Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Knockdown Rebuild

Page 1 of 1
Hi, brain trusts!

We are considering buying this house in a 380sqm block in the outer suburb north of Melbourne as an investment, then we are thinking of doing a knockdown rebuild later in a year's time after the current tenants finish their contract. Do you see any issue that there is a house behind and has a right of way beside the property? What are the things we should watch for a knockdown rebuild? Please see the photo below. Thank you in advance.

Hi there
I just saw your post - I am about to do a KNRB in Brisbane on my old one and only house. The process for me has been difficult. The NBN has been helpful as long as you request at least a month in advance of demolition. The Demolition Company has been very helpful. My big problem is with the Power company - in this case Origin Energy. We notified them a month before demolition that we needed a final meter reading just before demolition. This has been booked in; however the company (origin) has told us they have to wait for the final reading BEFORE they can ask Energex to abolish the supply; and this will take up to 20 working days. We have a rental place in Rockhampton. This means we have to wait up to 20 days in a house with no power!! Alternatively we can lock up the house and move to Rockhampton; and wait for Energex to inform us when they have abolished the power (via a note left under our door) (or so they say). Origin will not send a Service Order to Energex to abolish the power until the last meter reading although we requested a final meter reading a month ago and it has been booked in..The Demolition Company needs to know when the power is going to be abolished. They are a big company and have to squeeze us in between other projects.

So beware of the gap between last meter reading and abolishment and make sure your demolition company and other companies are kept informed (plumber/sewer capper, surveyor, builder,nbn, asbestos remover, temporary fencing, siltation prvention, neighbours, rental agent and so on not to mention finannce providors etc.

As for Origin we have been with them since Energex split up - Silly me
Related
10/01/2024
To Knockdown and Rebuild or Renovate?

General Discussion

if the original house is in good condition most of what you listed could be added in stages without the need for KDR and costs and disruption of having to live elsewhere…

25/05/2023
Knockdown build in Heidelberg area - recommendations please

Building A New House

Hi We have finally decided to complete a KDR on our corner plot in NE Melbourne suburbs. Given its a corner plot approx. 400 sqm just a standard design may not fit the…

18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum