Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

gas line re-purposed to water main?

Page 1 of 1
We had been planning to install natural gas to a new build but have gone off the idea.

The plumber suggested to repurpose the gas line to a water mains and save installation. I wasn't aware that gas and water use the same type of pipe to feeds into homes. Is this right?
KangarooBuilder
We had been planning to install natural gas to a new build but have gone off the idea.

The plumber suggested to repurpose the gas line to a water mains and save installation. I wasn't aware that gas and water use the same type of pipe to feeds into homes. Is this right?

I need to ask my plumber is this is okay, but notionally it sounds plausible.

Those mainline gas pipes are extremely expensive and robust so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

I am seeing my plumber later this week, so I shall ask his thoughts.

Cheers

Simeon
Ashington Homes
KangarooBuilder

Those mainline gas pipes are extremely expensive and robust so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Cheers

Simeon

Thanks would be interesting to hear their view, the context is the old builder went bust.
KangarooBuilder
Ashington Homes
KangarooBuilder

Cheers

Simeon

Thanks would be interesting to hear their view, the context is the old builder went bust.

I checked this morning and it should be fine.

The only issue is that all the pipes are colour coded, yellow is gas, black town cold water, red is hot water water and green is tank water so in the future someone may think the yellow is gas.
thanks Simeon appreciate your input.
Related
16/11/2023
Water Main Flooding?

General Discussion

Until you find the cause of the flooding you need to take action to mitigate potential damage to your home. Get automatic float pump and dig a pit then connect to power…

22/12/2023
Water main connection

Building A New House

Hi all I'm currently building a duplex in Sydney and we need to do a new water connection to the second unit. The water main is on the other side of the road so we need…

3/05/2024
Gas line through a footing

General Discussion

Hi all, I'm excavating a footing to build a front wall next to the footpath. I've excavated the footing (8 m long, 600 wide, 600 mm deep) and there is an old sleeved gas…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum