Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New build - uneven tiles

Page 1 of 1
Hey community,

I have just got my new home done and moved in.... straight away I noticed the tiles are uneven, badly cut to wrong dimensions at corners and covered with large grout... walking on the tiles and I can feel the sharp edges of the tiles are pinching our feet and causing discomfort. The whole floor is that way unfortunately. When mentioned to the builder, they got back saying the 'tile' I have chosen itself is of that way. It is 600x1200 polished tiles and looks straight away to me that the adhesive bed underneath was not put evenly and causing unevenness.

Here is the link to the video that shows the tiling job done - please see it in full so you know the whole floor's situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THluX0H-rvE

The tile I have chosen is this: https://www.beaumont-tiles.com.au/10101 ... e-polished

Anyone who had such issue with a new build and what options I have to get it right ?
Some photos attached

I hope this help you newhome_24,

AS3958.1 is the Ceramic Tile Installation Standard.

It specifies the tolerances for the installation of tiles.

The tile supplier is responsible to ensure the tiles comply with AS 4662

Here are some extracts from AS3958.1

Joint widths should be consistent throughout the installation unless otherwise specified. The recommended joint widths are as follows:

(i) Floors:

(A) Dust-pressed tiles..........................................................................3 mm.

(B) Extruded tiles................................................................................6 mm.

(ii) Walls:

(A) Dust-pressed tiles.......................................................................1.5 mm.

(B) Extruded tiles................................................................................6 mm.

5.4.6 Tile finish and joints
The recommendations for tile finish and joints are as follows:
(a) When measured with a straightedge, the finished surface of the tiling should be flat and true to within a tolerance of ±4 mm in 2 m from the required plane.

The lippage between two adjacent tiles should not exceed 2 mm. In the case of tiles where the surface has been ground flat, for example polished tiles, the lippage should not exceed 1.5 mm, and for joint widths of 3.0 mm or less the lippage should not exceed1.0 mm.

NOTE: Lippage is inherent in all installation methods and may also be unavoidable due to the tile tolerances. Lippage may also be unavoidable where tiles larger than 150 x 150 mm are graded to a waste outlet, unless transverse cuts are incorporated.

May the Standards be with you
Related
14/03/2024
Building on uneven land

Building A New House

I don't think you're getting a response because you are not quite clear on what the issue is. yep, the site is not level, no site is! but are you just building a garage?…

4/06/2024
Are these windows gaps and uneven brick finishing acceptable

Building A New House

B, You and I know each other well outside of the forum, and I really like you. So I am not meaning any ill will by the following comments. I have been with you on this…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum