Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Data Points

Page 1 of 1
I have a data point installed downstairs for the TV, but now we have Fetch and a PS5 down there, can i easily plug a switch into the data point and then the 3 devices into the switch to make things easy?
dmm12
I have a data point installed downstairs for the TV, but now we have Fetch and a PS5 down there, can i easily plug a switch into the data point and then the 3 devices into the switch to make things easy?

Yes, thats what a network switch does...
So another question, I can plug on into the back of the modem then have the switch connected to a video doorbell and back into the data point feeding the house?
dmm12
So another question, I can plug on into the back of the modem then have the switch connected to a video doorbell and back into the data point feeding the house?

You connect the switch to the modem via RJ45 cable, and then attach whatever devices you want to the switch.

As for getting interconnectivity, you need to configure that on the switch, I am won't be able to give much help unless you tell me which switch you are getting and what's its capable of.

But in short, YES, you can interconnect the devices so they can communicate with each other, I think your device should have some auto detection to detect other devices anyways, so may be also check your device you want to inter-connect
dmm12

if i understand you correctly this is the same set up, just earlier on in the chain.

fibre to modem/router> network> switch > devices

VS

fibre to modem> switch > network > devices

The switch should work along anywhere in the chain, and doesnt sound like youre trying to loop back through a device liek the doorbell. That would make less sense.

Normally there would be multiple data points in your house and the second optioon above would be the normal set up. You can then daisy chain switches from the data points aswell if you need to, but I'd recommend doing yourself a favour and just getting a decent mesh network.

Sound liek you still have datapoints to have wired connections if necessary, but for everything else, you dont want to be setting up wired connections if you dont have to
ponzutwo
dmm12

if i understand you correctly this is the same set up, just earlier on in the chain.

VS

The switch should work along anywhere in the chain, and doesnt sound like youre trying to loop back through a device liek the doorbell. That would make less sense.

Normally there would be multiple data points in your house and the second optioon above would be the normal set up. You can then daisy chain switches from the data points aswell if you need to, but I'd recommend doing yourself a favour and just getting a decent mesh network.

Sound liek you still have datapoints to have wired connections if necessary, but for everything else, you dont want to be setting up wired connections if you dont have to

Essentially I have 4 data points in the house and theres only 4 ethernets ports on the modem but i have the video doobell in 1 port so that leaves me 3 but for data points i need to feed. So trying to fogure out how i best go about covering all connections
dmm12
ponzutwo
dmm12

VS

Essentially I have 4 data points in the house and theres only 4 ethernets ports on the modem but i have the video doobell in 1 port so that leaves me 3 but for data points i need to feed. So trying to fogure out how i best go about covering all connections

just put a switch between one of the outbound ports of the modem and the data points you want to feed from it inside the cabinet. The rest of the modem outbound ports can directly feed the data points in your cabinet. You can even just get a 2 port switch for like 30 bucks. They're pretty much plug and play unless you want to get into guest networks, and going heavy handed on your network security.
oh wait does the doorbell connection not come back to teh cabinet?
Doorbell is the homebase thats connected directly to modem, or i guess into the switch
If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh homebase with your modem. At wich point you can just put a switch betwene oden and Eufy. Though th eEufy Homebase can perform wirelessly, so you only need to connect it with a wired connection to set it up the first time. Just a thought.
Related
12/07/2023
Prewiring a House for Data, CCTV, and Future-Proofing

Building A New House

Scientists have used random matrix theory to demonstrate theoretically that the neutrino mass hierarchy can be explained mathematically. When a substance is fragmented…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum