Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

My Metricon Bordeaux 56 build

Page 46 of 51
vuster
Projector screen is in. Bring on GOT.

I think I just wet myself... Again.

Hi Vuster,

The projector and the mirror are looking stunning!!
We got back site costs for our sovereign 57 on our precontract with M and they have quoted $57 K, they apparently need to put the highest quality slab in for $31K.

Did you have similar amount for site costs since we were told initially they should be around 40 K.

Plus, another spanner in works is in our title states that we can have only brick house, so hebel out. To render a brick house fully is another $20k.

Not looking good budget wise for us

Cheers,
Sam
Your house just keeps getting better Vu!!! Love the mirror

SamKM
Hi Vuster,

We got back site costs for our sovereign 57 on our precontract with M and they have quoted $57 K, they apparently need to put the highest quality slab in for $31K.

Did you have similar amount for site costs since we were told initially they should be around 40 K.

Plus, another spanner in works is in our title states that we can have only brick house, so hebel out. To render a brick house fully is another $20k.

Cheers,
Sam

Thanks Sam,

That's good to hear that you are getting some progress with your build. 57K site cost doesn't seem that excessive. Mine was around 60K from memory and I don't think it was the highest grade slab either. My block is fairly flat. Pity about not being able to use hebel. I think hebel migh tbe a bit overrated. It's such a soft material and I'm not convinced it has offered much thermal qualities as marketed. My house gets cold fairly quickly after turning off the heater.
vuster
Thanks Sam,

That's good to hear that you are getting some progress with your build. 57K site cost doesn't seem that excessive. Mine was around 60K from memory and I don't think it was the highest grade slab either. My block is fairly flat. Pity about not being able to use hebel. I think hebel migh tbe a bit overrated. It's such a soft material and I'm not convinced it has offered much thermal qualities as marketed. My house gets cold fairly quickly after turning off the heater.

What was your soil grade and what did they end up choosing for the slab design?
Hi Kirashogun,

See below:

Site is classed as "P".

Landscaping update:

Back and side fences have been redone. Back fence=1.3K, side fence=3K.

Frame for my decking has been done. Those posts will be for my deck fence. Bluestone for back is also done. My landscaper did it all and I just have to screw in the marbeu myself.

I've had to change my front design as the council won't let me have anything over 1m since I'm on a corner block.
It'll look something like this:

I've been quoted 20K for it which excludes plants, render, and fence metal inserts.
vuster
Landscaping update:

Back and side fences have been redone. Back fence=1.3K, side fence=3K.

Frame for my decking has been done. Those posts will be for my deck fence. Bluestone for back is also done. My landscaper did it all and I just have to screw in the marbeu myself.

I've had to change my front design as the council won't let me have anything over 1m since I'm on a corner block.
It'll look something like this:

I've been quoted 20K for it which excludes plants, render, and fence metal inserts.

Does that include an electric gate Vu?

Nope, I'm going to leave the gate out since my driveway is going to be quite wide.
No gate at all??
Back yard coming along nicely!
Special_K
No gate at all??

Nope none in front of drive way. Probably just a pedestrian gate.
Looking great Vu!
vuster
SamKM
Hi Vuster,

Cheers,
Sam

Thanks Sam,

What happened to 6star energy rating? Did they ever fix your insulation?

Vuster,

Fencing and backyard coming along really nicely mate.

I am having doubts about the hebel as well to be honest. Oh well. Maybe in the next house I'll go back to brick.

My KDR Metricon Hampshire - Liberty - 45 Melb

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Maybe it's the high ceilings? Cos I have seen people who have had it and say it offers great insulation. And it stays warm.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
I don't think his problem is Hebel related.

Hebel itself never offered enough insulation (it is only R0.5) and always works in combination with a quality insulation.

The problem is most likely to be the very common one - poor airtightness due to poor insulation installation job (could be even partially seen on his insulation installation pics), not properly sealed doors and windows, etc.

Probably makes sense to hire a building inspector with thermal camera to investigate where the problem is.

On the other side, he has a lot of tiles on concrete slab - so thermal mass is there. It might only be taking some time to heat it up, which is always a problem with a lot of thermal mass, especially, if it is south facing.
Half my windows and doors needed servicing as they could either not be Opened or closed. Canterbury windows came yesterday and fixed all the downstairs ones. Still upstairs to be done. Even the sill for front entry door hasn't been done properly and there is a obvious gap underneath them.
I'm sure this would of contributed to the thermal issues.
The slab would rob the house of a lot of heat generated by the heater.
You have a massive concrete floor that is coupled to the outside environment/ground .
and it is a known fact that tiles are cooler than carpet or wood, so the over all effect would be a cooler home.
Couple that with windows that do not seal properly and you have issues.
Hopefully when summer comes along the cool slab will contribute to the cooling of the house.
Either way Vuster the house is looking amazing, love the fence with those nice square posts.
I was thinking colorbond in my build for the side, but I might change my mind.

P.S. did you put insulation between floors? What R value is your roof insulation?
vuster
SamKM
Hi Vuster,

Cheers,
Sam

Thanks Sam,

Thanks Vuster, thats reassuring that we not the only ones paying that amount for site costs 😊 Since we have no choice going for bricks full front render and to the sides at this stage. Hopefully that extra amt for bricks will turn out better than hebel πŸ˜€
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All πŸ™‚ We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum