Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How to estimate cost of new build ?

Page 1 of 1
I have sketched a new house design with floor plan dimensions, roof structure and elevations, I have a contour survey already completed and have made many decisions already regarding wall/ceiling insulation, window sizes/types and a few other things.
At some stage I'd hire a proper designer/draftsperson to sort out the details and do the working drawings but first I need to get an idea of the total build cost for my current design so that I can trim or add items if necessary. I see no point in getting detailed drawings completed and paid for (probably a $10,000 investment I guess) only to find that the build cost is unaffordable.
My questions are:
(1) what do I need to have prepared and documented in order to get a sensible (approximate of course) estimate of build cost?
(2) would a designer know of an approximate build cost or do they ask builders for estimates?

Any other tips are welcomed.
Use an average rate of build per m².

$1800p/m² is a good starting point.

This sets your budget and go from there.

Getting quotes these days can be tough given the state of your plans and the stage of your build.

A designer will know the average cost of building so that they may work to your budget.
I wouldn't assume in the designer would know the pricing - its not their job - especially in the current climate!
It IS their job.

It IS a requirement of a designer to have knowledge of such things.

Opinions VS facts. You decide.
Here is a fact
The artist/designer/architect is not qualified, nor certified and trusted to provide you with any build engineering advice
LOL, they'll convince you that the artistic rendered 3D Bim model is exactly how it'll be built? here
Inverted Bim curve simplified (humour)

Then the home owners find out that's not the case when they sign with the builder and get there pants pulled down on the siteworks and engineering. there have been posts on siteworks search $ticker $hock
Cheers
Chris
A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing....
"A design/3D model/estimate without crosschecking Data/proofs, engineering, details, certifications, etc
isn't worth 2 knobs of goat sh!t irrespective of how real the fake images looks." you can quote me
A designer will know the average cost of building so that they may work to your budget.
Yes I would hope so. I'm planning a light gauge steel framed house with average priced fit, double glazing throughout and reasonably "sound proof" walls and ceiling so would a $1800 per sqm estimate still apply for an outer Brisbane location?

And, just for comparison, if this were to be built in Perth WA would a similar price per sqm apply?
gommeqld
Yes I would hope so. I'm planning a light gauge steel framed house with average priced fit, double glazing throughout and reasonably "sound proof" walls and ceiling so would a $1800 per sqm estimate still apply for an outer Brisbane location?

And, just for comparison, if this were to be built in Perth WA would a similar price per sqm apply?

seeing as your question is missing consideration for a lot of the current variable, ill give you an answer that is missing much of the same variables : Probably not.
The square meter guide is not very helpful. Depends on so many factors for each build. Builders might be able to give you an average rate based on recent jobs, but from my experience they'll average their lower end builds and you'll likely end up over that. It's not really possible now anyway because prices are changing so often.

One thing I can tell you is that $1800/m2 won't get you very far right now unless maybe it's a volume build. In SA you're looking at minimum $2500 for a lower end custom builder. I think the eastern states are more expensive.

Take what you have to a builder and get an estimate, just bear in mind that without proper drawings and engineering, it could end up a lot more.
gommeqld
I have sketched a new house design with floor plan dimensions, roof structure and elevations, I have a contour survey already completed and have made many decisions already regarding wall/ceiling insulation, window sizes/types and a few other things.
At some stage I'd hire a proper designer/draftsperson to sort out the details and do the working drawings but first I need to get an idea of the total build cost for my current design so that I can trim or add items if necessary. I see no point in getting detailed drawings completed and paid for (probably a $10,000 investment I guess) only to find that the build cost is unaffordable.
My questions are:
(1) what do I need to have prepared and documented in order to get a sensible (approximate of course) estimate of build cost?
(2) would a designer know of an approximate build cost or do they ask builders for estimates?

Any other tips are welcomed.

Best thing to do is speak to some builders in your area and try and get an average rate per square meter of building in your location.

Here in Sydney we find that trades and some suppliers definitely charge more depending on your postcode.

Local builders can also help you assess what the best building materials might be for your site ie access for cranes and trucks etc and what trades are available.

All the best with your journey

Simeon
Building cost calculator might be helpful for a rough estimate. This one was recommended to me by a builder:
https://www.aaarchitect.com.au/home-bui ... lator.html

To get a more accurate figure, you should engage local builders as others have suggested. Consider formally engaging a builder to advise on costs and most cost-effective way to build as you evolve the design.

I have heard too many stories of people relying on the estimate provided by an architect/designer then being very disappointed when it came to getting quotes after the design had been approved by council.
Related
31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum