Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Knockdown Rebuild | Clarendon QLD | Modified Madison City 40

Page 1 of 2
As I have been using other's builds for inspiration I thought it only fair I reveal our final product going to site this week!

This is something we have considered for years and basically having the worst house in the street it made sense to do a complete knock down and rebuild of our 1950's cottage.

The site has character overlays hence we had to (and would have in any case) go for a Hamptons facade being in inner city Brisbane.

We also had some specific needs as we both work from home (even before Covid) and wanted to make sure my wife has a specific space to bring clients into the office. I just needed a non-client facing office so we built that space behind that front office. Clarendon captured it as guest space however it is a front and back office with a Utility space (shown as a WIR).

We originally were going to go with the more traditional Master Ensuite, Main Bathroom, WC and ground floor Powder Room, however after just a few display home inspections my wife and our "pre-teen" kids decided to get carried away and we now have a 4 bedroom 5 bathroom house.

My original target was a 415-420sqm house and we achieved that at 418.9sqm!

During colour selection we had to pull back a little due to budget but we managed to get in our desired Hamptons staircase and shaker cabinetry (at least in the Kitchen and Butlers).

Anyway, the plans and facade is shown below and we shall hopefully see some progress photos over the coming weeks.

I hope I can also provide some inspiration like others have for me!

Wow, that looks fantastic! I love that everyone gets their very own bathroom! Makes mine look like a shack 🤣
I like the office with its own entrance. We thought about doing this for my teaching studio but decided against having another door right next to the front door. My students will just come in and go through the first door to my studio.
Also love the balcony. I wish we had gotten one but couldn’t justify the price for how much we would potentially use it...and my fear of heights!
Funkynoodles
Wow, that looks fantastic! I love that everyone gets their very own bathroom! Makes mine look like a shack 🤣
I like the office with its own entrance. We thought about doing this for my teaching studio but decided against having another door right next to the front door. My students will just come in and go through the first door to my studio.
Also love the balcony. I wish we had gotten one but couldn’t justify the price for how much we would potentially use it...and my fear of heights!

Ha ha, 5 bathrooms is a little over the top but I am not going to argue 😄. I guess it didn’t add as much extra cost as it may sound like initially.
One of our criteria was to have that second entrance for the office and the Madison City facade pretty much worked off the shelf.
With the balcony, it ideally would have come off the leisure room however as you probably know, fix one thing with a move and create a whole new range of design issues 🙄. Even if I went with a full custom builder I wouldn’t have changed the design dramatically in any case.

Finally starting to see progress!
Exciting!
The slab is finally happening!

And slab is done!

Framing is underway!
Onwards and upwards! I can now start to see the outline of how the building will look on the site. Happy with the posts/pillars which will eventually be white and have rendered collars on the lower level and linea board on the upper level.

Facia and guttering installed on the upper level today!

On goes the roof today!

Looking good! What was the overall build cost?
Around $580K with a reasonably high level of fitout. Does not include driveway, landscaping, external floor tiling. However I could have easily spent more on fitout.
Hi DanC,

Could I please know which suburb in Brisbane are you building the knock-down rebuild ?
Brisbane East
Another day and we now have the lower roof trusses done and gutter/facia. I did consider a number of times placing a gable over the entrance but ended up keeping as per the builder's original design. Lower roof to be done next week hopefully.
Looks great! This stage goes so quickly.
We now have some windows and Hebel along with rough in for power, plumbing and AC. We have questioned the upper facade window as it is not exactly as per plan.
Looks great! What is the issue with the window?
Funkynoodles
Looks great! What is the issue with the window?

The plans say it has 3 panes (1 fixed, 2 awning) all of the same size to align with the slider below. It got installed with different sized panes. Not a biggie but that is what we wanted/expected.
Related
10/01/2024
To Knockdown and Rebuild or Renovate?

General Discussion

if the original house is in good condition most of what you listed could be added in stages without the need for KDR and costs and disruption of having to live elsewhere…

20/04/2024
Gas Abolishment - Brisbane city council

General Discussion

Thanks for your advice, I will reach out to ombudsman

18/01/2024
Cost of building 3 x Townhouses after knockdown

General Discussion

multiple occ properties are always billed by trades at a premium, rarely per sqm for the lot. You either have trades you know whoe will do by sqm or youre going to get…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum