Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a retaining wall in front of an existing fence

Page 1 of 1
Hi all. We need to retain the rear property line as our ground level is quite a bit higher than our rear neighbors, and as it stands the soil would likely push the fence over. Ideally we would have done this before the build, but here we are. Our problem is that we don’t want to replace the existing fence, but rather retain in front of the existing fence. This is for a number of reasons to do with neighbors, access, finances, rock excavation etc.
My question is what would be the most effective way to retain in front of the fence? I personally think we should build a brick planter in front of the fence and use it to grow plants/shrubs up the front of the fence. For some reason my husband doesn’t think this is adequate.
Any suggestions of what would be the best solution? Thanks! Photos attached.

when we were faced with similar choice we went for the 'brick planter' approach. although in our case we also had an option of just levelling our side to be flat and retaining a bit under the fence. and we had way more space to play with.

our original levels were going up from left to right from about the level where that slab starts to the height of second row of bricks from the top. there a 100mm gap between the fence and the rear bricks.

before the planter:

Related
2/02/2024
Gap between fence and retaining wall - unsafe space

Landscape & Garden Design

get some pool noodles and then bark mulch over the top

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House