Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Bushfire assessment report - NSW

Page 1 of 1
I am applying for a DA to build a house on an empty block of land which is classified as bushfire prone land. The council requires a bushfire assessment report to accompany my DA application. My block falls within Liverpool city council LGA.

I have read and heard that there is no legislation that dictates what qualification the author of this report must have. Does anyone know if this is true? The reason I am asking is, I have access to a similar report for a block of land right next door and I can amend it to suit my land. But would the council accept a DA by myself having no qualification in bushfire protection?

Alternatively, the RFS itself have an assessment kit for single dwellings but apparently not all councils accept it. Called the council to ask if they accept it, was promised a call back but it never happened.

Not really keen on paying around $1000 for something I can do myself in 2 hours.

Any help is appreciated.
obbosh
I am applying for a DA to build a house on an empty block of land which is classified as bushfire prone land. The council requires a bushfire assessment report to accompany my DA application. My block falls within Liverpool city council LGA.

I have read and heard that there is no legislation that dictates what qualification the author of this report must have. Does anyone know if this is true? The reason I am asking is, I have access to a similar report for a block of land right next door and I can amend it to suit my land. But would the council accept a DA by myself having no qualification in bushfire protection?

Alternatively, the RFS itself have an assessment kit for single dwellings but apparently not all councils accept it. Called the council to ask if they accept it, was promised a call back but it never happened.

Not really keen on paying around $1000 for something I can do myself in 2 hours.

Any help is appreciated.

Dude

I love your can do attitude and perhaps you have found a loophole that no one else has, but I don't like you chances of Council accepting your home made report.

There are quite a few courses the bushire consultants complete to get their certification. I have listed a few below:

– Masters Degree in Construction Management (UWS)
– Grad Dip ‘Design in Bushfire Prone Areas’ (UWS)
– FPA Australia BPAD Level 3 Accredited Practitioner
– BPAD Accreditation No. BPAD2354
– Certificate IV Fire Technology
– Member NSW Association of Fire Investigators
– Member of the Institute of Fire Engineers (Aust.)
– Australian Fire Service Medal

You probably could forge one if you're willing to go through that and risk it, but you will need the work certified as well.

Just spend the money and get it done right.

Just out of interest, what BAL rating were you going to give yourself?

Cheers

Simeon
I am not giving myself any BAL ratings mate. I have BAL certificate done by a bushfire consultant and my block is BAL 12.5. This was done for CDC but the council want a report not just a certificate. I just need the report done before Friday so I can submit my application on time and all bushfire consultants are too busy to meet my deadline.

If it was that difficult, why would RFS provide a self assessment kit for home owners? I just can’t get a hold of anyone in the council that would tell me if they would accept this kit.

I should have mentioned that I myself am a registered electrical engineer and work in the construction field, albeit I work in large scale projects not residential.
Ashington Homes
obbosh

Any help is appreciated.

Dude

I love your can do attitude and perhaps you have found a loophole that no one else has, but I don't like you chances of Council accepting your home made report.

There are quite a few courses the bushire consultants complete to get their certification. I have listed a few below:

You probably could forge one if you're willing to go through that and risk it, but you will need the work certified as well.

Cheers

Simeon

Interesting how you copied and pasted the above qualifications. Are you affiliated with the person with the above qualifications by any means? You were even too specific providing the BPAD registration number. Not even sure what a masters in construction management has to do with bushfire assessment mate!
obbosh
Ashington Homes
obbosh

Any help is appreciated.

Dude

Cheers

Simeon

Interesting how you copied and pasted the above qualifications. Are you affiliated with the person with the above qualifications by any means? You were even too specific providing the BPAD registration number. Not even sure what a masters in construction management has to do with bushfire assessment mate!

Dude

No offence was intended. You were the one who came onto a public forum asking for advice and then you got offended when you didn't like the advice that was offered in good faith. I wasn't making fun of you.

I even said that perhaps you had found a loophole that no one else knows about. So if you have then I wish you all the best.

Yes I cut and pasted the qualifications of one of the consultants we use to show that bushfire consultants have qualifications. Things may be different in Liverpool, but where we mainly build in ku-ring-gai council, they go over our reports with a fine tooth comb. And I couldn't imagine getting away with writing our own reports and self assessing our sites.

Anyway, it sounds like you know what you are doing and you definitely don't need anyones advice. Just do your own report, lodge it and let us know how you go.

All the best

Simeon
Mate, what made you think that a master in construction management or Australian fire service “medal” are qualifications that entitle their holder to give advice on BAL ratings?
Also, the institute of fire engineers is a UK based organisation so I am not really sure how a member of it is an expert in Australian fire rules and regulations.
You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about and just copying and pasting the qualifications of the guy you use for your jobs.
Not really sure how your reply answered my question. So thanks, keep your valuable information for yourself if they don’t answer my specific query.
Related
15/05/2024
Concrete slab solar assessment Canberra

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi Im having trouble getting anyone to provide useful advice on going for an insulated slab North facing extension. I had Lighthouse group do the energy assessment last…

29/06/2023
Landscape Design Parramatta NSW

Landscape & Garden Design

Landscape Design Parramatta We have been doing a large amount of landscape design work in Sydney…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum