Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Cut and Fill

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am planning to build a new big home in Blacktown in NSW. The land slope goes up from the street. Tender came back from the builder and they are suggesting that I need to have split with 686 mm inside the house as my land slope exceeds the maximum council allowed cut and fill. This means at least 3 steps in the middle of the house which is quite steep enough to destroy the house open plan layout.

Anyone had similar experience with their home building process? Are there any way to avoid the split in the house?
netengineer
Are there any way to avoid the split in the house?

None that you're going to like or be cheap.

Smaller footprint.
Suspended slab.

Second option will likley be a custom job. Be prepared to pay.

Or just take the split. Many split homes are lovely and add character to the home.
Doesn't sound like a huge cut-They may be intending to build via a CDC application which does limit cut/fill depths on site but as the approval route is quick and easy it allows rapid turnover of builds.

You could try and them for a revised tender inclusive of the cost of constructing an engineered retaining wall and the entire build consent obtained via a DA.

A DA will take longer and be more expensive but you should be aware of all options which may be available.
I am going via DA anyway due to house size. I have now been told they can do 514mm split, which means 2 steps and 3 risers after their second round of internal discussions. This is the best they can do within the council restrictions. What's your thoughts guys?
what about deeper cut and retaining wall at the back, instead of cut and fill?
Can you go with the split but leave the ceiling at a consistent height. This would give high ceiling to whatever is at the lower level at the front of the house.
Phil of Sydney
Can you go with the split but leave the ceiling at a consistent height. This would give high ceiling to whatever is at the lower level at the front of the house.
Super idea that Phil, I grew up in a house with sunken lounge slab on ground and 2 steps up to dining, kitchen and entry, which was all on bearers & joists, very nice house to live in, 2-3 steps is not noticeable and adds interest.
Thanks guys for the replies, so encouraging. Yes, they are doing consistent heights. I have asked them to go back and review again for split free levels. Currently waiting. Will update soon.
Just an update, builder amended the tender without splits now. But with a clause subject to council approval as the cut and fill exceeds council guidelines ( 900 cut-council, we go for 1000 cut and 600 fill we go for 1000 fill). Cost wise it's about the same. Instead of split, I get more steps from front and garage.

I will also have higher level backyard which has to be levelled to 2 levels with steps between.

What's your thought guys? Do you think we can get this approved with DA? Any advice/thoughts much appreciated.
Hi guys!

Just an update! The plans are with council now and they have asked for more details on cut and fill plan proposed. Will update with the outcome.

Quite nervous now!!
Thanks for the update, 6 months for half a page of calculations (humour) ... I'd be very nervous if they haven't included the engineering data/proofs, certification and costs. (Or you might be in for further iterations (DA) with delays and price increases)
Please keep members posted Fellow Engineer
Cheers
Chris
Hi guys,

Just an update, council finally approved the plans without steps with proposed cut/fill. Now nervously waiting to hear back from the builder on their final variation. I am worried about price increases during this time and that might get passed on me.I am over their 6 months fixed price. I was told I need to pay around $2k per month after the expiry of 6 months and potentially any difference of base price ( that might be huge).

All the delays are from the builder as they went back and forth with council as they didn't submit all the required documents in once.
netengineer
All the delays are from the builder as they went back and forth with council as they didn't submit all the required documents in once.

The brakes have been put on everything, ie, Planning, Insurances, Starts, trades/ materials. But, unfortunately, not on prices and interest rate increase
Thanks for the update
Related
14/03/2024
Cut and filled land

Building A New House

Thanks Craig! This make absolutely sense to me!!

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum