Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Estimate Costs - Knockdown and Rebuild

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We are onto KDR in Victoria and in the process of collecting contracts from various builders. We have been given below items estimated in bulk, but would really like to know how much on average individual item costs.

Hey Kotex Welcome to the forum
If you are on a Fixed Price or Lump Sum Contract then the Builders service providers, trade and suppliers will not give you that information.
Try an alternate contract form such as Cost plus, etc. then get 3 Builders to quote competitively, make sure you have complete control of all the Drawings, Engineering, Species, etc
OT, You can give the builders access to your on line service providers portals for pricing
Cheers
Chris
Thanks for that reply.

Our situation is we are going with a volume builder and got the site cost estimated - it is very much higher than the original estimate.

If i get to know the above itemize costs, I will be in a more comfort to negotiate a bit with the builder. All above items are very much standard stuff, I believe someone must have got some sense on cost associated to that at least after the work finished and invoiced.
Items are lumped together so owners can't scrutinise individual costs, so there is no negotiating. LOL, if you get them to knock off a bit here.. then they'll add it elsewhere, eg siteworks, engineering, variations.
After contracts are signed and before the Builder starts on site, your whole build is repriced using forecast price increases, trade rates and availability... the builder will come back to you for those price increases in one form or another.
basically you pay the variation increase or cancel before they start on site...BTW, most battlers just pay up

OT, With Cost Plus contracts all costs are disclosed if you are unhappy with a builders quote you can go get your own, then pay the builders margin, etc. Cost plus works extremely well for all parties when using 3D Bim.
Cheers
Chris
Thanks again - ok, disappointing process.

Do you know major volume builders like to go with Cost plus contracts ?
The process is what it is ....everything in the quote and contract favours the builder
Who owns copyright of the drawings?
If they are yours you can select any builder to quote, if they belong to the builder then all bets are off others quoting
A word of caution on cost plus, you will require very good documents ( your own), ie, drawings engineering, specis, data, costs. and site supervision to keep on top.

Volume builders haven't changed with the times they tend to keep everything to the bar minimum in costs and wages that's how they roll.
OT, The salesman would be the first and highest paid person in the building company... they bring in the DEALS... They are also allowed to make mistakes on the designs and quotes.
Apologies I digress,
Contact the service providers in your state for Water, Electricity , Council , etc. via their builders/ guest net, pay the fees and if you send in your plans they will firm up all the above.
Cheers
Chris
Thank you..all make sense
Related
10/01/2024
To Knockdown and Rebuild or Renovate?

General Discussion

if the original house is in good condition most of what you listed could be added in stages without the need for KDR and costs and disruption of having to live elsewhere…

2/06/2024
Costs of knock down rebuild in Melbourne 2024

Building A New House

I'm on that journey. I had to demolish a single story brick veneer on concrete raft slab about 220 sq meters for about $19k. They took forever to get a permit and I…

18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum