Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Where to look for to find Covenants on the property.

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I have been told by neighbours that the covenant in our estate in Park Ridge (Queensland) must have a garden bed for the letter box, however; I am unable to find any such covenant. I have looked on the certificate of title but nowhere I could find any covenant section. It only has a sub heading EASEMENTS, ENCUMBRANCES AND INTERESTS but it doesn't mention anything about requiring a garden bed at the front of the house.

Are you please able to advise where to look for covenants ?
foxdie
Hi,

I have been told by neighbours that the covenant in our estate in Park Ridge (Queensland) must have a garden bed for the letter box, however; I am unable to find any such covenant. I have looked on the certificate of title but nowhere I could find any covenant section. It only has a sub heading EASEMENTS, ENCUMBRANCES AND INTERESTS but it doesn't mention anything about requiring a garden bed at the front of the house.

Are you please able to advise where to look for covenants ?

they might be referring to design guidelines stipulated by the developer that built the estate, but i don't think those have to be adhered to past a certain point specified in the original land purchase contract. if your contract didn't reference any design guidelines, and there's no body corporate that enforces a certain look, then those no longer apply. also not following them would've probably just meant that whoever built the house would forfeit a landscaping bond, if they paid any.
The estate Covenants (design requirements) must be included in the land contract. If you purchased a resale block then the vender is required to provide/include a copy with the sale contract.
The estate covenant (developers design guidelines) are only enforceable while the developer still has an interest in the estate. In other words the covenant generally extinguishes upon settlement of the developers last block of land.

Hope this helps
Related
24/08/2023
Old Covenants in NSW - Something I learnt this week

Building A New House

Hi Everyone I learned something this week that I thought would be worth sharing. In NSW a lot of developers of subdivisions put covenants on the land which normally…

30/05/2024
I need the forum's help to find a new designer

Building A New House

I also notice that most the builds in Australia are really simplistic when it gets to the interior design and lighting design. Most of the builds are just offering off the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum