Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floorplan/Build Suggestions

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

First post here.

Have been lurking for a while and am excited to start my new build journey.

I'm looking to build a family home on a rather difficult irregular shaped block with a NE-SW slope (of ~4m) and have been struggling to find a plan that is solar passive, two story but makes the most of the SW views whilst having north facing living areas. I've attached some floor plans that my architect and I have come up with but would love to see if anyone had any thoughts or feedback on the plans, or if a different approach would be prefered. I'm concerned the current build might be slightly out of my budget given it's not compact.

Ideally, I'm looking to build a 2 storey (nice south west views), 4(or 5)/2/2, with a total living area of 250-350m2. It would also be nice to have none of the bedrooms share walls, so was thinking of making that change in the current plans.

Appreciate any feedback!
I think you need to have it drawn up properly include the survey levels, ffls on the plan and elevations
You have a 3-4m slope down with 3 steps internally, have you checked overlooking, building height restrictions, retaining, etc with Council and neighbours. Best to deal with the difficult areas first that way you avoid $ticker $hock later
Cheers
Chris
Have you considered split level to the lower floor? As pointed out by Chris, a 4m drop over the build envelop will result in pretty tall walls on the lower portion of the house which may exceed planning regs in your council area.

I'm building atm with a 3m drop across the build envelop and to overcome the rear wall height issue, I put 2 x 800mm splits in the lower level of the house. The trade off is its a little more cost for drop edge beams in the slab.

Cheers.
Are retaining walls included in building price?
I build on a block with a 4m or so slope from back to front and all I can say is for the cost of the retaining walls I could have bought a larger block that was less of a slope. It is worth taking that into consideration as it can blow budgets really quickly. We did a 3 level split which if I was to do it again I would only go 2 etc.

And that was when the prices were more reasonable, the ones around ACT are charging around $350/m2 etc.
vipha
Hi all,

First post here.

Have been lurking for a while and am excited to start my new build journey.

I'm looking to build a family home on a rather difficult irregular shaped block with a NE-SW slope (of ~4m) and have been struggling to find a plan that is solar passive, two story but makes the most of the SW views whilst having north facing living areas. I've attached some floor plans that my architect and I have come up with but would love to see if anyone had any thoughts or feedback on the plans, or if a different approach would be prefered. I'm concerned the current build might be slightly out of my budget given it's not compact.

Ideally, I'm looking to build a 2 storey (nice south west views), 4(or 5)/2/2, with a total living area of 250-350m2. It would also be nice to have none of the bedrooms share walls, so was thinking of making that change in the current plans.

Land orientation/slope:

https://500px.com/photo/1056481277/land ... by-vipha-a

Appreciate any feedback!

some variations for consideration

Related
16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

10/07/2023
Need suggestions for home improvement

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Looking to add an ensuite to one of the bedrooms and make it a Master BR. Please see the attached current floorplan. Need suggestions on what's the best way to do…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum