Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Built-in wardrobe: MDF?

Page 1 of 1
Hi

We're looking to build a built-in wardrobe ourselves. Is it a good idea to use MDF like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dhWX7z_NfQ? The doors here are MDF as well. Is a proper frame needed?

Any advice appreciated.
I would say not. You'd want to use melaminefaced MDF. The melamine provides a more durable surface and won't dent or be as easily damaged as raw MDF. Just scuff the surface before painting or find a paint that bonds to melamine. Get an approapriate high build primer/sealer for the raw edges.

If you can't find a local supplier, most cabinet shops will sell you full boards. They might even cut it for you at a reasonable price which would likely be cleaner cuts than you'd be able to manage yourself. If you cut yourself, ensure a nice clean and sharp blade. It's normally best to do a shallow scoring pass or otherwise ensure the good side is facing down so any tearout/chipping happen on the less critical side.
Whilst MDF is not as hard as melamine, it takes paint quite readily compared to melamine.
The edges of melamine really need to have banding as the particle board is quite porus.
Realistically, if you want a cabinet, and don't have the tools, add your time to the materials and just go buy a kit or flatpak.
So for me, I make a carcass out of melamine (from the green box) that I buy in sheets and rip down with a track saw, edge band and assemble using domino's, and use painted MRMDF for the doors which I buy at a Cabinet makers supply store.
That's the cheapest way for me, but I'm very fortunate to have the tools. Oh and time. ( id rather do this then an overtime shift)
I should add, that to paint the cut edges of MDF use primer Filler from an auto store. It doesn't raise the MDF and fills the small voids.
Just to clarify, I was referring to melamine-faced MDF, not chipboard/particle board
Ops sorry, missed it.
Probably a not bad thing to mention particle board should in case anyone else reading this got the two confused.
Related
8/08/2023
Polyurethane wardrobe door touch up

General Discussion

Normally you use builders bog. Polyurethane painting is basically the same principle as car panel beating and painting. All the prep work is the same and so is the…

29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

9/08/2023
Built-in Shelving

General Discussion

Strong enough for what? For linen, absolutely. To climb on, no. I've got similar shelving in my garage and it holds a decent amount of weight. 900 wide shelves will carry…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum