Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Critical stage inspection & defects report Sydney

Page 1 of 1
Hi
I'm looking for a inspection & defects report to be provided due to poor substandard work by the builder.

Can anyone suggest an inspector?

might be me
but i am not seeing anything too bad
maybe the brick cutting in the last photo, but the trim is yet to go on
Image 1
The washers & nuts are required to have uniform tie-down, the issue you have is only 1/4 to 1/3 of the washers are doing the job, Sydney obviously is not a high wind zone, but those connections run the risk of sheer.
Image 2
Cutting the bottom plate to allow the waste to be brought up in the wall is fine, BUT the section showing to the bottom part of the image shows an anka bolt to tie the frame to the slab is correct, you need to confirm there is a tie anka bolt on the other side (top side of image) of the stud. The whole of the bottom plate needs to be rigid.
The issue I do see is that wall has a diagonal tie (bracing wall) without that anka bolt that brace is useless!
Image 3
I'm guessing its in the garage, if not where's the wrap to the frame. If it is the garage not good practice but ok
Image 4
Nice checkout of the bricks. Are they just expecting the beam to like where its siting and stay there? because they seem to have not fixed the beam to anything, bolts, coach screws would probably help!
aussieta
might be me
but i am not seeing anything too bad
maybe the brick cutting in the last photo, but the trim is yet to go on

Bolts to steel post are not tensioned and the anchors were set after complaining to the builder that it was not standard. Actually, I was able to undo the nuts with my fingers.
BuildingandLegal
Image 1
The washers & nuts are required to have uniform tie-down, the issue you have is only 1/4 to 1/3 of the washers are doing the job, Sydney obviously is not a high wind zone, but those connections run the risk of sheer.
Image 2
Cutting the bottom plate to allow the waste to be brought up in the wall is fine, BUT the section showing to the bottom part of the image shows an anka bolt to tie the frame to the slab is correct, you need to confirm there is a tie anka bolt on the other side (top side of image) of the stud. The whole of the bottom plate needs to be rigid.
The issue I do see is that wall has a diagonal tie (bracing wall) without that anka bolt that brace is useless!
Image 3
I'm guessing its in the garage, if not where's the wrap to the frame. If it is the garage not good practice but ok
Image 4
Nice checkout of the bricks. Are they just expecting the beam to like where its siting and stay there? because they seem to have not fixed the beam to anything, bolts, coach screws would probably help!

You are correct - Img 1 & 2 require further work.

My concern with the waste pipe is that it's past the frame and sits slightly over, to the entertainment room (Right hand site )
How is this going to be fixed?

In regards to wrapping, there are none - this was raised by the BASIX provider - according to his report the insulation will sit on the frame and no wrapping is required.

The flooring to upper level is not even - notice the waves on the flooring - concern is mainly when the tiling is set

Sag to the RHS o the sliding door between frame

unncessesaary nailing

appears to be damaged by terminate to the frame?

cracked beams throughout

inappropriate nailing

BuildingandLegal
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
The waste will have a reducer fitted, probably a 100x50 or a 100x40 depending on what it's picking up so it's fine.
your new 1st & 2nd images are rim board their sole purpose is to prevent rotation of the I-Joists, so these are fine.
Your frame and floor have clearly been exposed to the weather for some time, in the current market unfortunate, but is is what it is. Your state's Standard & Tolerance Guide will provide a good reference to check this stuff against, but the deviation in the chipboard floor is a weather sag between 2 I-Joists at 600mm centres, this is within tolerance.
Your "unncessesaary nailing" is necessary! as you're talking about the straps. The bottom plate is nailed down to the floor, the studs are nailed through the bottom plate into the stud, these straps are providing resistance against uplift. In other words that strap nailed to the inside face of the stud runs under the bottom plate which is nailed down and runs up the outside face of the stud. so it is there to hold the frame down to the floor.
The delamination of the top piece of the I-Joist is weather related and not ideal but as the upper floor is completed the loads will load-down and close up the separation.
The paper is a VAPOUR BARRIER not insulation, it's sole purpose is to protect the frame against the transfer of moisture. It is there to address condensation, & it would have protected your frames to a certain degree.
If you had an independent stage inspection I would be demanding my money back, any idiot can take a photo and put it in a report, your inspector should have raised these issues and explained why they need to be addressed.
Related
2/04/2024
Defects/Items found after final inspection

Building A New House

The significant date is when receive final payment invoice Check that section of contract Bit of fluff by builders prior to that

14/04/2024
Pre Lining Inspection with defects

Building A New House

There are a lot of private inspectors should have stayed working as tradies!! Firstly, you paid for a professional opinion of the works, if he has picked up on an item he…

2/08/2023
DBI Claim for Defects

General Discussion

Sorry forgot to mention I am in Victoria.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum