Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

STEEL FRAMED HOME NEAR THE OCEAN - PERTH

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone

Want to get some advice from those professional builders on whether looking at building a steel-framed home near the ocean is a smart thing to do? I understand it’s stronger it’s more energy-efficient and no termite problems however how would this be with the salt water and the wind in the area. I’m about 300m from the ocean! Can anyway advise? I’m not sure what type of steel it is? But is stainless steel okay for beachside homes?? Or shall I steer right away from it??? HELP!!!!
If you are in Perth why not to build double brick?

Steel framed houses have a lot of drawbacks especially when it gets to the challenges in insulating them properly and hence the effects of thermal expansion and contraction.
alexp79
If you are in Perth why not to build double brick?

Steel framed houses have a lot of drawbacks especially when it gets to the challenges in insulating them properly and hence the effects of thermal expansion and contraction.

Trying to cut down costs. 50k cheaper. What do you mean expansion?? Will it creak and everything ??
Just in the final stages of our build, 700m from the ocean, beside a saltwater lake.

I used a crew from Bega called The Steel Framing Company using Truecore steel, frames stood for several weeks, were rained on, no sign of corrosion.

I was particularly careful to avoid leaving any swarf in the bottom plate or any of the other framework once erected, and sprayed any cuts and holes .

In our case the risk of termites far exceeds the metal mouse in my lifetime.

Use a good thermal break, and choose cladding that is suited for use with steel.

If you are constructing yourself, I recommend that you acquire a goog quality impact on driver, and right angle pact be driver, and use a tennis elbow brace.....

C-section framing that forms a complete C rather than 2 fold is more expensive, but it is much stronge

I used category 3 or 4 fasteners for everything. There is no reason that the steel frame won't last an easy 50 years as water leaks are really the only risk.

At 300m from the beach you should use stainless colotbond roof sheeting regardless of your frame choice.

Thylacene
Just in the final stages of our build, 700m from the ocean, beside a saltwater lake.

I used a crew from Bega called The Steel Framing Company using Truecore steel, frames stood for several weeks, were rained on, no sign of corrosion.

I was particularly careful to avoid leaving any swarf in the bottom plate or any of the other framework once erected, and sprayed any cuts and holes .

Use a good thermal break, and choose cladding that is suited for use with steel.

If you are constructing yourself, I recommend that you acquire a goog quality impact on driver, and right angle pact be driver, and use a tennis elbow brace.....

C-section framing that forms a complete C rather than 2 fold is more expensive, but it is much stronge

I used category 3 or 4 fasteners for everything. There is no reason that the steel frame won't last an easy 50 years as water leaks are really the only risk.

At 300m from the beach you should use stainless colotbond roof sheeting regardless of your frame choice.

Hey thanks for your advice! That’s brilliant. Are you in Perth? Well they use fibre cement cladding with the steel frames and yes they will use colour one as well. But I just wanted to know how the rust would work. Also would it creak as everything expands etc? So you’re saying a two storey C shape with a Void would be more expensive than a normal square on square home?
holdtheline
Thylacene

Hey thanks for your advice! That’s brilliant. Are you in Perth? Well they use fibre cement cladding with the steel frames and yes they will use colour one as well. But I just wanted to know how the rust would work. Also would it creak as everything expands etc? So you’re saying a two storey C shape with a Void would be more expensive than a normal square on square home?

SE NSW.

C section studs rather than U section, the extra lips add strength.

You are correct, a rectangular home is cheaper to build, every feature detail adds cost.

You might want to have a close look at what they are proposing, and check out the insulation values, you pay for a house once, you pay your energy bills at least 4 times a year

Here is an industry bulletin from Bluescope personally I don't like steel framing and much prefer timber.
It's borderline with Bluescope is regards to neing that close to the ocean but I don't trust it, im in Secret Harbour on the golf course about 700m from the beach and the salt air attacks everything

Sorry that imagine is shocking it's Bluescope steel Technical Bullet TB-34, just google that

Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

24/03/2024
Building Near Train Track - Additional Cost for Acoustics

Building A New House

Our standard double-glazed window is tested to achieve, Rw 34, and can be glazed to suit Rw 39. The price is good too...

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum