Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Alfresco Surface Tiling

Page 1 of 1
Trying to weigh up whether to go with composite timber decking or outdoor tiles for our alfresco and courtyard.

I know decking would need to be mounted on a system of bearers and joists, but is there any advantage with also laying/mounting tiles to bearers and joists? Or is it good enough to just lay directly onto the concrete slab?

Have been looking at the Outdure decking and support system which can support either timber or tiles.
mockkie
Trying to weigh up whether to go with composite timber decking or outdoor tiles for our alfresco and courtyard.

I know decking would need to be mounted on a system of bearers and joists, but is there any advantage with also laying/mounting tiles to bearers and joists? Or is it good enough to just lay directly onto the concrete slab?

Have been looking at the Outdure decking and support system which can support either timber or tiles.

is your alfresco on bearers and joists?
Home2021
mockkie

is your alfresco on bearers and joists?

that's what i'm considering.

I'll have a concrete slab... just need to decide on how much to rebate the concrete. whether to allow just for tile to be laid directly on the slab or use bearer and joist system for the tiles which might extend out further to the boundary.
we were told by the builder that we can't have alfresco tiles at the same level as main floor.
it needs to be rebated so that the water doesn't get blown into the house during a storm.

so if you want the alfresco floor to be level with the house floor, you'd have to go for timber decking, since it has holes for water to escape.
strannik
we were told by the builder that we can't have alfresco tiles at the same level as main floor.
it needs to be rebated so that the water doesn't get blown into the house during a storm.

so if you want the alfresco floor to be level with the house floor, you'd have to go for timber decking, since it has holes for water to escape.

Hey Strannik,

Thanks for that info. Your builder didn't happen to mention the minimum the tiles would need to be rebated?
they didn't, but i found this page: https://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/blog/tradie ... -balconies

so depends on your area's wind rating
strannik

You can do tiling at the same level, but you have to build up a structure for them. I've seen these at various display homes. The structure still has a gap between the house and the alfresco floor of about 10-15mm so no water that gathers on the tiles will enter the home, but I dont know what sort of structure these were laid on. It felt pretty solid.
yeah i guess i should've been a bit clearer in my post. the builder wasn't talking about tiles per se, they said they cannot raise the alfresco/porch slab to allow tiles to be level with the house floor. i suppose you could put tiles on top of some timber frame following the same guidelines around water gaps as you would for timber decking
Related
13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

16/11/2023
Possible to "surface over" or would I need to completely rel

Paving & Concreting

You can wash over existing pavers with 10% solution of water and hydrochloric acid, then wash off. The acid will provide for required bond key with new concrete.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum