Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Skillion roof colour

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I'm in the process of building our new family home and the biggest decision I'm having trouble with is with the roof colour. The house as a split skillion roof so the roof itself can only be seen, when viewed from an angle. This does need to be taken into consideration as we are knocking down our current house and rebuilding further forward on the block. I did want a monument roof but due to the fact that the will make the roof hotter I've been thinking of a shale grey roof sheeting and monument fascia, gutters and roof flushing. This will give the look of a monument roof from the front of the house, but the lighter roof sheeting will be visible from an angle.

My questions are,

If I'm installing R5 ceiling insulation and 50mm anticon under the roof sheets will there really be any difference to the roof temperature.

Also having the roof flushing in monument, would this make the roof look out of place when viewed from the angle.
Hi superduke

Just wondering where you landed on this one?

I have been having the same question running through my head for months, thought I was the only one!

Want thermal benefits of light roofing but look of dark from front facade (light skillion roof/fascia doesnt suit our look). Only R3 insulation though.

Did you manage to get a render of your thoughts to visualise it? I need to decide this month if we go light or dark.
In the end we settled for shale grey roof, gutters and fascia. The roof was only started a couple of weeks ago and isn’t completely finished yet. But we are happy with the colour. I think having the roof, gutters and fascia all the same colour make the whole roof look more ingratiated.

What really made ours minds up was, I got a sample of surfmist, shale grey and monument and placed them in the sun, then carried out a temperature check with an infrared gun on a 31 degree day the monument sample was 61 degrees while the surfmist was 39. You couldn’t even hold you hand on the monument sample.

The design has monument features walls and windows to break up the light colours.
Hi superduke,

Thanks for getting back to me - amazing test on the samples!

If you had any photos of the roof would you feel OK to share? Sounds like your facade could be the exact inspo we're looking for!
Related
17/07/2023
Skillion Roof Pitch

General Discussion

Why don't you call and talk with someone at the town planning in your council?

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

30/05/2024
Roof Colour - Northern Beaches Council

Building A New House

We had a DA approved last year and here is the condition that was imposed by Northern Beaches council:

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum