Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Change a builder before contract signing

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys

I am in desperate need of some help regarding where we stand if we walk away from our builder after signing the preliminary works agreement and paying $5000 deposit about 7 month ago.it seemed everything pretty much done and ready to start except a building permit. Now, I have just received a draft contract with the final version of floor plan. Which has many many missing updates and edits that I have requested more than a couple of times for last 3 months. Not even sure the floor plan has been reviewed at least by someone professional. And this is not first time, of course, it has always been like this every time when I see the floor plan at each important meeting and nothing has been improved till now

Finally enough is enough. I have lost all the reliability and trust on this builder and want to move on to another builder. So my question is, what should I do first and what documents should I ask the current builder?
This is pretty standard if you're building with a volume builder. You're going to have to same experience with the next one.

If there are more serious redflags, sure, I'd considder walking, but if this is all that's happened so far, just sort the plans out before signing the contract.
Been in a similar position and we decided to let the builder go. Some of the PSA money goes to engineering so we at least got those documents and they actually refunded us some of it as we did the prelim energy assessment and survey ourselves.

So make sure you get whatever documents you've paid for so you can use them with the next builder.

We did a lot of searching and found a more expensive builder, but they have far fewer builds and spend a lot more time with their clients. The difference is night and day in terms of service and competence. I think in most cases you get what you pay for.
Related
9/06/2024
Risk of signing contract before soil test

General Discussion

Oh ok, we had soil test done before demolition.

27/10/2023
Change to Contract

General Discussion

Thank you for this information.

3/09/2023
Contract Sum Adjustments in HIA contract

Building A New House

You talk about deletions, are they variations or PS and PC adjustments? pleas list them

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum