Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

NOTICE OF PRACTICAL COMPLETION

Page 1 of 1
We have been given notice of practical completion, along with final account and tax invoice.

The site supervisor has said that the pre practical completion inspection, handover and practical completion will all take place on the same day. Is this normal?

This is also the second notice, account and tax invoice. Practical completion was meant to be last Friday but builder reneged on the day.

This is what we received:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
NOTICE OF PRACTICAL COMPLETION

In accordance with Clause 21 of the HIA Building Agreement, set out below please find our Notice of Practical Completion.

Practical Completion means: Practical completion means when the building works are complete except for minor omissions and defects that do not prevent the building works from being reasonably capable of being used for their usual purpose.

1) We, the Builder, hereby deem the date of Practical Completion of this Property to be: Friday, 21 May 2021

2) You (The Property Owner/s), are booked to meet your Site Supervisor on site for final handover, on: Friday, 21 May 2021 (Tentative to be confirmed by site Supervisor)

Please Note: The Owner is responsible to insure the building works from the date of Practical Completion. Refer to Clause 38.7 of Contract
The normal procedure is to have the practical completion inspection around 10 days to a week before handover

The builder then usually has the period to remedy defects before handover.

If, as is likely, you will find some defects arranging for them to be remedied will be much more difficult after handover.

It seems to me the builder is trying to confuse you as the typical HIA Building agreement has a section on Completion of Works which details a pre handover Inspection. The builder does not appear to be following what the typical contract expects.

Read your contract.
done

Can I ask which builder you are using?
Related
24/11/2023
late completion penalty

Building A New House

Like I said the Occupancy Certificate is not the tollgate that marks the completion of the house. The contract defines…

13/06/2024
What are our rights with our draftsman and the completion of

Building A New House

I second taking your plans elsewhere. They're yours (unless you ended up in one of those cheaper arrangements where you don't own the rights and the build will be tendered…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum