Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Excavation for landscaping

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have to do landscaping at the rear of the property. I am worried after the builder builds the house side access would only be 1.2m. This might mean that I might not be able to get excavation machines to the back of the property after house built.

I am thinking of getting a excavation guy soon after demolition to the site leveling at the rear. I guess I need to put some temporary retaining walls to protect the land until the handover to my own landcaping after. Depth of cut is max around 800mm.

Any advise on temporary retaining wall types I can use. My land is quite big, I would say I will end up with 10m x 18m rectangular excavated area.

Please help guys.

Cheers
Netengineer
there are no good temporary retaining walls, either do the retaining wall first while you can use machinery to do it, ie large blocks or augers for holes, or do the levels and leave a batter that is naturally stable, like a 30% slope to make up the change in level.
Thank you Pulse, much appreciated. I am engaging a landscaping guy now.
netengineer
Depth of cut is max around 800mm.

netengineer
I am engaging a landscaping guy now.

Retaining walls in excess of 500mm high need to be engineered.
SaveH2O
netengineer

netengineer
I am engaging a landscaping guy now.

Retaining walls in excess of 500mm high need to be engineered.

Have neighbours with a landscaper building retaining wall ranging from 600-900mm high. Pretty sure there is no engineering plan at all as I ask the same landscaper do my 400mm retaining wall as well. Dig a trench, put poles and concrete, slide the retaining wall (sleepers) and that's it! Private certifier just ask for photos and sign it off after payment is made!
netengineer

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar but I should have asked.

Retaining wall regulations vary between States and even from council to council. NSW requires retaining walls 600mm or more above ground level to be engineered but you need to check with your council.
Related
4/08/2023
Excavation Cost Surprise

Building A New House

No one can give you a meaningful answer without looking at your building contract, what happened on site and who designed your house You should get experienced building…

5/02/2024
1st Storey addition vs Lower level excavation

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, We’ve recently had plans approved to add a 1st storey addition to our existing house for a growing family in Sydney. With the current cost of building…

20/04/2024
Excavation pool costs

Buying Land

We just had a pool dig and was told by our contractor the pool would need piers. They spoke to the engineer who advised the piers would need to be concrete. When the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum