Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First timer...

Page 1 of 1
Hello
We are looking into building our next house instead of buying established. I have been doing some research, and yesterday we went looking at some display homes.

We have some blocks in mind, and it just so happened that the person we spoke to yesterday was selling off packages (some blocks are freehold being sold by a real estate agent, and some are a package by a builder) at the same development.

We were quite dejected when we left, the guy pretty much told us we couldn't afford what we wanted, and tried to push us to buy a different, smaller block - one which had a restriction on building on a certain part of the block, losing a lot of space. We need a block to fit a traditional house with extra access for a caravan, which this block wouldn't allow. We never even told him what our budget was.

The blocks we were eying off were split level, he estimated it would cost about 400k for the house including the upgrades and driveway. The house is pretty big, about 282m2. We are in Adelaide.

The thing is, we don't want too many upgrades. We wanted to focus on getting the layout and the walls right, and we are intending on contracting our own flooring, driveway and kitchen (We have friends who do these), and my husband is an electrician so we will just have standard lighting etc. and my husband will do the LEDs and any extra power points we want. We were going to get standard fittings (taps etc) and upgrade them ourselves.

I don't really know what I'm asking...I guess I'm having a bit of a vent. Our budget is about 690k all up at this stage, but we should be able to push it out a bit as my parents have offered us to live with them while we build, once we sell our place. Land price is aboit 318 - 325k.

Is this really out of reach for us?? Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly welcomed and appreciated!
Do your sums, do your research and have a good read on these forums. There are lots of examples of what people have built and what it cost them. With all that you should get a feel for what you can afford. The original sales guy you talked to is sadly common in the trade but go to a fair few display homes and talk to the reps. Once you have a few floorpans to look at and what changes you may want to make, then you will have a clearer picture of which way to go.

Stewie
Just wondering, if your husband is an electrician, can he organise the electrical part of the house?

Maybe certain builders allow and certain builders won't allow.

One electrician I spoke to build his own house and his builder allowed him to do. But of course this is not in Adelaide.
Hi,
We are in Adelaide too - I don't think its impossible but you need to do a lot of research - go to a few builders and see what sort of prices they are offering- its a good plan to get the bones right and upgrade interiors when you can. With split level building - site costs may be slightly more - and there may also be retaining and stormwater management costs.
Don't be disheartened get some more quotes - also consider if you need a house the size you are building - would 220-240 sqm do the job (which would save a good 40K at least) and thats still a great sized house.
wadjai who did you end up going with?
peterpeter
@wadjai who did you end up going with?

they made 1 post two years ago and never came back. dont hold your breath for a response lol
hahah right
Related
16/05/2024
Screed First Timer

General Discussion

Keen for an update. How did you get on with your 2nd balcony?

12/05/2024
First Avenue Homes Experience

General Discussion

So it seems like they just take on a lot of projects to get the cashflow for their own builds. COULDN'T AGREE MORE

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum