Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Blinds and Curtains inclusion with Builder or not

Page 1 of 1
I am currently building with BPH and they have offered vertical blinds all through. Ideally, I would prefer

OPTION 1 : Rollers blinds with Sheer curtains

OPTION 2 : Window Shutters

the builder uses Decor and Blinds and when I contacted them, was told getting them via the builder maybe cheaper than retail price

Can anyone advise if it will be cheaper to do this independent of the builder or just go along with the builder.

Also any recommendation independent of the builder will highly be appreciated
I'd be very dubious about this.
Decor & Blinds might sell them to the builder at wholesale price but you can almost 100% guarantee that the builder will put their markup on to it.
It's not like there's a shortage of firms who can provide that gear and it's not like you can't play a couple of them off against each other.
We did shutters on windows and blinds with sheers on sliding doors through the builder. The price was slightly higher than doing it ourselves after handover, but I didn't want the hassle of another thing to have to organise, and liked the idea of them being in and done and ready when we move in.

Plus landscaping and what not is going to cost a little coin, so absorbing the window furnishings into the loan just made sense for us at this stage.
whether it's cheaper or not will depend on what mark up builder puts on them. best to get a quote or few independently, and then compare it to the builder's quote.
Thanks all for the response, I am currently just chasing up quotes from different vendors
window treatment/furnishings are not cheap even if you can make them yourself.

for roller blinds and other similar treatments, the cheapest I've found are the number of DIY websites (like "diy blinds" or "blinds online" ) you can punch in in the measurements and they custom make them for you to install yourself. The process is simple and is effectively what many installers do. Many don't have the tooling to make the blinds, just order them and install them.
I'm doing my whole home in holland black out blinds only for about 3.3k. once you start adding sheer rollers and motors/automation etc it gets expensive.

Wife will be sewing the drapes, but the material for nice drapes is pretty expensive too.
Once you have drawings with the window sizes it's easy to get a few quotes and compare.

We did and ended up going with the builders supplier as they had similar product to others at a better price.

Does your build include flyscreens?
Thanks, I sort of agree with you on this, the builders price have come up to be cheaper than the three quotes I have received so far for similar quality of material
Related
28/09/2023
If a Builder is taking deposits and not getting DBI how can

General Discussion

Thanks. I called VBA today and they said it was a Consumer Affairs issue, the old handball. Seems like the government organisations don't want to do their job at the moment.

1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum