Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

General questions about building before I go to my builder

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we're doing a double storey KDRB in Sydney, not experienced house builders. Small to medium company that do custom designs.
After slow going design and material selection stage, our slab went down in March this year and the build has been going pretty well time-wise. Gypocked now. We have not engaged an 'independent' inspector. Not allowed on site unless requested.

My questions:
1) My understanding is that the builder has to get the framing inspected before moving onto the next stage? Is there paperwork given to the builder for this? Should the client get a copy? Does the inspection check that the framing has been done according to the plan, or just some other sort of general defect. If the latter, who checks its been done to plan?

2) Ducted air con - the designer/architect would design where these go, right? Is there a situation where adding a vertical stack or bulkheads for horizontal ducting comes up during the build? That is, is that 'normal'?

3) Weren't given stormwater plans with a our copy of construction plans. I downloaded from council because we did a DA. But anyway, didn't have them, so didn't know in advance (yes, we are newbies) where downpipes were going. We have one going straight down the facade but in a dogleg fashion. We may be able to tuck the bottom section behind a column, but means more dog legging and a 45 degree off the porch to the ground. Is that going to affect its function?
Am I getting 'too involved' in how this looks? I've seen some new houses with downpipes at front and some not.

Don't want to name them at the moment, but might later. Not very common on this site but have been mentioned, & at least one member is currently building with them.

Thanks for reading
I recommend you get independent inspector to look after your stage inspections.
Mandatory inspections should be noted on your building permit, and yes the frame stage bshould be inspected and approved. You can request inspection certificate from the building surveyor.
Competent building design will allow for placement of ducting and if bulkheads/stacks are required they will be shown on plan, similarly downpipes should be placed for compliance, functionality and aesthetic appearance. Dog leg downpipes are dogs dinner. How cheap was your designer?
Thanks for your comments.

There some stacks already in the plan. Another was needed apparently, and we had two bulkheads added in the ground floor. I just couldn't believe that these weren't planned for. Our construction project manager agreed that was a fair question.

The framing...some parts have not been done to plan. One was picked up earlier (not by us), and two by me. One is major by my reckoning as directly impacts the kitchen design & as mentioned everything is gyprocked (but what would I know). Hence my question about who checks & what they check? It will be fixed I'm sure, otherwise the kitchen won't work, but it's stupid.

Downpipe at front. The facade has one half forward of the other half. The upper storey downpipe runs down the side of the forward section, but below that is the front porch, and the pipe has been slated to run down the forward-facing front wall. The electricals for the exterior light are right next to where that would be. Project manager suggested running it down behind the column on the porch - this would necessitate those dog legs or 45 degree angles.

Yes, should have got independent inspections.
can you post photos
SGT
Hi, we're doing a double storey KDRB in Sydney, not experienced house builders. Small to medium company that do custom designs.
After slow going design and material selection stage, our slab went down in March this year and the build has been going pretty well time-wise. Gypocked now. We have not engaged an 'independent' inspector. Not allowed on site unless requested.

My questions:
1) My understanding is that the builder has to get the framing inspected before moving onto the next stage? Is there paperwork given to the builder for this? Should the client get a copy? Does the inspection check that the framing has been done according to the plan, or just some other sort of general defect. If the latter, who checks its been done to plan?

2) Ducted air con - the designer/architect would design where these go, right? Is there a situation where adding a vertical stack or bulkheads for horizontal ducting comes up during the build? That is, is that 'normal'?

3) Weren't given stormwater plans with a our copy of construction plans. I downloaded from council because we did a DA. But anyway, didn't have them, so didn't know in advance (yes, we are newbies) where downpipes were going. We have one going straight down the facade but in a dogleg fashion. We may be able to tuck the bottom section behind a column, but means more dog legging and a 45 degree off the porch to the ground. Is that going to affect its function?
Am I getting 'too involved' in how this looks? I've seen some new houses with downpipes at front and some not.

Don't want to name them at the moment, but might later. Not very common on this site but have been mentioned, & at least one member is currently building with them.

Thanks for reading

SGT

By any chance are you using a chinese builder?

Cheers

Simeon
Ashington Homes
SGT

My questions:

Thanks for reading

SGT

Cheers

Simeon

Hi Simeon, no not Chinese.
building-expert
can you post photos

I’ll try later today. There’s still scaffolding all over the bottom half of the house. It is hard to see. Not supposed to go on site without the project manager.
SGT
Ashington Homes
SGT

My questions:

Thanks for reading

SGT

Cheers

Simeon

Hi Simeon, no not Chinese.

Oh I thought from your issues it might be one I know.

If you want, give me a call today and I'll run through your issues as I typing will take too long

My number is 0431 712 792. Just in a meeting at 10.30-11.30

Cheers

Simeon
SGT
Not supposed to go on site without the project manager.

It appears you are the only person in the whole of Australia that actually has taken this at face value.
Not the case. But I wrote that, as some builders are ok with it.
Hi again, busy week at work, couldn't get back here with photos till now.
Ok, so the downpipe isn't a 'dogleg' right now; I think I was getting confused with the conversation on site we had about it.

The photo of the top storey of the pipe is taken looking straight up from the front porch below. On the right of the photo is a column which sits at the front of the porch. On the left of the photo is the wall next to the front door.
Looking at the close-up of the stormwater plan, it looks like the idea was to bring the bottom half of the pipe down along the left side of the front column, if looking from the street.

What would be the implications of running it behind the column instead of to the side (to hide it from street)? There would have to be a bit of pipe running off at an angle from the floor of porch so that water isn't running onto the porch.

Is it best to just keep it on the side and paint it the same colour as the column?

Thanks again for reading

It looks like the downpipe was always meant to be to the side of brick pier. To bring it to the back would be a variation to the building contract, require moving the drain and possibly damaging slab/footing. The builder may refuse.

This is why pre contract review may have picked up the issue before you signed off.
Post your front elevation
building-expert
It looks like the downpipe was always meant to be to the side of brick pier. To bring it to the back would be a variation to the building contract, require moving the drain and possibly damaging slab/footing. The builder may refuse.

This is why pre contract review may have picked up the issue before you signed off.

We never saw the stormwater plan, & our elevations (that we have) don’t show them. We’ve spoken briefly about it with builder, & will again this week.
Just wanted other opinions about whether it’s a bad idea to try change it. I’m thinking we’ll leave it.
Thanks for your response 🙂
You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.
Related
2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

3/10/2023
Building fence before the house

Building A New House

Building a fence now will help limit people dumping rubbish and soil on your property. Many houses in suburbia on small lots have fences up before a build. I moved into a…

8/02/2024
Building a new home , insurance questions

Building A New House

Hi Suku18 In NSW the statutory required insurances are: 1. HBCF ( Home Building Compensation Fund) - This is if the builder dies or goes broke. But this only covers 20%…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum