Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Pre-Construction Timeline

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I was just hoping to get some idea of how long people have experienced their pre-construction timeline.

To give an idea, my partner and I are building a house in Vic. We signed the first piece of paperwork in mid December and we have a titled block. We were initially told back then that the build perhaps would start somewhere around March/April.
We have found that the whole process so far has been quite slow and when we last spoke to our builder they advised that the preliminary date for site start isn't until July.
Is 8 months from locking in floorplan and signing the initial paperwork a normal timeline? This is not a custom design or anything. It's a standard floorplan with a few changes to it which were standard alterations that the builder already had available to choose from.
Just curious if other people on here started roughly the same time as us and where you are at?
butterfly12
Hi,

I was just hoping to get some idea of how long people have experienced their pre-construction timeline.

To give an idea, my partner and I are building a house in Vic. We signed the first piece of paperwork in mid December and we have a titled block. We were initially told back then that the build perhaps would start somewhere around March/April.
We have found that the whole process so far has been quite slow and when we last spoke to our builder they advised that the preliminary date for site start isn't until July.
Is 8 months from locking in floorplan and signing the initial paperwork a normal timeline? This is not a custom design or anything. It's a standard floorplan with a few changes to it which were standard alterations that the builder already had available to choose from.
Just curious if other people on here started roughly the same time as us and where you are at?

I guess it could depend on a number of things but from signing on the dotted line with the builder i think our construction started within a month.
butterfly12
Hi,

Ooof that's not normal. Have you done your internal colours, tile choice, upgrades, electrical etc? If not then it will even longer till those choices are done and then either submitted for CDC or DA Approval with the council.. You could have another 5-6 month wait if the above not done
So had a look at our timeline so far - my comment above stating less than a month was after everything had been finalised and we locked in a signed the final contract.

The whole planning process did take some time though (about 8 months from first tender to breaking ground).

29/06/20 - First Tender
01/10/20 - Signed Contract Plan (after about 7 or 8 tender revisions)
27/10/20 - 5% deposit
// internal and external colour selections done //
27/11/20 - CDC
// 3 week closure over xmas //
01/02/21 - Signed Construction Plans
05/02/21 - Excavation started
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum