Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis Grange Build(Lots of questions!) Waldorf Grange

Page 1 of 1
Hello HomeOne Forumers,

I am a long time reader and first-time poster! I have already read hundreds of posts and can't seem to find the exact answers I need so I am hoping for some help.

We are very lucky to have a large block and are looking at a knockdown rebuild. We are hoping to build our dream home and subdivide the back of the block for an investment property. The land parcel is flat, soil is good, most builds that we are looking at fit the building code, council requirements, etc and we know approximate demolition costs, etc.

The Waldorf Grange 44 Floorplan basically ticks every box from a wishlist (void, 4Bed, 2+Bath, Balcony and upstair terrace). However, my husband is desperate to get a seaview and we may get it from a front-facing balcony, however, it is likely that the area will have lots of double story developments that will then block any view we have in future so has suggested a custom build with rooftop courtyard .... however, this is super unrealistic in comparison to a budget of around $650k for a build.

It has taken us a lot of hardship to get to this point where we can build and we want to make sure it is right before we pull the trigger. I would be grateful for any advice on the following -

Custom or Volume Builder
Is a 4 bedroom, 2+ bathroom, 3 living area with void and grange level finishes realistic in a custom build?
I have contacted a couple of custom builders and they are very vague as they wish to sell you a version of their home or charge you to draw up plans that likely won't align with budget. One builder said that a floorplan like the Porter Davis Grange would cost $700k - I would assume this is +draft +surveying +++ then there is the rooftop terrace suggestion thrown into the mix.

I am also open to other volume builders that have luxury homes with voids, upstair terraces and balconies like the Grange series.

Also, is there any cost-benefit or otherwise of building both properties through Porter Davis rather than through a separate builder or building at a later time?

Attic/Roof Conversion
This is a curly one!
I know that a roof conversion really only works best on terrace houses and you would be looking at $60k+ (likely 100k complete. I also understand that council planning is a nightmare but at this stage, I would just like to get an idea if it is even possible. Again, custom builders won't give an example of a completed build cost with roof before you commit to a project with them, so we have no idea what it would cost.
Our local area allows a roof height up to 8.5 metres. A Grange series total ceiling height allows an additional for 3.3 metres for a pitched roof home. In Europe, Attic conversions and attic balcony conversions are very common and may be an option. General advice has suggested that $30k - $60k could achieve this and a builder can provide the additional reinforcement to make it a habitable space (STCA).

Porter Davis cannot give any advice on any upgrades that we are able to do in order to make the roof as structurally sound as possible - for future conversion.

Any advice on attic conversion or rooftop terraces would be appreciated.

Total Additional Costs:
We would budget for an additional $100k for Porter Davis related site costs and minor upgrades from the ticket price of the basic waldorf grange 44. This isn't including the possibility of adding an attic or a terrace, etc. Is this realistic?

Cost Saving suggestions:
Waldorf_Grange_Build had lots of suggestions, i.e purchase a fireplace separately. What cost saving advice does anyone have with these builds.

Facades:
What facades are available on the Waldorf Grange Build?
The sales consultants have redirected me to the website, however, I can see that there are grange facades that aren't available for every home design and have been given no further advice.

I have also contacted Porter Davis and talked to a couple of sales consultants, however, other than sending through building plans (without roof height specified), their advice has been pretty vague, which is why I am asking for some general advice and guidance.

Cheers everyone! Thanks for your help and best of luck with your own build/reno journeys.
I had a quick look at PD Waldorf on their website, the base price is $493k. Your budget of $650k should be able to include site cost, upgrades, and maybe even landscaping, if not, probably able to finish around $700k. I can hardly imagine a volume builder will build an attic or rooftop terrace for you on top of their predesigned floor plans. I'm not sure if you need to budget another $100k on top of your $650k.

For a custom builder to give you a 44sq house, $700k is even a bit of stretch in my opinion. $900k is my minimum expectation if you want something decent. It should include design and draft if they have it in-house. Site cost should be included too.

If your location has a possible oceanview, why not considering living upstairs and bedrooms downstairs instead of a rooftop terrace. When you put living upstairs, it's not that difficult to include a large balcony facing your view. Heaps of houses bayside have similar design and they look fantastic.

For a bayside property, I like the look of contemporary flat roof design. Attic in a pitch roof probably won't look as impressive.

If I were you and financial allows, I would subdivide and build both properties and sells one after built. It would give you a better financial return.
Thanks Jason! Great info! Yes... we are looking at subdividing and keeping the other house as an investment or sell to pay down debt. I really appreciate the advice!
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

7/07/2023
Retaining wall questions

Landscape & Garden Design

Not sure what council area you are in. Some LGA's allow zero lot retaining walls. This usually occurs in greenfield developments but not often in established areas. You…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum