Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How to kill building contract

Page 1 of 1
Building with a custom home builder in SA. I had asked my builder for making coffered ceiling with LED light provision, however during framing stage I discovered that he just have raised ceiling.

I had sent him picture of a ceiling which I wanted, and he gave me something different which I actually hate

Now, when I asked him to correct his mistake, he is asking me to pay 10k extra.

The reason he is giving is that the cost of the ceiling I asked for is not included in the contract, although 3m ceiling was included in the contract, the plan clearly shows LED light provision which is not possible based on the ceiling builder has given as LED needs to be concealed as per the attached pic, and the builder has given me ceiling which does not have this provision.

The question is if I am not ready to pay 10k and I am building on Cash, can I kill the contract as the ceiling he gave is not what I agreed to?

Ceiling I asked for is below, and the red line is what he has not made

This is what the current ceiling will look like which builder has done and I HATE it

This is what drawing says for ceiling, it clearly shows LED strip light provision, how can someone install LED lights directly in ceiling without it being concealed, I am not celebrating Christmas 24x7 with such lights.
A coffered ceiling is something different again.

Seems like a miscommunication, 10k is a bit much for that too. I would start by apologising for not making it clear and see what resolution you can get and ask for a cost breakdown. You can use extrusions to conceal the led strip to get a similar effect.

https://linearlux.com.au/product/ll-pr-wl-5314/
This is called 2 level ceiling and does generally require the usage of special profile for lighting (not just bulkhead profile which your builder probably used):

https://www.ledrise.eu/blog/cove-lighting/

See second drawing here:

But yes extrusions might be a cheaper option, although the lighting won't be really concealed in this case and won't look as good as proper cove lighting.
that drawing is just your lighting plan, not structural plans. Check those and see what it looks like.

also cancelling your contract could become more expensive than you realise at this point. Id say slow your roll and take a look at the plans properly, what do they show (not assume), and then work with the builder to solve amicably.
ponzutwo
that drawing is just your lighting plan, not structural plans. Check those and see what it looks like.

also cancelling your contract could become more expensive than you realise at this point. Id say slow your roll and take a look at the plans properly, what do they show (not assume), and then work with the builder to solve amicably.

You are right, and the structural plan does NOT have that arrangement which I want. The new amended drawing after complaining has it and the arrangement is only 125mm, I am not sure how it will achieve the LED light effect.
And for this builder wants 3.5k, and it doesn't even include LED itself, just the frame and plasterboard.
ownerinproblem
ponzutwo

You are right, and the structural plan does NOT have that arrangement which I want. The new amended drawing after complaining has it and the arrangement is only 125mm, I am not sure how it will achieve the LED light effect.
And for this builder wants 3.5k, and it doesn't even include LED itself, just the frame and plasterboard.

Right so the plans you originally signed off didn't have the detail you wanted and you expected the builder would know based on verbal communication. To put it bluntly, that's your fault and canceling a contract on that basis would likley have seen you sued.

This is one you're going to need to wear or calmly work with the builder in resolving. Given the framing is up, any retrofit work that cant be done int the existing structure will cost you a lot of money. And so it should. You agreed to a plan, then got angry when you realised the plans you agreed to didnt include the vision you had in your head. This comes under a variation to your contract and AFAIK the builder doesnt have to agree to it either, not for this.

regarding your lighting not being included, check the schedule of your lighting plan for the item. The plan shows it and its connection to a light switch, so you should have a corresponding line item. If not, and youve signe doff on it, youl'll need to work out from your contract what takes precedence, the lighting plan or the schedule. either way if it hasnt been costed into your build, you still have to pay for the goods. Nothing is free my friend.

You should adjust your position here with the builder, this is not his mistake, its yours. And the more you carry on like its their fault, the less likley youre going to get any flexibility or concessions from the for anything else that comes up.
ponzutwo
ownerinproblem
ponzutwo

Right so the plans you originally signed off didn't have the detail you wanted and you expected the builder would know based on verbal communication. To put it bluntly, that's your fault and canceling a contract on that basis would likley have seen you sued.

This is one you're going to need to wear or calmly work with the builder in resolving. Given the framing is up, any retrofit work that cant be done int the existing structure will cost you a lot of money. And so it should. You agreed to a plan, then got angry when you realised the plans you agreed to didnt include the vision you had in your head. This comes under a variation to your contract and AFAIK the builder doesnt have to agree to it either, not for this.

regarding your lighting not being included, check the schedule of your lighting plan for the item. The plan shows it and its connection to a light switch, so you should have a corresponding line item. If not, and youve signe doff on it, youl'll need to work out from your contract what takes precedence, the lighting plan or the schedule. either way if it hasnt been costed into your build, you still have to pay for the goods. Nothing is free my friend.

You should adjust your position here with the builder, this is not his mistake, its yours. And the more you carry on like its their fault, the less likley youre going to get any flexibility or concessions from the for anything else that comes up.

The original plan I signed I did not know how it would show in a plan, the original plan said 300 MM bulkhead, and LED around it made me think its the same ceiling I requested. When he gave amended plan, only then I knew how it should look on paper

The electrical arrangement is there for LED and I am not asking for LED from him anyways.

Its the excessive cost of 7K for 2 ceilings that I am not happy with.

This is the hallway for which he wants 3.5k, the length of the hallways is 13 meters and width is 1080 mm
the old " i didnt understand/misunderstood the plans" situation isnt going to help you. It all boils down to your mistake. So moving forward....

(13mx2)+(1.08mx2) = 28.16m
$3,500/28.16m = $124.29 per meter

Take that $ figure and multiply it by the length of the perimiter of teh area that needs rectification in the living area. If is any significant amount off from the quoted figure of $7k, speak to teh builder about it.

Let us know what $ you come back with

edit - also what about your entry lounge, youve not mentioned that. Is that needing to be addressed also?
ponzutwo
the old " i didnt understand/misunderstood the plans" situation isnt going to help you. It all boils down to your mistake. So moving forward....

Take that $ figure and multiply it by the length of the perimiter of teh area that needs rectification in the living area. If is any significant amount off from the quoted figure of $7k, speak to teh builder about it.

edit - also what about your entry lounge, youve not mentioned that. Is that needing to be addressed also?

THANK you so much for being of such great help! I am a 1st time builder

And the cost for hallway IS for the entire length of it, as thats what I had originally requested

This is another living room for which he wants 3k which I still find reasonable as there is a drop down ceiling inside the bulkhead

alexp79
This is called 2 level ceiling and does generally require the usage of special profile for lighting (not just bulkhead profile which your builder probably used):

https://www.ledrise.eu/blog/cove-lighting/

See second drawing here:

But yes extrusions might be a cheaper option, although the lighting won't be really concealed in this case and won't look as good as proper cove lighting.

Thank you for this image, for my ceiling there is an L shaped bulkhead which will conceal the LED, if you scroll up you would see where the LED will go.
Pulse
A coffered ceiling is something different again.

Seems like a miscommunication, 10k is a bit much for that too. I would start by apologising for not making it clear and see what resolution you can get and ask for a cost breakdown. You can use extrusions to conceal the led strip to get a similar effect.

https://linearlux.com.au/product/ll-pr-wl-5314/

Do you have any real life image of this setup, I considering all my options
ponzutwo

I ended up refusing to pay that silly amount for ceiling, and the builder ended up changing 1st Living room ceiling in revenge and still charging 3k, so I ended up removing front Ceiling room as well!
Game over
ownerinproblem
ponzutwo

I ended up refusing to pay that silly amount for ceiling, and the builder ended up changing 1st Living room ceiling in revenge and still charging 3k, so I ended up removing front Ceiling room as well!
Game over

I like the bit where you think you won.

Now you don't have the feature you wanted and you have a terrible relationship with your builder while there's still building going on Rofl.

The irony of this is is that after all that, it was still your fault.

Game over, indeed.
ponzutwo
ownerinproblem
ponzutwo

Game over

Now you don't have the feature you wanted and you have a terrible relationship with your builder while there's still building going on Rofl.

Game over, indeed.

Right, and as if asking 7K for a 2K job is cementing the relationship.

You HAVE to be someone from the building industry who can come up with such silly logic

anyways......

This forum was indeed helpful.
ownerinproblem
ponzutwo
ownerinproblem
Game over

Game over, indeed.

Right, and as if asking 7K for a 2K job is not cementing the relationship.

You HAVE to be someone from the building industry who can come up with such silly logic

anyways......

2k job lol.

Enjoy your home 🤣
ponzutwo
ownerinproblem
ponzutwo

Game over, indeed.

Right, and as if asking 7K for a 2K job is not cementing the relationship.

anyways......

2k job lol.

Enjoy your home 🤣

Ok
Related
3/09/2023
Contract Sum Adjustments in HIA contract

Building A New House

You talk about deletions, are they variations or PS and PC adjustments? pleas list them

9/02/2024
Should a building contract be checked by lawyers?

Building A New House

I've decided, after a period of confusion (my building broker told me it's probably not worth it to use a lawyer, but others have said it is a must) that I definitely will…

15/12/2023
Building Contract

Building A New House

Build on a flat block! what you saved by buying the slope sensitive block will be double what the builder will charge you!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum