Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom builder in Canberra

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

We are building our first home and having difficulties finding a good local custom builder in Canberra. We have been in many displays, spoke to a number of builders and the experience has not been positive to say the least.

I knew that Canberra is a different planet for building a house, but would never expect this type of experience. For example, one of the builders said that he can build a one storey house for $2400 psqm +/- with the same or similar inclusions as in his display, and when I provided the draft of the plans after 2 months, the quote jumped to $3150 psqm just for the house, no retaining walls, no landscaping (he saw the plan of the block, the block did not change, inclusions were the same that he showed us). The other one quoted $2500 psqm over the phone, we met after a week or so to discuss the details and the price was $2800-3150 psqm (we did not ask for any upgrades or premium appliances, just their standard inclusions). Another builder (many of them) asks $5K-$6K non-refundable for the quote (they say deductible from the building contract which I doubt), otherwise they give an approximate range where the range is $100K between the min and max. I think it is a nonsense to pay $5K to know the price (please, correct me if this is a standard practice). I do understand that a builder cannot tell you the price precisely but $100K range is too much to make a decision. Obviously, by paying $5K you get ‘tied’ and you have to either sign or loose your deposit and the builder will have a power to do (or not to do) whatever they want. Considering the appetites of some builders and the current situation in the market, it is likely that you will end up at the max price + upgrades.
Someone from the industry told me that the builders talk to each other and they know what price to tell the customer (cartel? I think so). And yes, the first 2 builders were recommended to us by the same person, also from the industry. I think we need to look somewhere else, not at displays but I do not know where.
There is a topic in this forum where someone suggested having a look at builders found in Master Builders Awards Magazines. I tried that and called a couple of builders. Because these guys appeared in the magazines their prices are over the roof (I called less known ones). Another attempt was approaching a builder on a construction site and I did approach one. Everything was good until I googled his name.

Anyway, back to the topic, please advise some good local custom builders in Canberra. No big names and no overpriced ‘boutique’ names please. Than you.
Have you found a builder yet? I can name some not to contact, as the good builders are at capacity if reasonably priced but the overpriced ones keep their portfolio low so need to charge more, the $5 k deposit for a quote they see as time to do calculations then your locked in if not accept is common, we got a deal at $2100 per sqm last year then the price went up part of the way now may be spending the difference on repairs or renovations so poor economy.
Utilitarian
Have you found a builder yet? I can name some not to contact, as the good builders are at capacity if reasonably priced but the overpriced ones keep their portfolio low so need to charge more, the $5 k deposit for a quote they see as time to do calculations then your locked in if not accept is common, we got a deal at $2100 per sqm last year then the price went up part of the way now may be spending the difference on repairs or renovations so poor economy.

Thank you for your reply Utilitarian. That would be great if you can name the ones not to contact.
On the question of pricing, virtually all estimators that you can find online/offline will be able to provide detailed breakdown of construction costs for way less than $5k, but that's if you have the detailed plan and specifications to request the estimates.
I think we are not supposed to name business on this site but you can look up reviews on https://www.productreview.com.au
they have from 5 stars to 1 star ratings, good ones may be very expensive as i recognised some there.
OK. Product review does not have many for Canberra. Can you please PM?
resu
OK. Product review does not have many for Canberra. Can you please PM?

there are these to start to read reviews on if you have not already tried them:

2nd Best Home Builder
[img=96x96]https://cdn.productreview.com.au/resize/listing-picture/58d18a48-b3fc-32f4-873d-05c943c197b3?height=170&v=2&width=170[/img]

Project Home Builders and Custom Home Builders
Hotondo Homes

· includes 80 listings

4.8 from 916 reviews
With its timely building process, effective communication and experienced builders, nationally-operating Hotondo Homes is a popular choice, particularly for first-time homeowners.

and

·

G.J. Gardner Homes
from 1,623 reviews
With 8 offices all around Australia, G.J. Gardner prizes itself on its ability to make quality homes that are also good value. With six consecutive ProductReview Award wins, it’s safe to say that new homeowners agree.

and

McDonald Jones Homes

4.7 from 1,491 reviews
· View Statistics
Write a reviewAsk a question
We recently built with ABM Homes,
Not sure what there prices are like now or if they are one of the builders you have already approached.

Seemed pretty reasonable price for what was included as standard, my Mother build with GJ Gardner in Gunning and I assume this will be different from the team in Canberra but Hers and mine are worlds different in regards to inclusions. Hers didn't even include the driveway etc.

Overall I am pretty happy with the finished product from ABM, I wish there was a bit more attention to detail on the build though as there are some things I just don't think ended up being done to the quality of his other houses. I think our build was in a bit of a tough time as materials weren't much of a problem but they had issues getting trades which I think ended up with sub par ones as our build went over the estimated 6 months etc.

He is always contactable also as I have had questions and needing things to be looked at even though we are over our 3 months now, which I know for some ends up being a hassle trying to contact the builder after everything is said and done.

Happy to discuss further if you want to ask any questions etc, this was my first build so there was alot of things I should have paid more attention to etc that was missed.
Thank you for your replies Utilitarian and MrSober.
As I mentioned, we need a custom builder, a local small company, not with a big name, and not a volume builder. Regarding the big names mentioned, one of the names mentioned is constantly in courts for misleading their customers. A recent case with a young couple who were mislead and the house they got is not liveable due to serious issues which the couple did not notice in the contract. A colleague of mine had an extremely bad experience with the same builder. Forget about communication and custom design with volume builders. Regarding the ratings, unfortunately in many cases they have nothing to do with the reality and no one can verify these ratings. Anyway, will continue my search. Thanks again.
Suggest ignoring all 4-5 star reviews and the aggregate ratiings based on these. These template "unicorns and rainbows" reviews are mostly paid for by the builders as a key element of their social media marketing programs to 'bury' genuine customers' 1-3 star reviews. Its digital marketing 101. Who knows where these fluffy 'verified' reviews come from! The only way to be reasonably confident any online review is genuine is to speak with the actual customer in person, or on an identified phone number. Any decent builder would be able to readily provide these contacts.
I thought ABM would have fit that to a T, as they are a local small custom builder. Our price at the time was around $1,800psqm, I assume these prices may have gone up by now as we signed back in 2020. But nonetheless good luck in your search, hopefully you find the right one for your build.

I usually try and break it up with what is said in the review, will usually give away if its a fake or less genuine review, the problem is most people are way more likely to post when they have a bad experience than a good one. When you think you have been wronged you will usually want to tell everyone about it, most people when they get the service they expect won't bother logging onto a site to post a review.

Another reason you really need to read into all the reviews also, is even some of the lower star ones the "issue" they had is sometimes something that doesn't even make sense etc.

I have been selling on eBay for years and it takes alot of work from my end just to get a handful of people to leave feedback, you usually have to send them a message after delivery asking if everything was how it was expected and if they are 100% happy to please take the time to leave positive feedback. Out of 500 sales you may only get like 15 or so that actually bother.
Builders have no such problems securing their 5 star reviews if a review 'farm' service is being paid for them!
I agree with Kippers01 regarding ratings. Furthermore, it is obvious that some builders pretend to be customers on these forums and make their posts.
I am glad that you had a good experience with ABM MrSober. However, McDJ, Rowson, ABM, Achieve / Sunny homes are out of my list.
One more thing I noticed, when you check awards magazines and let us say someone won in the category of up to 400K, and you go to the same display and ask for how much they built that house, they will tell you double the mentioned amount or even more (I have done that with a well known builder).
In other words, tons of speculation and not demanding customers and as a result we have this crazy market.
Good Luck with your search for a good builder in Canberra. I have yet to hear something good about any builder in Canberra. Every builder will have two sets of feedback, for some the result has been great but for some the experience been a nightmare.

I would suggest going with someone who has a reputation at stake as they would not want a negative publicity. For very small builders who just one or two houses a year, there is nothing to lose and you may end up with someone who doesnt really cares about you.
suku18
Good Luck with your search for a good builder in Canberra. I have yet to hear something good about any builder in Canberra. Every builder will have two sets of feedback, for some the result has been great but for some the experience been a nightmare.

I would suggest going with someone who has a reputation at stake as they would not want a negative publicity. For very small builders who just one or two houses a year, there is nothing to lose and you may end up with someone who doesnt really cares about you.

Any builder that Lighthouse architecture uses would be good. They are probably quite pricey though.
Related
1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

15/05/2024
Concrete slab solar assessment Canberra

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi Im having trouble getting anyone to provide useful advice on going for an insulated slab North facing extension. I had Lighthouse group do the energy assessment last…

6/07/2023
CUSTOM BUILDER RECOMMENDATIONS WESTERN MELBOURNE

Building A New House

Hello, we can help you please get in contact 0421019219 thank you

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum