Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building on extremely reactive soil

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

I'm in the process of building a house on an E2 soil with an expected movement of 105-115mm. Not really interested in whether or not we should be building on such soil as we don't have an option.

The engineers came back with a footings design with deeper beams (800mm) instead of piers. They claim the system is more than enough to cope with ground movement provided we stick to their recommendations around keeping the water away from the house. They also made sure to put notes on the design warning that external pipe breakage may occur and that we must accept that repairs are likely to be needed for cracks on linings, plasterboard etc.

My builder invoked the "I have been working with them for 15 years+ and have never had any issues with their designs" but that's easy to say when you structural guarantee is only 5 years. I've asked them to go back to the engineer and come up with a design that include piers to support the slab but I have the feeling they will ask us to pay for the re-design even though our contract has an allowance for piers.

Do structural engineers need some sort of accreditation and is there anywhere I can look them up for claims, issues etc? For instance, here in QLD you can lookup builders on QBCC's website but I haven't been able to find anything for engineering firms.
luckyhomeowner
Hi everyone

I'm in the process of building a house on an E2 soil with an expected movement of 105-115mm. Not really interested in whether or not we should be building on such soil as we don't have an option.

The engineers came back with a footings design with deeper beams (800mm) instead of piers. They claim the system is more than enough to cope with ground movement provided we stick to their recommendations around keeping the water away from the house. They also made sure to put notes on the design warning that external pipe breakage may occur and that we must accept that repairs are likely to be needed for cracks on linings, plasterboard etc.

My builder invoked the "I have been working with them for 15 years+ and have never had any issues with their designs" but that's easy to say when you structural guarantee is only 5 years. I've asked them to go back to the engineer and come up with a design that include piers to support the slab but I have the feeling they will ask us to pay for the re-design even though our contract has an allowance for piers.

Do structural engineers need some sort of accreditation and is there anywhere I can look them up for claims, issues etc? For instance, here in QLD you can lookup builders on QBCC's website but I haven't been able to find anything for engineering firms.

Hi Luckyhomeowner

Sorry that I don't know the answer to your question there in queensland, but I would be really interested in taking a look at your slab design if possible. My partner is a structural engineer so I can get his opinion.

Is there anyway you can post a screenshot or email it too me address is simeon@ashingtonhomes.com.au

Cheers

Simeon
With such movement you might probably be better off by simply replacing 300 cm of soil with compacted gravel and sand and then going for 250 mm flat reinforced slab (without any footings, the whole slab is just one big footing) over. Perimeter drainage will be must too.
Ashington Homes
luckyhomeowner
Hi everyone

Hi Luckyhomeowner

Sorry that I don't know the answer to your question there in queensland, but I would be really interested in taking a look at your slab design if possible. My partner is a structural engineer so I can get his opinion.

Is there anyway you can post a screenshot or email it too me address is simeon@ashingtonhomes.com.au

Cheers

Simeon

Hi Simeon, I've sent you an email. Thanks for your help.
The simple answer is to get another engineering opinion but the real questions is why are you not getting piers if they are in the contract?
building-expert
The simple answer is to get another engineering opinion but the real questions is why are you not getting piers if they are in the contract?

It's an allowance. If no piers are required then we are credited back.
luckyhomeowner
Ashington Homes
luckyhomeowner
Hi everyone

Hi Luckyhomeowner

Cheers

Simeon

Hi Simeon, I've sent you an email. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, got your plans.

I am 99% sure that I understand why the engineer has designed it this way, but I will get a second opinion monday and respond privately.

It is important to note that the engineer hasn't excluded piers but is saying that it is is subject to compaction testing given the amount of cut and fill you are doing on your site.

Anyway, give me till Monday and I will shoot you a full response.

Cheers

Simeon
With that sort of soil type if you ask for a design to include piers then I would also include void formers. That way you should reduce the chances of settlement and heave.
Related
12/07/2023
Soil against brick shed

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I'm in WA and our sandy soils make drainage a bit easier but this is what I'd be doing. Dig down to your footings and let the wall dry out. Clean it all well by brushing…

24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

12/09/2023
Sand or soil to fill in a trench

General Discussion

sand is better drainage than soil

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum