Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Appointing own Surveyor - VIC - Metricon

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone appointed their own surveyor for their Metricon build rather than using the Metricon 'Checkpoint' appointed?

I'm trying to understand what will give me the best outcome.
[quote="stanks":14ktcoia]Has anyone appointed their own surveyor for their Metricon build rather than using the Metricon 'Checkpoint' appointed?

I'm trying to understand what will give me the best outcome.[/quote:14ktcoia]

Appointing your own would conceivably get you a better outcome because there is no conflict of interest. However, metricon also doesn't have to do business with you, which will likley become v
Quickly apparent if you do appoint your own.

Let us know how you get on
The VBA should come down hard on recidivists who make a mockery of this regulation (and the VBA).....but they won't.
SaveH2O
The VBA should come down hard on recidivists who make a mockery of this regulation (and the VBA).....but they won't.

It will have to happen one day (not any time soon though). And not before some more large scale failings.
So under ideal circumstances, a self appointed surveyor would be preferable over a builder appointed surveyor PLUS independent inspector?

A self appointed surveyor would do many of the checks that an independent inspector would do? I guess we'd then only need an independent inspector at the latter stages for quality, fit-and-finish mostly?
i think you missed the point. If you're building with Metricon, you wont be able to appoint your own surveyor. While you are eligible to do so by law, there is no law that says Metricon has to take your business.

What basically happens if you don't agree to appoint the volume builder's surveyor is the volume builder will say "thank you but on second thought we are too full to take on your project" or something to that effect.

You could fight it, at a cost to you, and you might be successful after some time and cost, at which point the base cost of your house will have already gone up ~10-20%. Remembering, Metricon doesn't have to take your business even if you win that fight. SO you can fight it on principle if you have the time, money and conviction. If you don't and you want to build with Metricon, forget about it and just agree to appoint their surveyor and get an independent inspector.
They've provided us a form to either approve their own surveyor, or we can choose to appoint our own 'non-recommended'. Apparently this was a law that was changed in 2016 for Victoria that builders couldn't designate a surveyor, the owner is given a choice.
stanks
A self appointed surveyor would do many of the checks that an independent inspector would do?

NO! Totally different roles.
stanks
They've provided us a form to either approve their own surveyor, or we can choose to appoint our own 'non-recommended'. Apparently this was a law that was changed in 2016 for Victoria that builders couldn't designate a surveyor, the owner is given a choice.

yes, they have to provide you this form. fill it out, appoint your own, see what happens.
best case scenario if your own does get appointed, expect delays, variations allowable under contract due to "unforeseen expenses outside the builders control" etc.
Yeah, that's what I'm making out from the contract and other documentation.

Use a builder appointed: We apparently don't have anything to worry about.
Use our own: Be very aware.

They make it out like having someone working in our favor is the worst thing in the world.
stanks

They make it out like having someone working in our favor is the worst thing in the world.

they want to use their own, because they can control the narrative and push things through efficiently and cheaply. Now im not suggesting that a metricon surveyor will sign stuff off unseen, but it has been known to happen in the industry. If you appointed your own, it stuffs up the whole flow at a minimum. Now that shouldn't be a reason not to appoint one, but it adds additional overhead to the builder and potentially erodes tehir margin, so you can bet your bottom dollar they will find a way to make that margin up. SO yeah, be wary either way
Noname
stanks

they want to use their own, because they can control the narrative and push things through efficiently and cheaply. Now im not suggesting that a metricon surveyor will sign stuff off unseen, but it has been known to happen in the industry. If you appointed your own, it stuffs up the whole flow at a minimum. Now that shouldn't be a reason not to appoint one, but it adds additional overhead to the builder and potentially erodes tehir margin, so you can bet your bottom dollar they will find a way to make that margin up. SO yeah, be wary either way

Yeah, there are PROS and CONS to both. I think a suitable compromise would be to use their surveyor, but enlist a private inspector to at least identify things along the way. This would at least be reasonably efficient, but also give us that piece of mind that the private inspector can note the items down. How successful we are having any potential issues remediated remains to be seen. All I want is to do everything I can to make sure we're not a roadblock in the build process, but at the same time, ensure that the builder does job to our satisfaction. Finding that sweet spot is tricky (if it even exists).
Noname
stanks

Wow, erodes their margin by appointing your own surveyor! How many shortcuts and substandard things are they planning to do? Surely they need budget their work and build to code!
Davos
Wow, erodes their margin by appointing your own surveyor! How many shortcuts and substandard things are they planning to do? Surely they need budget their work and build to code!

you're new to building, aren't you?
New to dealing with off the charts of ripping people off. Wouldn’t touch them anyway.
Davos
New to dealing with off the charts of ripping people off. Wouldn’t touch them anyway.

Sorry mate I think you're going to find a lot of commonality among builders, especially production line volume builders. Or just even between subcontracted trades.

It's not all bad but when you see dumb stuff all the time, nothing surprises you any more.

The exception is generally a reputable custom builder. Quality is not surprisingly, usually a factor of price.
Related
1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum