Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

No Pre-Construction meeting with Supervisor?

Page 1 of 1
I am about to start building with Escape Homes and have been told I won't have a per-construction meeting with the supervisor. Is this normal? I wan't to talk and explain what I am expecting etc.

It makes me nervous to think that they skip this.
Jackhomebuilder

Welcome to the Contiki Tour version of homebuilding
You must be at breakfast by 7am, we need to be on the bus by 8am to visit the Eiffel tower for 2 hours, then morning tea, then a river cruise at 12.30pm etc There is no chance for you to ever tell the tour guide where you want to go, to many other customers to keep happy.

Sorry to break the bad news but you need to lower your expectations. It shouldn't be this way but it is. You are just a number on a production line and your opinions and needs don't mean anything to your supervisor
He is too busy building 14 other homes at the same time to care about you. Not saying this to be mean, it's just a sad reality of Australia's building industry.

EDIT

Just checked out their website and they do say the following:

"We pride ourselves on our exceptional service, involving you in the process from the very beginning and keeping you informed about your build every step of the way."

Maybe screenshot that part of their "about us" section on the website and send it to your supervisor.

Anyway, best of luck

Cheers

Simeon
Is a pre-construction meeting with the supervisor agreed in your contract?
SejaeD
Jackhomebuilder

You must be at breakfast by 7am, we need to be on the bus by 8am to visit the Eiffel tower for 2 hours, then morning tea, then a river cruise at 12.30pm etc There is no chance for you to ever tell the tour guide where you want to go, to many other customers to keep happy.

Sorry to break the bad news but you need to lower your expectations. It shouldn't be this way but it is. You are just a number on a production line and your opinions and needs don't mean anything to your supervisor
He is too busy building 14 other homes at the same time to care about you. Not saying this to be mean, it's just a sad reality of Australia's building industry.

EDIT

"We pride ourselves on our exceptional service, involving you in the process from the very beginning and keeping you informed about your build every step of the way."

Maybe screenshot that part of their "about us" section on the website and send it to your supervisor.

Anyway, best of luck

Cheers

Simeon

It is very unfortunate, I work for another builder and know that some care and others don't. I would love a meeting though
Kippers01
Is a pre-construction meeting with the supervisor agreed in your contract?

Unfortunately not, I did think it was standard practice
JackHomeBuilder
and have been told I won't have a per-construction meeting with the supervisor. Is this normal? I

It sounds like he has too much work on (like everyone else in building industry), not to forget to mention the trade and material shortage.
No point in scheduling meetings if no one is on site, for eg. in Perth there's a 8 week delays on windows atm.
JackHomeBuilder
and I wan't to talk and explain what I am expecting etc.

The time to explain and discuss the build is before you sign the contract while looking over the Contract documents.

JackHomeBuilder

LOL, make sure they don't skip, skimp or you get Sucked in ( 3 S's) with this is "How we Do it....Bulldust... (Humour)
Be prepared here's some tips
1.Make sure you have complete Documentations and Engineering
2.Have the critical stages properly and professionally inspected , ie, footings/slab, framework , brickwork,etc
3.Get into the habit of checking stages and taking notes, photos, etc when ever you visit your build
4.Start a build thread post regularly, people do look at what you put up, big plus it also helps others.
my2c OT Forget Posting on Insta, FB and following influences
5.There are experts on this forum tag them
6.If the problem is potentially a major issue, put your concerns in writing to the builder, consult with the council Building Surveyor on compliance and an engineer about certified alternate solutions for non compliance .
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
JackHomeBuilder
and have been told I won't have a per-construction meeting with the supervisor. Is this normal? I

It sounds like he has too much work on (like everyone else in building industry), not to forget to mention the trade and material shortage.
No point in scheduling meetings if no one is on site, for eg. in Perth there's a 8 week delays on windows atm.
JackHomeBuilder
and I wan't to talk and explain what I am expecting etc.

The time to explain and discuss the build is before you sign the contract while looking over the Contract documents.

JackHomeBuilder

LOL, make sure they don't skip, skimp or you get Sucked in ( 3 S's) with this is "How we Do it....Bulldust... (Humour)
Be prepared here's some tips
1.Make sure you have complete Documentations and Engineering
2.Have the critical stages properly and professionally inspected , ie, footings/slab, framework , brickwork,etc
3.Get into the habit of checking stages and taking notes, photos, etc when ever you visit your build
4.Start a build thread post regularly, people do look at what you put up, big plus it also helps others.
my2c OT Forget Posting on Insta, FB and following influences
5.There are experts on this forum tag them
6.If the problem is potentially a major issue, put your concerns in writing to the builder, consult with the council Building Surveyor on compliance and an engineer about certified alternate solutions for non compliance .
Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris,

I will be visiting our site very regularly and have decent experience with looking at pre construction and under construction homes so hopefully i can keep an eye on the quality. But will definitely try to be onto everything.

Any idea how much generally and inspector will cost for the stages? I have asked for some quotes for this.
JackHomeBuilder
SejaeD
Jackhomebuilder

EDIT

Anyway, best of luck

Cheers

Simeon

It is very unfortunate, I work for another builder and know that some care and others don't. I would love a meeting though

you'd think it should be standard practice. Our clients come to site everyday if they wish. Just old fashioned customer service.

oh well. Some of the other posters have given some good advice, but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on construction

have a great day

cheers

Simeon
JackHomeBuilder
SejaeD
Jackhomebuilder

EDIT

Anyway, best of luck

Cheers

Simeon

why didnt you build with the builder you work for?
Noname
JackHomeBuilder
SejaeD
Jackhomebuilder

EDIT

Anyway, best of luck

Cheers

Simeon

why didnt you build with the builder you work for?

Cost was the biggest factor, the homes aren't as custom to fit blocks, and the inclusions weren't as good. However if i built with them i'd probably be done quicker and keep an eye on the quality.

Live and learn, but money is tight so had to save as much as we could
interesting that they couldn't do you a good deal. Seems like the kind of perk that would really drive employee loyalty and productivity.
Noname
interesting that they couldn't do you a good deal. Seems like the kind of perk that would really drive employee loyalty and productivity.

Yeah when I was at Metricon the staff got big discounts. Cant remember if it was 10% or 15% but it was definitely a job perk that a lot of staff benefited from.

Their christmas parties were amazing as well!

For my guys we will build at cost.
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum