Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Scraping a vacant block

Page 1 of 1
We demolished our house a couple of months ago, and are due to start our new build around July or August. Due to the heavy rain during demolition, the site wasn't flattened as the excavator was sinking in the mud. In the meantime, new grass/vegetation has overgrown and the site is generally messy.

We need to prepare the site for construction, and I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to scrape the site. Is it as easy as hiring an excavator and scraping it myself, or are there recommended companies that can complete this task? Any idea of how much it costs to engage a company to scrape the site?

Appreciate any advice.
Get a bobcat operator / hire dingo if you want to do it yourself. Cost will depend on the area you live in.
The vegetation is not a bad thing. If there is no rubble, consider Roundup to kill the vegetation.

We have miserable red clay and exposed dirt was a nightmare for builders and stained everything from concrete to floorboards. A covering of dead grass might be better than this. Obviously you will clear under slabs etc when the time comes.
Our neighbour had "Jims Diggers" come and scrape their backyard. They didn't do major earthworks in that job, only took away all the vegetation and top layer of soil. Very efficient, didn't take them long to do the job.
mickm
We demolished our house a couple of months ago, and are due to start our new build around July or August. Due to the heavy rain during demolition, the site wasn't flattened as the excavator was sinking in the mud. In the meantime, new grass/vegetation has overgrown and the site is generally messy.

We need to prepare the site for construction, and I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to scrape the site. Is it as easy as hiring an excavator and scraping it myself, or are there recommended companies that can complete this task? Any idea of how much it costs to engage a company to scrape the site?

Appreciate any advice.

mickm

cant the builder just do it as part of benching?

if not PM me and I will shoot you the number of a guy I use.

cheers

Simeon
Related
3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

3/08/2023
Building on a Block with Large Frontage

Building A New House

Thanks. this looks really nice.

5/08/2023
Sloped block in Warrandyte

Building A New House

Any recommendations for builders for a KDRB in North Warrandyte ? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros