Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Wisdom Homes

Page 1 of 4
Wisdom Homes have reached out to us to help resolve our issues and start a new relationship. After a quick talk this morning, Michael has already assured us he will put measures in place to better inform us of the schedule. I'm re-writing the original post to help facilitate getting this over the line. They seem quite positive they can sort out our concerns & catch up close to their original build time. Meeting with them this arvo to discuss so I'm grateful for the opportunity as are my family.

Thank you for all you comments. I will try and upload photos of the build as it progresses after Christmas when the roof and bricks are finished.

PS Michael didn't tell me to take down the post. Very reasonable & understanding.
its obvious that you don't understand how to make your contract work for you.

Delays due to inclement weather are limited in the contract, or they are included as part of the the whole build days time. Anything past the days to completion can be claimed as liquidated damages, which you are in control of due to withholding from the final payment.

You can put your name on this all you like, but you really need to be careful of possible action if anything you say is not explicitly provable to be the truth, like
Mark Ashcroft
I’ll also get replies to this saying “we had a great experience” but they’re just Wisdom workers and I won’t be able to reply. No one is happy with them.

building is a trying experience even at the best of times. The current climate makes it that much more stressfull. You are also adding to this stress by lashing out. It wont help.

If you want good communication for your builder, you need to manage them, set expectations and be pleasant to deal with while being firm and fair. Anything outside of this, you'll just get put in the ""difficult customer basket and it will be that much worse.

Good luck with your build.
Mark Ashcroft
I wish I went with a private builder and had more control and impute over my build.

No guarantee of that either.
Noname

Delays due to inclement weather are limited in the contract, or they are included as part of the the whole build days time. Anything past the days to completion can be claimed as liquidated damages, which you are in control of due to withholding from the final payment.

You can put your name on this all you like, but you really need to be careful of possible action if anything you say is not explicitly provable to be the truth, like
building is a trying experience even at the best of times. The current climate makes it that much more stressfull. You are also adding to this stress by lashing out. It wont help.

If you want good communication for your builder, you need to manage them, set expectations and be pleasant to deal with while being firm and fair. Anything outside of this, you'll just get put in the ""difficult customer basket and it will be that much worse.

Thx for the advice. I'm well past the point of pleasantness unfortunately. It really can't get much worse. They've cost us so much money with their delays so yes I'm going to be put in the difficult basket. I'm pretty sure I'm already there.

It is frustrating when you see your friends at landscaping when you've put your deposit down on the same month and at the same time Wisdom are making their own homes & selling them in record time.

The reason I keep a daily photographic record of the build is because of what other customers are telling us.

Stress. I have a terminally sick child, a mother just put on dialysis, fighting the asbestos board for my dad and I've recovered from cancer. Stress is part of my life.
Mark Ashcroft
Noname

Thx for the advice. I'm well past the point of pleasantness unfortunately. It really can't get much worse. They've cost us so much money with their delays so yes I'm going to be put in the difficult basket. I'm pretty sure I'm already there.

It is frustrating when you see your friends at landscaping when you've put your deposit down on the same month and at the same time Wisdom are making their own homes & selling them in record time.

The reason I keep a daily photographic record of the build is because of what other customers are telling us.

Stress. I have a terminally sick child, a mother just put on dialysis, fighting the asbestos board for my dad and I've recovered from cancer. Stress is part of my life.

it can get worse. Thinking it can't is exactly how it starts.

Sorry to hear about the rest of the challenges in your life. It sounds like there are bigger priorities to be focusing on than the delay to your home.

Just keep in mind that liquidated damages are in your control. I just went through this, had a two email back and forth with my builder defining the start/end date as defined by contract terms and paid them less.

It doesn't have to be as stressful as you're making it. Trust me, I've done this a number of times. Its never smooth, its never on time. Comparing other peoples progress to your own is also never helpful, because the number of variables that dictate the outcomes are huge.

A delay on one trade due to a case of covid for instance can push a build back several weeks even through the isolation time is one week. This is because all the other trades due to go on after the sick one, end up being pushed out and go on to other jobs and may not be available again until much later. One week delay to one trade doesn't equal one week delay to the overall timeline.

In my experience, being the angry demanding guy doesn't make thing move faster. If anything it slows things down.
Noname
Mark Ashcroft
Noname

it can get worse. Thinking it can't is exactly how it starts.

Sorry to hear about the rest of the challenges in your life. It sounds like there are bigger priorities to be focusing on than the delay to your home.

Just keep in mind that liquidated damages are in your control. I just went through this, had a two email back and forth with my builder defining the start/end date as defined by contract terms and paid them less.

It doesn't have to be as stressful as you're making it. Trust me, I've done this a number of times. Its never smooth, its never on time. Comparing other peoples progress to your own is also never helpful, because the number of variables that dictate the outcomes are huge.

A delay on one trade due to a case of covid for instance can push a build back several weeks even through the isolation time is one week. This is because all the other trades due to go on after the sick one, end up being pushed out and go on to other jobs and may not be available again until much later. One week delay to one trade doesn't equal one week delay to the overall timeline.

In my experience, being the angry demanding guy doesn't make thing move faster. If anything it slows things down.

Well good news...builders on-site today for the first time in weeks
Mark Ashcroft
Well good news...builders on-site today for the first time in weeks

yes, but that's not because you're up their behinds about it, they still have to build your home. Correlation does not imply causation
Noname
Mark Ashcroft
I wish I went with a private builder and had more control and impute over my build.

Agree with you Noname we have few friends using custom builder they are in so much delay as well still in framing stage since September ...so it is not only Wisdom has flaws ....weather and material/labour supplies are the major factors of these delays of which beyond their control.......we are building with Wisdom too and so far so good we are on our 32weeks and just yesterday we have stairs and Kitchen in working progress.....we hardly give pressure to them (either by calling or any other form of nuisance) they are the expert in building so we leave it to them....
Mark_Ashcroft for context i am assuming the liquidated damages (fixed delay compensation rate) provision in your build contract with Wisdom Homes is around $200 per week's delay but your costs of the construction delays like rent and finance etc. are over $1,500 per week. Are these realistic assumptions? Are those other customers active on FB that you mention in similar postions? AnnaP and diepiggy what are your contract liquidated damages rates with Wisdom per week?
AnnaP
Noname
Mark Ashcroft

Agree with you Noname we have few friends using custom builder they are in so much delay as well still in framing stage since September ...so it is not only Wisdom has flaws ....weather and material/labour supplies are the major factors of these delays of which beyond their control.......we are building with Wisdom too and so far so good we are on our 32weeks and just yesterday we have stairs and Kitchen in working progress.....we hardly give pressure to them (either by calling or any other form of nuisance) they are the expert in building so we leave it to them....

That sound too good to be true...I'm happy for you. My business deals with most all the building suppliers & the days of material shortage has come & gone. I'm paying them to do a job and if they're not doing it I'll be...as you say...a nuisance. I love the last line too. "Experts in building" ...makes you think.
Kippers01
@Mark_Ashcroft for context i am assuming the liquidated damages (fixed delay compensation rate) provision in your build contract with Wisdom Homes is around $200 per week's delay but your costs of the construction delays like rent and finance etc. are over $1,000 per week. Are these realistic assumptions? Are those other customers active on FB that you mention in similar postions? AnnaP and diepiggy what are your contract liquidated damages rates with Wisdom per week?

Hi Kippers, we have $40 per working day calculated on a daily basis
Kippers01
@Mark_Ashcroft for context i am assuming the liquidated damages (fixed delay compensation rate) provision in your build contract with Wisdom Homes is around $200 per week's delay but your costs of the construction delays like rent and finance etc. are over $1,500 per week. Are these realistic assumptions? Are those other customers active on FB that you mention in similar postions? AnnaP and diepiggy what are your contract liquidated damages rates with Wisdom per week?

It's not $200. From memory its about $13 per day. Yes they are active on FB. Their build is way over and they're fighting for compensation. They were just told you need to take into consideration public holidays & rain. Cazy...but they're not leaving it there. They're just scared fighting with them will cause even more delays.
Mark Ashcroft

Hey Mr WisdomHomes How about helping Mark out by finishing his home quickly.
You are adding further stress to his unfortunate personal situation.
annap From your posts I'm guessing you have some influence or connection/direct line to wisdom
why don't you throw some support behind Marks build?
check your contract. standard HIA amount is 250. If its any less/more, would have been covered in the special conditions which you signed off. $13 sounds laughable, and if that what's been signed, that's on you.

1500 a week extra costs seems like a bit of hyperbole.

I don't know why people are "fighting" for compensation. The contract terms are clear. There's nothing realy to fight over. If people cant structure a coherent email explaining the amount they're withholding from the final payment and why, a single visit to a lawyer would get the appropriate document drafted. Zero fighting required. Contracts are binding, what are these fights over?
StructuralBIMGuy
Mark Ashcroft

annap From your posts I'm guessing you have some influence or connection/direct line to wisdom

StructuralBIMGuy i only deal with our SS and Site Admin .....but i have seen one of the post here that was answered by Mark Scully the General Manager and there was a number 1300 855 775 to call but personally we haven't gone that far by call him...so maybe Mark Ashcroft you can call mate?
StructuralBIMGuy
Mark Ashcroft

I know right (thank you) we are just fortunate i guess that our site is progressing well.....what am referring to "Experts in building" compared to us an accountant would not know how building construction works so i leave it to them that is why we paid them to do the job. We did a lot of research before putting our trust to Wisdom to build our dream home....now that we trusted them we are collaborating with them as our choosen builder either good or bad we have made our decision and no regrets it was our decision to go with them in the first place anyway...that is our mindset can't waste my energy to something i do not have control over....i really hope your site will be finito soon!
wisdomhomes what are the specific reasons for the slow construction progess? Have you communicated these to mark_ashcroft in writing for each delay so far, as per the requirements of your HIA contract.
AnnaP
what am referring to "Experts in building" compared to us an accountant would not know how building construction works so i leave it to them that is why we paid them to do the job.

this is a generally dangerous and misguided approach. You should use the opportunity to learn as much as possible about the process rather than putting your trust in them. After all there are plenty of experts that are untrustworthy. Just take a look at the recent number of collapsed and bankrupt multi billion dollar crypto exchanges and businesses. They were all experts too. Not to mention the multitude of "experts in building that have collapse din the last couple of years also.

As an accountant you should be familiar with the term "trust, but verify".

Builders are notorious for over promising, underdelivering, misleading, cutting corners etc. My observations are that all the people who have overly positive experiences are those that know zero about what is going on. Its a matter of ignorance is bliss. But when were talking about such a large investment, its not something that should be blindly trusted.

In staying so, its not about being distrustful, angry and demanding, but you need to have some level of understanding and assertiveness to make sure that youre getting what you paid for, which in many cases if you just "leave it to the experts" will be less than what you are obliged to receive.

Be carefull.
We did our research too. They seemed to be way ahead of anyone else with the right size house for us. I know builds don't go like clockwork & we've spoken to a Charlie at head office when CQ was taking too long. He did push it through quicker. I don't know how to collaborate with them now as they don't respond to to phone calls or messages so this is where I'm at. I just need this house completed with no more delays so my family can be more comfortable with their medical conditions. It's the reason I'm building.
Related
29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

25/02/2024
Wisdom Homes | Momentum Series

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, I am exploring builder in NSW and received a very tempting quote from Wisdom home for their momentum series. I just want to know experience of building…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum