Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New home building help πŸ˜€

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys.
After 13 years in our previous build we have sold and on the roller coaster of the building journey againπŸ˜²πŸ˜€
Wow! How things have changed over the years!
Exciting and scary times ahead.
So different this time as we are using a larger project builder and have to go along the lines of having a colour consult, and all the extra costs outside the builders inclusions etc.
Now I understand those of you who have dealt with, and built with this type of builder.
We're building in regional victoria, a custom build basically, but elements of a combination of their various house plans.
So far I've picked the outside colours, I think lol.
Now is the hard part, trying to get ideas of the internal selections, before colour consultation. I'm very nervous of having to make so many selections in the one day lol.
I'm hoping you can help me along the way.
I would love to start a new home blog, but have no idea how to do this or how it works!
I'll try and upload what I've picked and thinking of so far πŸ˜€
Taffy
Hi guys.
After 13 years in our previous build we have sold and on the roller coaster of the building journey againπŸ˜²πŸ˜€
So different this time as we are using a larger project builder and have to go along the lines of having a colour consult, and all the extra costs outside the builders inclusions etc.
Now I understand those of you who have dealt with, and built with this type of builder.
We're building in regional victoria, a custom build basically, but elements of a combination of their various house plans.
Now is the hard part, trying to get ideas of the internal selections, before colour consultation. I'm very nervous of having to make so many selections in the one day lol.
I would love to start a new home blog, but have no idea how to do this or how it works!

Roof and gutter are Basalt
Facial garage door and windows are surf mist
Bricks are a light grey with off white mortar.
Taffy

When the brickies start, go to site and make sure yellow sand wasn't delivered. Quite often that's whats happening and the off-white mortar is turning out yellow or orange. Builders responses range from "nah thats off white" to " its in tolerance" Be mindful.
Taffy

we're in the same boat, building a custom house (not a fancy one, but custom) with a medium sized builder. so had to go through the process. in our case the builder had a studio that you could visit to see some of the options for the standard selections. however, we found that we don't really like any of their "standard" stuff, so what we did was get the names of their suppliers for everything, and visit their showrooms instead for our selections. by the time we attended the selection appointment we already had a full list of items we want included (as well as samples of what we want), so we just gave it to them. saved us a lot of time, and we were able to make choices without being rushed.

since we were doing all of this right in the middle of construction boom, there was plenty of time between drafting the plans and selection appointment for us to go to their suppliers several times and refine our choices.
ponzutwo
Taffy

When the brickies start, go to site and make sure yellow sand wasn't delivered. Quite often that's whats happening and the off-white mortar is turning out yellow or orange. Builders responses range from "nah thats off white" to " its in tolerance" Be mindful.

I was told to give the builder this from the brick company.
strannik
Taffy

we're in the same boat, building a custom house (not a fancy one, but custom) with a medium sized builder. so had to go through the process. in our case the builder had a studio that you could visit to see some of the options for the standard selections. however, we found that we don't really like any of their "standard" stuff, so what we did was get the names of their suppliers for everything, and visit their showrooms instead for our selections. by the time we attended the selection appointment we already had a full list of items we want included (as well as samples of what we want), so we just gave it to them. saved us a lot of time, and we were able to make choices without being rushed.

since we were doing all of this right in the middle of construction boom, there was plenty of time between drafting the plans and selection appointment for us to go to their suppliers several times and refine our choices.

Yes that's what I'm doing now.
My house not fancy.
Just 3 bed downsize to suit our needs.
I've been running around looking at stuffπŸ˜€
On the colour day the person will take me around all the places.
So hoping to get most things decided on so I can spend more time on tiles and kitchen cabinet πŸ˜€
Taffy
Hi guys.

I've narrowed the flooring down to these 2
Quickstep Impressive.
Soft Oak Grey
So Oak Light Grey
I'm not sure which one to go with.
There is another one called Saw Cut light grey but I'm not sure of the finish on that.
Taffy
Hi guys.

Taffy
Taffy
Hi guys.

I've narrowed the flooring down to these 2
Quickstep Impressive.
Soft Oak Grey
So Oak Light Brown
I'm not sure which one to go with.
There is another one called Saw Cut light grey but I'm not sure of the finish on that.
Taffy
ponzutwo
Taffy

I was told to give the builder this from the brick company.

And the problems start lol. "Light sand". Pretty subjective right? Their natural grey looks red too...

White brickies sand and off white cement for off white mortar. Anything else and you're going to have a problem with the colour, almost guaranteed.

Here's our natural grey.

Related
16/08/2023
QS fees for building a new home

General Discussion

Is it just a report written to give to the bank initially and it is based on what and how your payments are made up for, or is it a full service where they go out and…

8/02/2024
Building a new home , insurance questions

Building A New House

Hi Suku18 In NSW the statutory required insurances are: 1. HBCF ( Home Building Compensation Fund) - This is if the builder dies or goes broke. But this only covers 20%…

19/08/2023
New home

Building A New House

Skjm You might want to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKx-bsOr2jg If that link doesn't work go to youtube and search for Zac Homes ACA I am really…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum