Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Budget for good custom home builders in ACT

Page 1 of 1
We've got an architect designing a two-storey, 260sqm home for us and we're looking around for builders that do a half-decent job in the ACT. It seems like a hard find in Canberra.

Our budget is around the low $3000/psqm mark. We've looked around and some builders are even suggesting $5000/psqm without even seeing the plans. We knew going in that building in Canberra was expensive, but didn't expect that kind of shock.

So we'd appreciate any recommendations or advice on reliable builders and what to expect for a per square metre quote. Thanks!
Sorry you didn't get a reply, that is crazy pricing, We are building down the hill in Batemans Bay the price seems to be between 1800 - $3000 per sqm, $5000 would be ridicious I don't know how the bank would value that either to be viable with others in the area, it's not Sydney prices quite.
antler
We've got an architect designing a two-storey, 260sqm home for us and we're looking around for builders that do a half-decent job in the ACT. It seems like a hard find in Canberra.

Our budget is around the low $3000/psqm mark. We've looked around and some builders are even suggesting $5000/psqm without even seeing the plans. We knew going in that building in Canberra was expensive, but didn't expect that kind of shock.

So we'd appreciate any recommendations or advice on reliable builders and what to expect for a per square metre quote. Thanks!

I am curious to know why Canberra is so expensive? Is it lack of trades or union control or other factors

We are building primarily on the north shore in Sydney, and we are doing some pretty high quality builds between $2,000-2,500/sqm including design and engineering. I just cant get my head around $5,000/sqm
I couldn't fathom paying in excess of 1 million for that size home... regardless of quality or location.
I’m building a custom home in Canberra with a reputable local builder ( Denman Prospect). Does your 260ms include grange balcony etc. My house is around mid-2000/Sqm with mid-high finishes. This calculation includes garage. For details please check my Instagram (link below)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL37-8CBAyM ... gfgmdyiz3i
I’m building with Achieve Homes and have found their prices to be very reasonable.
It is a custom home?
At this rate, happy to go owner builder over here.
SejaeD
antler

I am curious to know why Canberra is so expensive? Is it lack of trades or union control or other factors

We are building primarily on the north shore in Sydney, and we are doing some pretty high quality builds between $2,000-2,500/sqm including design and engineering. I just cant get my head around $5,000/sqm

People seem to be just willing to put up with the crap.

There aren't enough builders here. Some of them just start-up, build a few houses, liquidate and start-up again under a new name. There's very little government oversight over the construction industry over here.
$3000/m2 is a very generous rate to afford a good builder with high end inclusions; $5000/m2 - its a crazy rate I guess normally associated with inter suburb's over-architecture fancy builds (where you will have very difficult designs to implement and a lot of exotic materials in use). We have our build completed a year ago for about $2200/m2 with very high end inclusions (all windows German uPVC double glazed, Italian tiles, natural timber flooring all throughout, all Miele appliances, terracotta tiles, etc. to name a few). Unless something dramatically changed in last 12 months, you are not approaching the right builders.
ligongl may I ask your builder’s name
http://www.njrhomes.com.au
ligongl

Thanks liqong. May I ask which timber did you choose for your build. I’m tossing up between a) Australian select timber grand oak noble collection and b)preference flooring prestige oak. Both are engineered timber. I did a google search and unable to locate any useful reviews. Do you have any advice?
we have Spotted Gum bushed matt finish! we love it! Premium end oak is trendy and will go nicely with some black themes. You may also want to consider Blackbutt if you like Australian timber with a lighter tone. Mind you natural timber will darken over time, so Blackbutt will age nicely, if you like retain pale tones, whereas Spotted Gum a be a bit darker with more red-tints over time. Any timber you choose, I highly recommend go with brushed matt finish, they look heavenly - feels so natural, you would want to walk bare foot or lay down the moment you step in
- also the the matt finish will hide a lot of micro scratches.
Thanks a lot. I love blackbutt but it is a bit dark for my Hampton style house. great advice on brushed Matt finish!
realjian
I’m building a custom home in Canberra with a reputable local builder ( Denman Prospect). Does your 260ms include grange balcony etc. My house is around mid-2000/Sqm with mid-high finishes. This calculation includes garage. For details please check my Instagram (link below)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL37-8CBAyM ... gfgmdyiz3i

I have consulted with the builder you're using and they've said that it's difficult to do a build for $3000/sqm. I'm surprised you're getting mid $2000/sqm.
ligongl

Hi ligongl,

how is your experience with NJR homes? did you have your own plans and have them quoted
Thank you
carlo321, NJR delivered a high quality finish, very happy with our house having lived almost two years now. We had our own plans (http://solarcert.com.au/) then shopped around.
[quote="ligongl"]carlo321, NJR delivered a high quality finish, very happy with our house having lived almost two years now. We had our own plans (http://solarcert.com.au/) then shopped around.[/quot

Thank you for your reply. May I know if how much did it cost you to build your house? how many total sqm? two storey?

I am building a two storey house 280 total, I am waiting the builders to quote it. Hopefully we can afford it, out budget is between 550-600k
antler

Is the 260sqm including garage, alfresco & porch?
If yes, $3000 should get you pretty decent custom builders like Elliot Hardie.

Have you found a builder yet?
Related
6/07/2023
Renovation on a budget

Renovation + Home Improvement

Coming back to your old stomping grounds, huh? Renovations on a budget can be quite the journey. It's like giving your house a new lease on life. The twist of not knowing…

27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum