Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Page 1 of 1
I read on a forum for another for people building with a builder I considered at one stage, about this person who was charged for rock removal from their site, but has evidence the builder didn't find rock on the site.

Does the standard HIA contract allow for the owner to pull the builder up on charging them for something they didn't do/need?
This is why owners that try to save hundereds by not paying for independent inspector end up paying tens of thousands more.
There is a contract protocol for managing variations and PS adjustments and if you dont know how it works you will pay.
theotherengineer
I read on a forum for another for people building with a builder I considered at one stage, about this person who was charged for rock removal from their site, but has evidence the builder didn't find rock on the site.

Does the standard HIA contract allow for the owner to pull the builder up on charging them for something they didn't do/need?

Thats theft, and if the owner has legally sufficient proof it can be dealt with via a fair trading application for a restitution order. They may consider lodging an application and following the appropriate process. Give the builder a fair opportunity to refund the money first, however.
building-expert
This is why owners that try to save hundereds by not paying for independent inspector end up paying tens of thousands more.
There is a contract protocol for managing variations and PS adjustments and if you dont know how it works you will pay.

I read they did have an inspector, just maybe not a great one.

If you don't mind me asking, given no one has an inspector sitting on site 24/7 and no owner goes to site multiple times a day to check on things (and things can happen when someone isn't checking), how can an inspector help here after the fact? How would you know, for example, that the builder didn't have a rocky site?
theotherengineer
building-expert

I read they did have an inspector, just maybe not a great one.

If you don't mind me asking, given no one has an inspector sitting on site 24/7 and no owner goes to site multiple times a day to check on things (and things can happen when someone isn't checking), how can an inspector help here after the fact? How would you know, for example, that the builder didn't have a rocky site?

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.
Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

13/05/2024
Builder demanding 15% variation amount as provisional Sum.

Building A New House

Sorry to hear. All the advice you are going to get on this one comes down to what your contract says and what variations are allowed and the mechanism for them. For…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum