Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Retaining Wall Bolted to The Wall of the House

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

If someone could please guide me how should I tackle this.. There is requirement to build a retaining wall around 1 meter high starting from the wall outside of garage.. and the contractor whom I have hired has advised me that he will bolt the C beam to the wall and put the sleepers in.. The total length of the wall will be around 7 meters.

As per my understanding it is technically not a good solution as the retaining wall will put its weight on the house wall and not on the base ( which should be around 1 meter deep ) .

The reason which my contractor is citing that he does not want to touch/ dig any portion next to slab as it may damage it... and also I think with stormwater pipes already in, he may be trying to avoid extra bit of work...

Any suggestions how this should be tackled as personally I want him to dig a hole ( 1 meter deep ) in ground next/ near to slab, pour concrete in and then put beam into it for sleepers to slide into it.

Thanks
Hi has this wall been approved under DA or a cdc?
As with any wall over 600mm it would require on of these options usually at 1m high you would need an engineer to sign off on the wall and the footings , he would for sure want a hole dug the same depth as the height of the wall and not attach to the house.
Usually walls are meant to be 1m off the boundary Aswell . I would check this first as looks like a new home build and in order to get your final occupancy certificate you would need all retaining walls built and signed off by an engineer
Happy to discuss more if you find out those detials
Hi has this wall been approved under DA or a cdc?
As with any wall over 600mm it would require on of these options usually at 1m high you would need an engineer to sign off on the wall and the footings , he would for sure want a hole dug the same depth as the height of the wall and not attach to the house.
Usually walls are meant to be 1m off the boundary Aswell . I would check this first as looks like a new home build and in order to get your final occupancy certificate you would need all retaining walls built and signed off by an engineer
Happy to discuss more if you find out those detials
Related
20/02/2024
Under house retaining wall

General Discussion

Yeah my reasoning is just that those house posts are designed for vertical load not lateral. I just didnt want to risk interfering with the existing house…

7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

7/07/2023
Retaining wall questions

Landscape & Garden Design

Not sure what council area you are in. Some LGA's allow zero lot retaining walls. This usually occurs in greenfield developments but not often in established areas. You…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum