Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

"Manage site drainage from beginning of construction"

Page 1 of 1
I always seen on site plans a box that says "Manage site drainage from beginning of construction" and I've seen this mentioned somewhere before, maybe in the NCC or something. If builders are told to manage site drainage from the beginning then why do I always see water pooled on the ground in between the house and fence? I see this in every single new construction home. How is this also mitigated properly?
Carlito
If builders are told to manage site drainage from the beginning then why do I always see water pooled on the ground in between the house and fence?

because its not being managed.

Also "managed" is too broad and too subjective a term to be able to pinpoint a single event as not being managed properly. There is no exhaustive checklist as far as im aware.

Some builders will grade the earth from the slab as soon as its poured, there may be some storm pits installed and some makeshift spoon drains or swales put in. Some will do absolutely none of that. In both scenarios you may get slab heave down the track, in others you wont. There are many factors at play.

What you want to do is make sure you have regular dated pictures and records of the site and any interactions you have with the builders about site and drainage issues you are spotting (disconnected temp downpipes, pooling/ponding water against slab, earth graded towards slab etc). You will need to keep records of ongoing non compliance and devil may care attitude/correspondence from the builder to evidence that site drainage wasn’t managed “properly” should it ever become an issue.

Not ideal, but that’s what you’ve got to work with by that stage.
Related
3/07/2023
Drainage Problem

Landscape & Garden Design

Thank you for this information.

13/09/2023
Drainage solutions

General Discussion

I would find out how deep your clay base is and depending on the depth install a cut off drain which is more than a normal agi drain. Where the neighbouring walls is…

14/09/2023
New house land/slab drainage?

General Discussion

Thanks for the heads up mate, greatly appreciated 👍

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum