Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a Waldorf or Marriot by Porter Davis

Page 49 of 419
Back Pocket, the way you have had the flooring done looks great! I am so happy I decided to browse this thread (despite building a PD house half the size of the Waldorf
), because I really like some of the timbertop options but really didn't think the scotia would look nice. I think they should paint it in the displays like you have done, so many people would probably go with their flooring!

Can I ask how much it cost to upgrade the skirting to that style? You mentioned the extra cost to have the scotia painted, did you just have that put into the contract? Thanks!

Also, do you have carpeted rooms, and if so I guess you just left off the scotia in those rooms
Hi meowsy

PD only put in the bigger skirting boards i think this was $1500. we got the timber and carpet from carpet court. Carpet court organised the scotia to be painted for us and we installed the timber and then the painted scotia ourselves. Carpet court got the scotia painted in the same colour as our skirting boards painted by PD.
We just left the rooms with carpet as they were.
Hope this helps
Back Pocket, ah I see.
I guess even if we had floors done by PD, we could just paint the scotia ourselves, or pay someone to do it, still achieving the look that you have there.
tstr1a
I still need to do a full post with detailed pictures of the entire back yard and I will do so shortly. These pic are crappy iPhone pics and I'll do a full upload hopefully next week.

Below is a picture of the Bali hut I built. I still need to make the handrails and fit off the deck with merbau and LED lights.

looks absolutely STUNNING! Love the colours
ftdt7882
jnkbids
Met my SS onsite today to discuss some outstanding items... The tilers have made good progress in the wet areas... updated the blog to show the tiles.

Just poking my head in here

Love your blog, jnkbids! Your colour selections are lovely. Can I ask what tiles you have on the walls in your guest ensuite and powder room?

thanks ftdt7882 ... hope all is well with yours...

Hmm.. good question... they are called Stratos Limestone Polished 300x600mm. The code i have on my selection list is MAXFL1045. I have the 600x600 version on the floor.
Lyndielouie
jnkbids
Well nothing much exciting happening on the house other than the plaster people fixing the walls and getting ready for the painting.

Some tradesperson with really itchy fingers cut away all the cable for my video intercom and chime from the front door... which is REALLY frustrating... a large spool was left to allow the intercom to be wired to my front gate... GRRRR... can't they just read plans?!

If you are living in the SE suburbs it is likely that is not a tradie but a sick individual who gets their kicks out of cutting cables for houses being build. We had this happen a number of times and talking to other tradies and other building companies in our area it is happening a lot. Hopefully this nut job will get caught soon.

Sigh.. the psycho came back to cut my power cables before they could be wired to the switchboard which is now a massive headache... I hope they catch him and do something to him to make sure he regrets what he has done and never does it again

On another frustrating note... the WRONG balustrade was installed onto my balcony today.... sigh... more mistakes... maybe the balustrade can be used to beat this vandal over the head!!
does anyone know the Building standards re: Connecting the waste drain from a sink to the actual drain-pipe? Is there a limit as to how far away the drain-pipe can be? Somehow my sink is about 2 cabinets away from the drain-pipe which means the plumber is going to hack through THREE cabinets just to get to the pipe .. that means all 3 cabinets are practically useless
((
jnkbids
ftdt7882
jnkbids
Met my SS onsite today to discuss some outstanding items... The tilers have made good progress in the wet areas... updated the blog to show the tiles.

Just poking my head in here

Love your blog, jnkbids! Your colour selections are lovely. Can I ask what tiles you have on the walls in your guest ensuite and powder room?

thanks ftdt7882 ... hope all is well with yours...

Hmm.. good question... they are called Stratos Limestone Polished 300x600mm. The code i have on my selection list is MAXFL1045. I have the 600x600 version on the floor.

I've just followed your blog

I thought they looked similar to mine, that's because they're the same!
Great choice!!!!
ftdt7882

Great choice!!!!

LOL! shall we say great minds think alike?
jnkbids
does anyone know the Building standards re: Connecting the waste drain from a sink to the actual drain-pipe? Is there a limit as to how far away the drain-pipe can be? Somehow my sink is about 2 cabinets away from the drain-pipe which means the plumber is going to hack through THREE cabinets just to get to the pipe .. that means all 3 cabinets are practically useless
((

what they should do is cut into the slab and run the pipes underneath the cabinets.
jnkbids
ftdt7882

Great choice!!!!

LOL! shall we say great minds think alike?

Yep!
For those who are interested (and have Sims 3), I've created a Waldorf 44 model with the Chadswick facade.

http://launcherapi.thesims3.com/assetDe ... Id=7262957

I hope it will help with choosing colours, flooring and carpeting.

It's not perfect, I've only spent an afternoon on it.
tstr1a

what they should do is cut into the slab and run the pipes underneath the cabinets.

the mistake was noted in FEB and nothing was done...

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jnkbids/IMG_2365_zps84860156.jpg

Cabinet installers just installed the cabinet and now I have a sink that doesn't line up at all!

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jnkbids/IMG_3234_zpsfd00322d.jpg

Trying to run pipes across the cabinets would just render the entire cabinet useless.. I AM SOOOOOO NOT HAPPY AT ALL!
jnkbids
((

Hi jnkbids,
I have raised your concerns about this matter with the Regional Business Manager. Someone will be back in touch with you shortly.
Regards, Helen
Team PD
jnkbids
((

Hi jnkbids,
I have raised your concerns about this matter with the Regional Business Manager. Someone will be back in touch with you shortly.
Regards, Helen

Thanks Helen. I hope everything will be rectified soon
Back Pocket & meowsy I remember asking for skirting upgrade options at colour selections, but they said there were no upgrade options, only the 67mm skirtings in different profiles. So I chose the 67mm colonial profile (which looks the same as your regency profile). After the floorboards are in, there's 57mm of skirting showing, and then with the scotia in, there's maybe about 50mm of skirting showing above the scotia. Meowsy, with these sort of dimensions it doesn't have quite the impact as Back Pocket's skirting. The display homes show the result and it looks too short and not the look I'm going for even if scotia was painted. Only suggestion I have is to ask again for higher skirting upgrades at colour selection OR redo the skirting yourself after handover. If you can get higher skirtings then the painted scotia looks fantastic. If you have to redo the skirting after handover, then it's more costly, but at least you can choose whatever profile and material you want - PD skirtings are MDF if that helps.
BellaButterfly
Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to the forums and although I have been reading avidly for the past few weeks this is my first post.

After much deliberation and searching for a pre-existing home my partner and I realized that considering the price of existing homes being almost comparable to a new build plus the fact that no home we looked at was without fault and would cost extra to become our dream home we decided to build.

I fell onto the Waldorf by accident. A work mate of mine is building with Porter Davis in point Cook and had nothing but great things to say about them and when I accompanied her to the display home so she could show me her house in the flesh I wandered into the Waldorf and I was blown away.

Long story short after dragging my partner to the Greenvale, Point Cook and Williams landing display last Saturday and this past Tuesday meeting with a lovely Sales agent and having a walk through I can't imagine finding a better home for myself and future family.

My dilemma is however is that I am very anal and picky and In some cases I can border on downright unreasonable. I would like to know what things other people put their foots down on and said I want this and not that and it is non negotiable. Right now my major concern is flooring ( which I learned here on homeone can be done post handover) and the kitchen which is a huge deal breaker. I am from New York and I grew up around a lot of old houses and I have always loved old style wooden kitchens with huge carved islands , whites, dark wood and molding. The sales agent insists that PD have similar styles but everything that I have seen so far is very modern. My partner is of two minds and is between "putting the cheapest kitchen they have in and tearing it out later "
or " Just go with a custom builder"
. Option one seems wasteful and two even more so considering I have found the almost perfect home.

Other things I dislike but are not deal breakers are the cupboards used in the bathroom areas. No offense to anyone who has them they are beautiful in the right home but they are just so square and shiny. I much prefer old looking things with curves and moldings. I hope they can change those or just leave them out. And the rest of the stuff is things I know that I can change or delete thanks to home one.

What should I do about the kitchen? Option 3 is to find something ok and suck it up.

Kind Regards
Bella

Hi Bella! I very much understand what you're looking for. Btw I love New York! If I lived there I would never move lol.

In terms of kitchen and bathroom cabinets, there's actually quite a lot more selections than the modern sleek styles you see in display homes. The Waldorf in Berwick would have probably been closer to your liking - but that display's closed now I think.

You can specify different moulding profiles to your cabinet doors - there's a laminex brochure showing the different mouldings depending on whether you get colortech (2 pac) or vinyl wrap, ask for it at Hopetoun.
You can have wood looking veneers applied to your cabinet surface, they have some on display at Hopetoun and you can ask to see the sample sheets showing different colours.
You may like granite/marble countertops rather than the caesarstone if you like the look of grains running through your stone bench top. They are hideously expensive but better value than ripping out your kitchen.
You *cannot* have carvings or moulded columns or anything "outside the profile of the cabinet surface" though. But I wonder if you can just retro-fit certain carvings to your kitchen afterwards.
Another big point is the hardware. They only have the laminex handle range, none of which would likely fit your aesthetics. But it's quite simple to install your own handles if you wish and just ask them to leave it off.

I think there shouldn't be a problem to replicate the sort of joinery you see in the hamptons mansions - mouldings and detail but in a laid-back simple country/provincial style. Thick, grained, stone benchtops. Panelling. Rustic hardware. But if you're looking for more intricate carvings and curves and things like that, then at least in my knowledge I don't think PD can build that.

Good luck. The Waldorf has the perfect floor plan.
teinna, thank you for the info there. I went back to have a look at the flooring and saw that it indeed wouldn't look as nice as back pocket's. I think this is partly due to size and shape of quad used. I have come to a happy medium with being allowed to install trim of my choice after handover. UTF uses 18mm tri quad only, I think even a smaller tri quad would look less intrusive and then we can paint is before it is installed.
[/quote] Best of luck with the process, the Waldorf is truly a remarkable house.
PD are accommodating to a certain extent but you need to keep in mind that they have contracts with existing businesses and sometime it's difficult to get highly customised changes. If you never ask you will never know.
Let us know you go.[/quote]

We shall see on Saturday when I meet with the sales agent again. I don't necessarily mind using their suppliers but some of the things scream display home. I have been going back and forth with the sales agent via email and so far she seems accommodating so hopefully she can squeeze in the kitchen of my dreams. If not a mate of mines has offered up her husband to " Martha Stewart" ( her exact words ) my kitchen my adding in as much decorative molding and paneling and I can fit in. She showed me what he did to her mother in laws kitchen and I must admit a lick of paint and heaps of molding changed that kitchen from 70's fab to amazing.
[/quote]

Hi Bella! I very much understand what you're looking for. Btw I love New York! If I lived there I would never move lol.

In terms of kitchen and bathroom cabinets, there's actually quite a lot more selections than the modern sleek styles you see in display homes. The Waldorf in Berwick would have probably been closer to your liking - but that display's closed now I think.

You can specify different moulding profiles to your cabinet doors - there's a laminex brochure showing the different mouldings depending on whether you get colortech (2 pac) or vinyl wrap, ask for it at Hopetoun.
You can have wood looking veneers applied to your cabinet surface, they have some on display at Hopetoun and you can ask to see the sample sheets showing different colours.
You may like granite/marble countertops rather than the caesarstone if you like the look of grains running through your stone bench top. They are hideously expensive but better value than ripping out your kitchen.
You *cannot* have carvings or moulded columns or anything "outside the profile of the cabinet surface" though. But I wonder if you can just retro-fit certain carvings to your kitchen afterwards.
Another big point is the hardware. They only have the laminex handle range, none of which would likely fit your aesthetics. But it's quite simple to install your own handles if you wish and just ask them to leave it off.

I think there shouldn't be a problem to replicate the sort of joinery you see in the hamptons mansions - mouldings and detail but in a laid-back simple country/provincial style. Thick, grained, stone benchtops. Panelling. Rustic hardware. But if you're looking for more intricate carvings and curves and things like that, then at least in my knowledge I don't think PD can build that.

Good luck. The Waldorf has the perfect floor plan.[/quote]

After living in Australia going on now 3 years I can't imagine moving back lol

All jokes aside I was wondering if I could convince them to leave off the bloody doors for a " modern look" and add my own doors. There is this retrofitted Ikea kitchen I saw ages ago and if I ever figure out how to get pictures on here I will post one from Pinterest that looked amazing. I dont actually mind ceasar stone at all although Marble would appeal to the partner who is a chef. We have already gotten them to agree to knocking out the store room and building a professional grade kitchen for her behind the show kitchen. It will also come in handy for thanksgiving.

Don't get me started on the Hamptons when I told my sister how much it costs to build a house here she suggested I just come home and buy in the Hamptons lol If I could take my Australian wages home to the US I surely would buy in the Hamptons.. jk

I am giving serious thoughts about retrofitting heaps and heaps of molding. I already have plans to stack more molding around their boring ones and having architraves added around all the openings. And close up those pillar things that look like bespoke boxes..... And as for handles I've got that covered. My mother will be shipping me some from this place I know in New Jersey that deals is salvage once I know how many I need and sizes she will send me pictures of what is on offer.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum