Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Powder room - layout advice needed

Page 1 of 1
Hi, This is my first build and first post. We are in the process of designing our first home and need some advice on the layout of our powder rooms.
To note: I prefer a hinged door rather than a sliding door as I feel they are more private.

Powder room 1 (downstairs) - Size 2210mm x 1186mm (ignore size in image) - Do you think we have enough room to add a swinging door here with the same layout? Should this open to the toiled or sink?

Powder room 2 (upstairs/near kids bedrooms) - size 1850mm x 955mm - I have included a side by side image of the 2 possible layouts. Do you think option 2 would leave enough space in the bathroom to wash hands etc?
Im concerned that with option 1 the sliding door will always be left open and it will be the first thing you see when going up stairs.

Thanks in advance for any help

Normally a door is 900mm. You should be able to have a swing door for your downstairs powder room, it just might be a little tight. I would have the door open to the sink.

For your upstairs powder room, looks like you will lose bench space of the sink if you want a swing door. Would you consider actually combining your powder room and the bathroom? This is just a rough sketch. I think this would be more practical? And it's a better looking bathroom in my opinion.

This is ours, quite similar, but we prefer sliding door as it's annoying to close a hinged door in a confined space. We put a privacy lock on the doors well. Dimensions are 2090x1450. The toilet cistern is in the wall which will give a little extra space.
Jason526
Normally a door is 900mm. You should be able to have a swing door for your downstairs powder room, it just might be a little tight. I would have the door open to the sink.

For your upstairs powder room, looks like you will lose bench space of the sink if you want a swing door. Would you consider actually combining your powder room and the bathroom? This is just a rough sketch. I think this would be more practical? And it's a better looking bathroom in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply! We've now decided to remove the bath as we dont think there is enough room. There is also a bath in our ensuite that we can use Our thinking behind having a separate toilet/bathroom is that they may want to use the bathroom to get ready and having them connected makes it more difficult to use the toilet if the bathroom is occupied. There will also be a powder room downstairs though.
Jason526

Thanks for the reply! We've now decided to remove the bath as we dont think there is enough room. There is also a bath in our ensuite that we can use Our thinking behind having a separate toilet/bathroom is that they may want to use the bathroom to get ready and having them connected makes it more difficult to use the toilet if the bathroom is occupied. There will also be a powder room downstairs though.
Davos

This is ours, quite similar, but we prefer sliding door as it's annoying to close a hinged door in a confined space. We put a privacy lock on the doors well. Dimensions are 2090x1450. The toilet cistern is in the wall which will give a little extra space.

Thanks for the reply. Do you find that the sliding door gives adequate privacy?
We haven’t built yet, but we renovated a few years ago and had an open ensuite with toilet. We built the toilet in and put in a sliding door and while privacy isn’t as important, we find it does close off completely if we want. But for a powder room, yes you need complete privacy, so I think if there’s a lock in the door, it should be fine. I guess as long as the door lines up lol.
Related
17/03/2024
Large open plan living room layout options

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hello! We have a very large open plan living room and wanted to get layout options, and furnishing ideas for this space. Currently there is only a…

29/05/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

What is the distance between the island and the bench please?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum