Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a new house

Page 1 of 1
Hello guys

Iam new to this forum . Purchased a block of land in Central coast . Started the first step towards building. What are the main things I shouldn’t miss out in choosing a builder ? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thankyou
I would try really hard to find people who have or are currently building with someone you're looking at. If you can find people then see if they are willing to divulge information like what their process is, inclusions and costs (both early estimates and final costs), what they've been like with communication through the whole process and of course any issues they've had (along with positives).

Builders don't give any of this away themselves (at least in enough detail) so consumers have no idea.

Also find recent examples of people who have gone through (or are going through) the covid s**t storm.
stonesthrow
I would try really hard to find people who have or are currently building with someone you're looking at. If you can find people then see if they are willing to divulge information like what their process is, inclusions and costs (both early estimates and final costs), what they've been like with communication through the whole process and of course any issues they've had (along with positives).

Builders don't give any of this away themselves (at least in enough detail) so consumers have no idea.

Also find recent examples of people who have gone through (or are going through) the covid s**t storm.

Thankyou
I 100% agree with stonesthrow here, it's really important to find and speak to somebody who has built with the company you're looking to work with. There's no one size fits all when it comes to volume builders - everyone has a different experience.

In an ideal world, you'd find someone who has started the building process with them in the last 12 months, as unfortunately, a LOT has changed within the building industry since the start of the pandemic (material shortages, trade shortages, increased demand due to government grants etc.)

I've found the best place to find information like this is on either Facebook or Instagram. Some of the larger volume builders will have dedicated Facebook groups where you can ask questions about cost, build times etc. Otherwise, almost EVERY builder will have a hashtag you can follow on instagram. From there, you should be able to find a few people currently building with them and follow along with their progress.

More broadly, you need to do your reasrch. Ask questions of the sales consultants, visit a few different display villages/homes, and determine what it is that's most important to you. Perhaps it's cost, perhaps it's quality finishes. Your priorities will then determine which builders you should be approaching.

If you want more advice, we've written a full article on this topic here:
https://homebuildershandbook.com.au/how-to-choose-a-builder-for-your-new-home/

In any case, I hope that helped! Good luck with your build!
Homebuilders Handbook
I 100% agree with stonesthrow here, it's really important to find and speak to somebody who has built with the company you're looking to work with. There's no one size fits all when it comes to volume builders - everyone has a different experience.

In an ideal world, you'd find someone who has started the building process with them in the last 12 months, as unfortunately, a LOT has changed within the building industry since the start of the pandemic (material shortages, trade shortages, increased demand due to government grants etc.)

I've found the best place to find information like this is on either Facebook or Instagram. Some of the larger volume builders will have dedicated Facebook groups where you can ask questions about cost, build times etc. Otherwise, almost EVERY builder will have a hashtag you can follow on instagram. From there, you should be able to find a few people currently building with them and follow along with their progress.

More broadly, you need to do your reasrch. Ask questions of the sales consultants, visit a few different display villages/homes, and determine what it is that's most important to you. Perhaps it's cost, perhaps it's quality finishes. Your priorities will then determine which builders you should be approaching.

If you want more advice, we've written a full article on this topic here:
https://homebuildershandbook.com.au/how-to-choose-a-builder-for-your-new-home/

In any case, I hope that helped! Good luck with your build!

Thankyou
You live in the area, your land is probably in an estate with other builds happening?
Go for a drive, write down the Lot, the builder and the build stage, in a number of estates, go back a week later see which ones have progressed a then look to see that the sites are clean, if the super keeps a clean site, it's normally because he/she has pride in their build and there trades respect what he/she wants of them. If you have the same builder with, fast sites & slow sites, clean sites and dirty sites, then you have a good supervisor that works for that builder, if all the site are simular...you have a good building manager, good builder.
BuildingandLegal
You live in the area, your land is probably in an estate with other builds happening?
Go for a drive, write down the Lot, the builder and the build stage, in a number of estates, go back a week later see which ones have progressed a then look to see that the sites are clean, if the super keeps a clean site, it's normally because he/she has pride in their build and there trades respect what he/she wants of them. If you have the same builder with, fast sites & slow sites, clean sites and dirty sites, then you have a good supervisor that works for that builder, if all the site are simular...you have a good building manager, good builder.

I don’t live in that area , but definitely can go for a drive .. Thankyou so much
Related
13/05/2024
Building a boundary house - up against neighbours house

Building A New House

Good on you for having a go I am the opposite of DIY (so will pay a builder) - our vibe is industrial/simple so current thinking is 150mm concrete and then internally is…

26/06/2023
New House

Building A New House

Yes well there solution is to blame everyone else while I a 65yr old woman with major medical problems have to just continue to boil water and wash myself in a bucket…

7/09/2023
Leak in wall new house

General Discussion

If you make sure all taps inside and out are turned off, what does the water meter show if you leave it for a while.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum