Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Site Cos Provisional or Fixed

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

I am into a conflict with builder regarding Site Cost. During sales paper work, I was told that the site cost has to be increased by 10K as the site requires piering and steel bars. I did this to avoid unexpected cost arising during build phase.
However, during construction, Slab plans showed that only steel bars are required. No piering is required and not done.
Now, I asked the builder to provide of where the difference was spent and I was refused.
My contract says "Provide all site related works....". It does not says the word Fixed. Does, it make it provisional? What are the options I have as I am aware that I have been mislead into high cost.
Thanks
Pd
You have been conned. It does not matter what you discussed beforehand, all it matters is what you signed off on. Unless the extra 10 K is clearly marked as provisional you have done your money.

Even if you were to mount recovery, your legal costs will exceed 10K so it's not worth it

This is why I always recommend pre contract review in the hope of picking up items like that.
Could you advise the legal basis on which I can raise a complaint? I only have text message in which confirmation was given and standard HIA contract.
However, the site cost does not mention the word "Fixed". Builder is confused and trying to make it Fixed.
Do you think I can mention No Waiver clause, incorrect information provided?
I can’t give legal advice
How does the 10k appear on the contract ? Is it a separate line with description of what is to be provided ? If it's just "site cost" - X amount where X was increase by 10k during sales negotiations then you are stuffed.
Thanks for the response. This was a single line as a site cost of $19K and done during sales negotiation
Related
13/05/2024
Builder demanding 15% variation amount as provisional Sum.

Building A New House

Sorry to hear. All the advice you are going to get on this one comes down to what your contract says and what variations are allowed and the mechanism for them. For…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

26/03/2024
Variations on Fixed Price Contract

Building A New House

So AFAIk the outcomes of the BAL ratings form part of a clause that allows them to pass these costs on to you. However the more relevant detail is how did it go from 19…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum