Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

PCI and Private Inspector at the same time

Page 1 of 1
My builder has arranged for us to attend a PCI and also requested our Private Inspector do their thing at the same time. I'm fine with that in that we'll go around the house doing 'our thing's whilst the inspector does 'their thing'. I already know there are a couple of outstanding items (concrete, garage door) that are yet to be complete. So, knowing there are some things yet to be done, how does this work with PCI?

Do we note any defects (along with that the private inspector finds) and only release final payment once we're actually satisfied that we deem the house 'complete'?
I always recommend private pre final inspection couple of weeks before PCI. If there are significant issues it will give builder time to address rather than adding to delays.
PCI means practically complete and suitable to occupy. Minor defects are acceptable, to be fixed before handover, or in the warranty period (good luck with that!). Practical completion ends the builder's liability for liquidated damages. You cannot withold payment for minor defects. Focus on checking for any significant expensive to fix issues with a professional inspection as early as possible before PCI day. Don't get distracted by the minor blemishes etc for quick paint touch ups that your site supervisor will want you to focus on at PCI.
Kippers01
. Focus on checking for any significant expensive to fix issues at your inspection, not all the minor blemishes etc for quick paint touch ups that your site supervisor will want you to focus on.

focus on both. if the minor stuff doesn't get captured then, then it wont get resolved.
Noname
Kippers01
. Focus on checking for any significant expensive to fix issues at your inspection, not all the minor blemishes etc for quick paint touch ups that your site supervisor will want you to focus on.

focus on both. if the minor stuff doesn't get captured then, then it wont get resolved.

Yeah. I've already made my builder aware that minor cosmetic things don't really matter too much, but the build so far has been amazing. Any issues my private inspector found throughout the build was sorted and in the times we went through the house, we didn't notice anything obvious.

Our PCI is tomorrow. The builder has already been around the house tagging all the items they themselves have noticed. So based on the prior responsiveness to private inspections and defects, I would hope that any item we (as the customer) find and those that the private inspector find will be addressed. But from what I've seen, I'm reasonably confident we're only going to pick at small things mostly.
The blue painters tape 'game' tagging minor items is a common ploy used by the builder to distract customers from the main game. Don't be rushed. Take your good time and check everything systematically against plans and standards before signing the PC form.
As far as our build is concerned, I wouldn't say so. Things that were tagged by the builder would have been tagged by us anyway. But the fact they've done it without being prompted by us gives us confidence that the PCI should be OK. I mean, the 'Fixing' stage private inspection was mostly page filling cosmetic stuff. The rest of the inspection had all the items I would expect to be fixed...fixed.

I think with my build, we got a SS that gave 2 stuffs about his work. And it shows. And for that, I couldn't be happier.
Related
13/07/2023
Private inspector charge by builder

Building A New House

If you already have a contract, is the inspection cost stated in there? If not they would be forced to issue you a variation which you could of course object to.

9/02/2024
My Building inspector v My builder's inspector

General Discussion

I would send it to the certifier who is technically your representative and working on your behalf not the builder's

7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum