Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Perth - First Home Build Diary

Page 1 of 1
G'day everyone!

There are heaps of building diaries here, but I thought it's been a while since there's been one in Perth.

I'm a first time builder, with very little bit of academic knowledge in engineering for homes, little bit of academic knowledge for residential drafting & constructions. I've been looking into building and getting involved with various builders since mid 2020 (pre-covid and also pre-boom!)! A lot of plans fell through for many reasons, and we've been through;

- Designing & building with a builder, a multi-generation home of significant budget (KDR);
- Designing & self-implementing a cheap renovation;
- Designing & extending with a builder of a low budget;
- Independent design (using a residential designer) & tendering builders for a KDR of medium budget;
- Finally, design & building with a builder, a modest build (inflated price due to boom by this time), went back to the first builder! - Council approved, site prep & earthworks done already.

We learnt a lot, and I'd be happy to help if anyone is new to building! I'll try my best to answer any questions if you're in similar situation as me

We also hope that we can have some of our questions answered via the collective knowledge of the forum!

Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MILESTONE DATES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 Feb, 2022 - Engaged Builder, Design based on off-the-plan floorplan started;
7 Apr, 2022 - Planning submitted to council;
13 Jun, 2022 - Pre-start;
27 Jul, 2022 - Fixed Price Contract signed;
5 Aug 2022 - DA Approval granted by council;
24 Oct 2022 - Demolition finished;
8 Nov 2022 - Earthworks started;
11 Nov 2022 - Limestones delivered;
14-15 Nov 2022 - Limestone retaining walls constructed;
21-22 Nov 2022 - Retaining walls filled & compacted, earthworks finished;
23 Nov 2022 - Pegging for grano workers;
24 Nov 2022 - Pre-slab plumbing works & trenches for concrete footings;
25 Nov 2022 - Footings poured, pre-slab works completed ready for pour;
28 Nov 2022 - Concrete slab poured;
1 Dec 2022 - New colorbond fence along the boundary;
5 Dec 2022 - Soakwells & downpipe in-ground plumbing;
6 Dec 2022 - Earthworks around the plot & tidying up;
7 Dec 2022 - Bricks delivered;
8 Dec 2022 - Brickworks started!;
Constant/Continuous - reasonable changes & additions to design to even now, builder has been so far generous with making changes and attentive.
Instagram - will be sharing all our past designs, snippets, progress pictures & current builder details over the next few weeks & months! Feel free to follow through and dm

@JSHR4everhome
Good luck with your build 😊. Will be following along
Nice - where are you building? What size house? We have almost finished our KDR in Riverton, will be moving in next month.
Hope it all goes smoothly!
richy.bear
Good luck with your build 😊. Will be following along

Thank you!

Budapest
Nice - where are you building? What size house? We have almost finished our KDR in Riverton, will be moving in next month.
Hope it all goes smoothly!

Thank you! While you are here, did you hire a private inspector and was he good?

We're building just across near Burswood! The house is about 330SQM inclusive all of alfresco (45sqm), garage etc.
You built through the boom as well, did everything go smooth?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on IGR @JSHR4everhome - We will be sharing all our past designs, snippets, progress pictures & more over the next few weeks & months! Feel free to dm if you have any questions and we will help you answer it to our best
No inspector, we have built with family so there hasn't been any concern about quality.
Most of the trades used he has worked with for years, a couple of new ones. We've had a few things where the builder has had them come back to redo something, but mostly everything has been good from that side.

Other than the obvious cost increases, the biggest delays have been from:
- Roof timber supply. We were at plate height early May and roof timber didnt start until the 1st of July.
- Roof plumbing labour. Roof timber was completed July 8 and took 5 weeks to get the roof plumber to site.
- Windows final glazing. We boarded up the house to continue on with PCI items while we waited for windows so only a minor delay. Shower screens and mirrors are a wait too according to the internal glazer.

The roof delays cost 10 weeks or so, the rest has been quick.

In the last 10 weeks we have had plaster/render, ceiling, garage slab, alfresco slab, initial painting, fence, cabinets, tiling, brickpaving, driveway, final plumbing, final electrical, doors and internal shelving, started internal glazing, windows/sliding doors and kerb repair.
In 16 days time timber decking, flooring, grass, final painting, final fixing carpenter, fly screens and air con should be done.
No wonder the builder says he used to be able to build a house in under 6 months!
Budapest
No inspector, we have built with family so there hasn't been any concern about quality.
Most of the trades used he has worked with for years, a couple of new ones. We've had a few things where the builder has had them come back to redo something, but mostly everything has been good from that side.

Other than the obvious cost increases, the biggest delays have been from:
- Roof timber supply. We were at plate height early May and roof timber didnt start until the 1st of July.
- Roof plumbing labour. Roof timber was completed July 8 and took 5 weeks to get the roof plumber to site.
- Windows final glazing. We boarded up the house to continue on with PCI items while we waited for windows so only a minor delay. Shower screens and mirrors are a wait too according to the internal glazer.

The roof delays cost 10 weeks or so, the rest has been quick.

In the last 10 weeks we have had plaster/render, ceiling, garage slab, alfresco slab, initial painting, fence, cabinets, tiling, brickpaving, driveway, final plumbing, final electrical, doors and internal shelving, started internal glazing, windows/sliding doors and kerb repair.
In 16 days time timber decking, flooring, grass, final painting, final fixing carpenter, fly screens and air con should be done.
No wonder the builder says he used to be able to build a house in under 6 months!

Ahhhhh thanks for the details! My neighbour is also building and his roof timber's just been sitting there for the last 3 months, probably due to roof chippies being super busy. Exciting times for you, will you get the keys before the christmas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on IGR @JSHR4everhome - We will be sharing all our past designs, snippets, progress pictures & more over the next few weeks & months! Feel free to dm if you have any questions and we will help you answer it to our best

(29-11-2022)
Slab has been poured, unfortunately on the 3 hottest days so far this spring / summer. Hosing down throughout the day to stop the concrete losing its moisture too rapidly in this heat.

Bricks have started on site, on schedule, about 10 days after slab. Trades on site have been professional and not taking any shortcuts.

Looking forward to seeing the facade & elevations come about!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Related
14/06/2024
Advice needed for first time build in Perth

Building A New House

granny can live in the garage. just give her a few extra blankets rofl

16/06/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Sadly no movement on site since soak wells went in. There are also missing/wrong storm water drains which need to be sorted, along with a broken pipe. Plumbing has been…

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum