Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floor plan feedback

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, first time post but have been reading the forums fora number of years and always ound the feedback by many to be very constructive. My wife and I are building a little down sizer 3x2 and were wanting any feedback tips or changes to our little floor plan. House is to be built in the Perth Hills. Thankyou in advance.

Richard
[quote="xr8atd1":6ik9vwyc][img:6ik9vwyc]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/83985_1598949848.jpeg[/img:6ik9vwyc][/quote:6ik9vwyc]

I would not switch your en-suite toilet and shower as you appear to have indicated in your floorplan.
Our en-suite has the same layout and works perfectly. We have full height nib walls at either end of the vanity, both are tiled,it gives a slight separation to each of those functional spaces.

The window next to the toilet also means you have unimpeded light coming into the room and can be opened when needed (eg after other half has paid it a visit!)

IMO your dining space is too narrow, esp when you need to allow at least 900mm on the left side as a thoroughfare from the front to rear of the house. That does not leave you much room for a table and chairs, you will be right next to the island bench. Suggest you push out the wall of glass window/sliding doors 500mm into the alfresco area to allow more space in the dining and living rooms.

Also consider adding a door from living room to the bedrooms, opening from the hallway into the living area back to the linen cupboard. It will help reduce sound going to those bedrooms when people are trying to sleep. Might also help heating loss.

Your design flows well, good luck with your planning.
I would extend your scullery to include the scullery and laundry and that way the room marked "Bedroom 4" could be a lot larger.
Bebbsy
\"xr8atd1":6ik9vwyc
[img:6ik9vwyc]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/83985_1598949848.jpeg[/img:6ik9vwyc][/quote:6ik9vwyc]

I would not switch your en-suite toilet and shower as you appear to have indicated in your floorplan.
Our en-suite has the same layout and works perfectly. We have full height nib walls at either end of the vanity, both are tiled,it gives a slight separation to each of those functional spaces.

The window next to the toilet also means you have unimpeded light coming into the room and can be opened when needed (eg after other half has paid it a visit!)

IMO your dining space is too narrow, esp when you need to allow at least 900mm on the left side as a thoroughfare from the front to rear of the house. That does not leave you much room for a table and chairs, you will be right next to the island bench. Suggest you push out the wall of glass window/sliding doors 500mm into the alfresco area to allow more space in the dining and living rooms.

Also consider adding a door from living room to the bedrooms, opening from the hallway into the living area back to the linen cupboard. It will help reduce sound going to those bedrooms when people are trying to sleep. Might also help heating loss.

Your design flows well, good luck with your planning.

Thankyou Bebbsy for taking the time to review our floor plan, these are great considerations will definitely reconsider the shower position and extra space in dining zone.

Regards Richard
bestspecials
I would extend your scullery to include the scullery and laundry and that way the room marked "Bedroom 4" could be a lot larger.

Hi bestspecials thanks for taking the time to review. Interestingly enough my wife had suggested exactly the same about combining the scullery and laundry right at the begining of our new bulid plan and we have kind of over looked it and forgotten about that space thankyou so much for the reminder, will make the neccessary changes.

Regards Richard
xr8atd1
Hi all, first time post but have been reading the forums fora number of years and always ound the feedback by many to be very constructive. My wife and I are building a little down sizer 3x2 and were wanting any feedback tips or changes to our little floor plan. House is to be built in the Perth Hills. Thankyou in advance.

Richard

i have to assume that beds 3 and 4 are incorrectly labelled but with the laundry in the scullery you could have the drying yard in the south court and reduce the eastern setback to allow a much more spacious arrangement for beds 2 and 3 and the bathrooms..my suggestions also includes reducing the width of the entry hallway (still plenty of space for a bookshelves and a wall of photos or art) and made the master suite more spacious
If you want to use some 'passive' design, you've got great potential to capture the northern light by letting the winter sun into the living/dining area. Watch out for a hot master bedroom on the west there... make sure that western wall is shaded and well insulated otherwise will be very warm when you go to bed in the summer.
Hi Richard,

If you're building in Kalamunda, I feel we may be building in the same area. Your block size/ plans make me think we may be neighbours. Are you building in a strata by any chance?

Good luck with your build!
oklouise
xr8atd1

Richard

i have to assume that beds 3 and 4 are incorrectly labelled but with the laundry in the scullery you could have the drying yard in the south court and reduce the eastern setback to allow a much more spacious arrangement for beds 2 and 3 and the bathrooms..my suggestions also includes reducing the width of the entry hallway (still plenty of space for a bookshelves and a wall of photos or art) and made the master suite more spacious

Thankyou so much "oklouise" for taking the time and sharing your ideas which by the way both my wife and I love. The extra space in the bedrooms, the small storage nooks and the eastern setback just makes sense with the relocation of the laundry.We were also thinking of adding doors to enclose the living and kitchen area to efficiently control temperatures but we were always in two minds as we thought by having the doors we may lose the feel of the open plan space.Your time and ideas are truely appriciated, so kind.... Richard
kelsey
Hi Richard,

If you're building in Kalamunda, I feel we may be building in the same area. Your block size/ plans make me think we may be neighbours. Are you building in a strata by any chance?

Good luck with your build!

Hi Kelsey, yes we are building in Kalamunda but not in a strata, and thanks yes we may need luck with the current building frenzy that is being experienced. We are not in a hurry to build and will probably wait out the price gouging that is being experiened. By the way good luck also with your build and hope there are minimal delays for you, during your exciting bulid journey.

Regards Richard
BrownHouse
If you want to use some 'passive' design, you've got great potential to capture the northern light by letting the winter sun into the living/dining area. Watch out for a hot master bedroom on the west there... make sure that western wall is shaded and well insulated otherwise will be very warm when you go to bed in the summer.

Hi, Brownhouse, thanks for the input and yes we are hoping to take as much advantage of the winter sun by having floor to ceiling glass doors for living / kitchen area and as you suggested providing shade and extra insulation properties to west wall is a priority.

Regards
Richard
xr8atd1
BrownHouse

Hi, Brownhouse, thanks for the input and yes we are hoping to take as much advantage of the winter sun by having floor to ceiling glass doors for living / kitchen area and as you suggested providing shade and extra insulation properties to west wall is a priority.

Regards
Richard

I would still be careful with floor to ceiling glazing at the north as while allowing winter sun you would also need to make sure those areas are also well sheltered from high summer sun.
alexp79
xr8atd1
BrownHouse

Regards
Richard

I would still be careful with floor to ceiling glazing at the north as while allowing winter sun you would also need to make sure those areas are also well sheltered from high summer sun.

Yes, make sure there is still an eave as you want 100% shade in the summer months. If you can afford it - and I hope this is something that we can too - is one of those adjustable louvred pergolas over your patio area so you can adjust the shade. A cheaper option is one with fixed louvres set at an angle to allow no sun in summer but let it all in during winter.
Thankyou alexp79 yes hopefully the architects suggested eave overhang lengths mitigates the summer sun's overhead travel path.

Regards
Richard
xr8atd1
Thankyou alexp79 yes hopefully the architects suggested eave overhang lengths mitigates the summer sun's overhead travel path.

Regards
Richard

Yes, but keep in mind that for floor to ceiling door there should be quite significant overhang.
xr8atd1
oklouise
xr8atd1

Richard

Thankyou so much "oklouise" for taking the time and sharing your ideas which by the way both my wife and I love. The extra space in the bedrooms, the small storage nooks and the eastern setback just makes sense with the relocation of the laundry.We were also thinking of adding doors to enclose the living and kitchen area to efficiently control temperatures but we were always in two minds as we thought by having the doors we may lose the feel of the open plan space.Your time and ideas are truely appriciated, so kind.... Richard

it was my pleasure..it's so good to see a plan that will be ideal for downsizing: love the courtyard spaces, it will be a lovely new home...happy building
Related
7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum