Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Page 1 of 1
We are planning to build a house on a 500m2 5m sloping block. So, trying to cut/fill to create a flat single level slab..

What is the maximum height/depth of a Drop Edge Beam of a slab. Just trying to avoid other retaining solutions and just use the concrete slab edge.
Does this image from AS2870 Fig3.5 page36 mean maximum depth is 1500mm?
rks
We are planning to build a house on a 500m2 5m sloping block. So, trying to cut/fill to create a flat single level slab..

What is the maximum height/depth of a Drop Edge Beam of a slab. Just trying to avoid other retaining solutions and just use the concrete slab edge.
Does this image from AS2870 Fig3.5 page36 mean maximum depth is 1500mm?

rks

Most concretors and engineers we have consulted don't like going over 1200mm as a maximum. And even then, depending on your ground conditions the engineers will typical want a brick/strip footing over 1000mm.

It also comes down to the weight of your structure as well, ie what your external walls are constructed from.

I think technically you can do 1500mm if your concretor is willing, but you need to find a willing one.

I hope this helps

Simeon
Thanks Ashington Homes.. Perfect answer.
I had a similar issue with my sloping block. I overcame it by doing 2 DEB's to the ground floor.

Each build site is different as is each owners budget so there are Pros and Cons to adding an extra DEB to the slab design like I have done.

Check out my build thread here - https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=102241 and a couple pics below.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the reply... What is the distance between these DEBs? Is there a standard for the distance between DEBs?
Both my drop edges are not a simple straight line across the slab. The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.
Related
11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

30/10/2023
Drop edge beam

General Discussion

I would like to build our new house with the rear section approx 1 metre out of the ground, I don't particularly like to go bearers and joists so concrete slab all the way…

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum