Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Square set cornice

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know the rough cost difference between square set cornices and regular cornices? New build is 24sqm and builder recommended to only do square set on the bottom storey to save money (or do normal cornices in rooms I don’t care about such as WIR). I’m not keen on difference cornices in a new build but curious to know how much extra it would be
mads707
Does anyone know the rough cost difference between square set cornices and regular cornices? New build is 24sqm and builder recommended to only do square set on the bottom storey to save money (or do normal cornices in rooms I don’t care about such as WIR). I’m not keen on difference cornices in a new build but curious to know how much extra it would be

Hi Mads707

Unfortunately your question is a bit like the old " how long is a piece of string" question.

The reason being is that it depends on the deal that your builder has with their gyprocker and also the style and brand of cornice you are selecting.

So there are cornices that range from $3/m to $60 plus per meter.

Typically the cheapest way to gyprock is to go for a basic cornice such as a 90mm cove cornice. That would be bottom on the price and aesthetic scale.

Square set and P50 shadow line is more expensive, especially if you are also square setting windows.

For our clients we have a deal with our gyprocker and we offer squareset for the same cost as a cove cornice option.

Once you get into more decorative cornices you can easily pay $5-15/m which would be more expensive than square set. The $60/m ones are custom made for renovations in older homes.

But dont use two different styles in your house as that is an awful look

Cheers

Simeon
mads707

best thing would be to ask your builder to quote both options so you can decide. this is something i hate when talking to the builders. whenever i ask for something they go 'oh it's very expensive' instead of telling me the price and letting me decide whether it's expensive or not.
strannik
mads707

best thing would be to ask your builder to quote both options so you can decide. this is something i hate when talking to the builders. whenever i ask for something they go 'oh it's very expensive' instead of telling me the price and letting me decide whether it's expensive or not.

Great advice
Ashington Homes
strannik
mads707

Great advice

Thanks both! I know - it’s very tricky making a million decisions with every preferred option being “more expensive”. Contemplated doing the WIR and laundry with the basic 90 cornices but I think if we are talking a few k difference, I’ll do the whole house.
Not sure how much help it will be but my house is going to be 32SQ and I have elected to have square sets to entry, kitchen, family, meals, nook and rear hallway. The cost is $1100.
mads707

For our 38 sq home, our builder (Rawson Homes) charged us $3,990 to provide square set wall/ceiling junctions throughout in lieu of the standard 90mm cove cornice.
Related
16/03/2024
Crooked wall or cornice?

Building A New House

The photo is not really clear but to me it looks like twist in the cornice. Slight anticlockwise rotation at the top of the cornice and slightly clockwise at bottom should…

5/11/2023
Building a 39 square house in Schofields Sydney

General Discussion

No idea about the driveway question, but your price for a house that size including landscaping seems very good!

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum