Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Orange rust spots one driveway

Page 1 of 1
Hey there,
I was wondering what exactly causes those orange rust spots to appear on someone's driveway and what can be done to prevent it?
It's rust of reinforcing in concrete (concrete cancer) it's caused when the reinforcing steel has inadequate cover.
Prevention? Ensure adequate concrete cover.
Remedy? None.
Is it exposed aggregate? Does the stain come from small located spots?
If so, it's most likely some ironstone aggregate.
It's a naturally occurring formation in some rocks and sometimes odd little bits end up in the mix.
The staining itself can be removed with an iron stain remover but it will come back. If it's exposed aggregate you can locate the stone in the surface and remove it, then clean the stain.
Here is an explanation and resource that describes how to deal with it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 5zKGyTOgrH

If it's incorrectly placed reinforcement then you will have major problems going forward but most of the time it's what I've noted above.
Could also be as a result of fertilizer application, not sweeping granules off the concrete and those granules then getting wet.
Most lawn foods contain some iron sulphates
Althom
Could also be as a result of fertilizer application, not sweeping granules off the concrete and those granules then getting wet.
Most lawn foods contain some iron sulphates

This happened to mine. Some simple bleach fixed the stains
Got to be on to it quickly though.
If the driveways isn't sealed and it has time to work it's way in it's there for good
Very common on rendered homes

Smaller suppliers get the lower quality raw materials
Related
21/01/2024
rust on house I Beams

General Discussion

THanks , l got a licensed building inspector to look at the rust, he said its just surface rust and it would take many years to become a problem because the beams are so…

8/01/2024
How should l remove rust from steel i beams

General Discussion

if l cannot get a sandblaster would a sander with sandpaper be better then a wire brush

7/03/2024
Best rust killer/converter for galvanized steel post

General Discussion

That just protects from further rust, l want first to apply a rust converter or rust killer to kill the rust thats there, whats the best one for galvanized steel

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum