Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 417 of 433
Drew01
shokel1975
Drew01
In our council if upstairs windows can see into private open space (back yards) then they have to be obscured irrespective of when the next door house is built

Ours says only if occ permit in place before our build permit issued. I think we have just missed out on avoiding it!
. Can it be removed easily?
Yeah, just peels off

Brilliant! That’s what will happen to ours! Thanks 😀
Unless it's in the glass like ours is.

blackcat20
Unless it's in the glass like ours is.

Oh, ok I will just have to wait and see then... Thanks
Hi, anyone has any idea where can I rent a skip bin? Thanks in advance!
Kimmykim

Google, when you search skip bin hire it will show results of such places.
gillybean
Kimmykim

gillybean
Kimmykim

Thanks!
Kimmykim
gillybean
Kimmykim

Thanks!

My pleasure 😇
Finally got my phone lead in and NBN switch box on the same day. After a lot of dramas, with the wrong technician coming first, the overhead telephone contracting company sent instead of underground etc. Yesterday the underground phone lead in contractor came and installed my phone line outside only from the pit through Ms conduit to the side of my meter box. Then the NBN person came and pushed the cable through that same conduit to the side of my wall. However on pushing that cable and phone line with the drawstring he found that the blank plate in the garage was 1 meter below the end of the conduit that ran against the garage wall. So advice for all before your plaster boards go up and if you have taken Nbn tske a picture of where the conduit ends till on the garage wall. As the electrician that put the plate just put it anywhere on the garage wall and he comes to fix his stuff after the walls are up so someone made a mistake in informing him the location of the blank plate that needed to be fixed!!! Anyway the NBN guy was super helpful and told hubby to get a 30 meter cat6 cable and he waited while he went to buy it and then pulled it through with some kind of wire roll weight. The alternative was cutting a hole through the wall where the conduit ended and place another plate there. Now have to wait for the modem tech and phone tech to come and do the actual connections inside to connect our phone and internet.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
excited_builders
Finally got my phone lead in and NBN switch box on the same day. After a lot of dramas, with the wrong technician coming first, the overhead telephone contracting company sent instead of underground etc. Yesterday the underground phone lead in contractor came and installed my phone line outside only from the pit through Ms conduit to the side of my meter box. Then the NBN person came and pushed the cable through that same conduit to the side of my wall. However on pushing that cable and phone line with the drawstring he found that the blank plate in the garage was 1 meter below the end of the conduit that ran against the garage wall. So advice for all before your plaster boards go up and if you have taken Nbn tske a picture of where the conduit ends till on the garage wall. As the electrician that put the plate just put it anywhere on the garage wall and he comes to fix his stuff after the walls are up so someone made a mistake in informing him the location of the blank plate that needed to be fixed!!! Anyway the NBN guy was super helpful and told hubby to get a 30 meter cat6 cable and he waited while he went to buy it and then pulled it through with some kind of wire roll weight. The alternative was cutting a hole through the wall where the conduit ended and place another plate there. Now have to wait for the modem tech and phone tech to come and do the actual connections inside to connect our phone and internet.

We will be going through all this soon. Can I ask who you contacted for each service ie, phone line etc or did your builder organise it for you? Cheers
Salfield
excited_builders

We will be going through all this soon. Can I ask who you contacted for each service ie, phone line etc or did your builder organise it for you? Cheers
We had to follow up on the gas since there was a delay. The builder already has the electricity in their name, we had to call a provider and get it transferred.
For phone and internet if yours is knock down rebuild I recommend calling your preferred provider as soon as possible to organize the lead in. It can take a long time to get this done otherwise

excited_builders
Salfield
excited_builders

We had to follow up on the gas since there was a delay. The builder already has the electricity in their name, we had to call a provider and get it transferred.
For phone and internet if yours is knock down rebuild I recommend calling your preferred provider as soon as possible to organize the lead in. It can take a long time to get this done otherwise

Thank you. Yes we are a KDR. The conduit is apparently included through Rawson. Ok, so Telstra don’t have to get involved as far as connecting the phone line?
I am soo over meticon !!! Their after build service Dept are absolutely hopeless!!! I moved into my house dec 2017 and I’m still waiting for fixes to be completed!!!!!! I still don’t have my foc .... not happy jan

NthHome
I am soo over meticon !!! Their after build service Dept are absolutely hopeless!!! I moved into my house dec 2017 and I’m still waiting for fixes to be completed!!!!!! I still don’t have my foc .... not happy jan

Get everything fixed during build peeps!

Special_K
NthHome

Agree, But in my experience Metricon will try very hard to avoid fixing any defects during the build period. Particularly major defects. They use all sorts of questionable tactics to achieve this, however their key ultimate tactic is the threat and tactical use of delays, sanctioned by the Metricon building contract that their customers sign. Metricon knows the rent, storage, interest etc... cost to you of any delay is going to be $250 or more for EVERY calendar day the project is delayed, but they have 'standard' liquidated damages amounts in their contract of only $30 per working day, less rain days! They say this is normal and fair! This $250 versus $30 disparity allows them to financially pressure you to accept defects, promising they will fix them later under warranty. A review of many blogs this website suggests they probably won't! I forced Metricon to do things properly during the build phase (before the fixing invoice actually) but this took an extra 12 months, lots of family stress, and cost us over $80,000 in extra rent, storage, interest, inspections and legal costs. My recommendation to anyone considering building with Metricon is to look very carefully at the liquidated damages clause in their HIA 'standard' building contract and consider its implications for you regarding the build timings, quality assurance and your finances. Other builders will negotiate much more reasonable liquidated damages clauses to secure your trust and business, particularly in the current slowing home building market
Norfolk
Special_K
NthHome

Agree, But in my experience Metricon will try very hard to avoid fixing any defects during the build period. Particularly major defects. They use all sorts of questionable tactics to achieve this, however their key ultimate tactic is the threat and tactical use of delays, sanctioned by the Metricon building contract that their customers sign. Metricon knows the rent, storage, interest etc... cost to you of any delay is going to be $250 or more for EVERY calendar day the project is delayed, but they have 'standard' liquidated damages amounts in their contract of only $30 per working day, less rain days! They say this is normal and fair! This $250 versus $30 disparity allows them to financially pressure you to accept defects, promising they will fix them later under warranty. A review of many blogs this website suggests they probably won't! I forced Metricon to do things properly during the build phase (before the fixing invoice actually) but this took an extra 12 months, lots of family stress, and cost us over $80,000 in extra rent, storage, interest, inspections and legal costs. My recommendation to anyone considering building with Metricon is to look very carefully at the liquidated damages clause in their HIA 'standard' building contract and consider its implications for you regarding the build timings, quality assurance and your finances. Other builders will negotiate much more reasonable liquidated damages clauses to secure your trust and business, particularly in the current slowing home building market

Could u give examples of what was not done properly?
Special_K
NthHome

Defects at my place, corrected during construction before fixing stage invoice issued. Slab not level, Bricks overhanging slab, Frame and plaster walls not straight 50% replaced, ceilings all wavy and replaced, 25% of brickwork defective and had to be re-done, All mortar re pointing, Bathroom waterproofing membranes had to be redone 5 times, 50% of windows damaged and replaced, kitchen window overhung by cupboards was redone, all kitchen cabinets redone, Metricon breached a NSW Department of Fair Trading order, Garage concrete floor cut back and re-done with new steel reinforcing, Air conditioning installation botched, non compliant box gutters replaced... there were about 150 additional defects and 'incomplete works' identified by myself, Houspect and NSWDFT. My recommendation is TAKE CARE! Based on my contact with other Metricon customers, and the reviews visible on social media, I understand the above are all common defects with Metricon's Homes! and an are an accepted feature of their Business Model and corporate DNA. Initially Metricon tried to tell us these defects were 'Normal' and 'Character' before moving to more questionable tactics to try to get us to accept them...
Ours is still being build but we experienced delays in important fixes. We have broken roof tiles above the garage, dining and alfresco areas. These were broken when their contractors were doing the walls on the second level in Nov last year. These have caused flooding into the ceiling everytime there is rain and until now these were not fixed yet. It has already destroyed the ceiling of the garage and the one in the dining have visible water marks. Some walls have moulds which they patched up but who knows what the condition of the walls are on the other side. The site supervisor said that the ceiling in the garage will be replaced who knows when as the roof needs to be done first. I actually don't think they care about the house nor their customers. The roof is one of the most important part that protects the house from any rain damage but going 4 months now and the roof is still not fixed. Here are some of the photos.

HardRock
Ours is still being build but we experienced delays in important fixes. We have broken roof tiles above the garage, dining and alfresco areas. These were broken when their contractors were doing the walls on the second level in Nov last year. These have caused flooding into the ceiling everytime there is rain and until now these were not fixed yet. It has already destroyed the ceiling of the garage and the one in the dining have visible water marks. Some walls have moulds which they patched up but who knows what the condition of the walls are on the other side. The site supervisor said that the ceiling in the garage will be replaced who knows when as the roof needs to be done first. I actually don't think they care about the house nor their customers. The roof is one of the most important part that protects the house from any rain damage but going 4 months now and the roof is still not fixed. Here are some of the photos.

Our Defects: Slab not level, Bricks overhanging slab, Frame and plaster walls not straight 50% replaced, ceilings all wavy and replaced, 25% of brickwork defective and had to be re-done, All mortar re pointing, Bathroom waterproofing membranes had to be redone 5 times, 50% of windows damaged and replaced, kitchen window overhung by cupboards was redone, all kitchen cabinets redone, Metricon breached a NSW Department of Fair Trading order, Garage concrete floor cut back and re-done with new steel reinforcing, Air conditioning installation botched, non compliant box gutters replaced... there were about 150 additional defects and 'incomplete works' identified by myself, Houspect and NSWDFT. My recommendation is TAKE CARE! Based on my contact with other Metricon customers, and the reviews visible on social media, I understand the above are all common defects with Metricon's Homes! and an are an accepted feature of their Business Model and corporate DNA. Initially Metricon tried to tell us these defects were 'Normal' and 'Character' before moving to more questionable tactics to try to get us to accept them...
HardRock

Just goes to show how stupid they must be. If I were a supervisor on your job I’d have had the roof repaired almost immediately, even if it meant I had to do it myself. Absolutely ridiculous they’d let it get to this point with visible mould and water marks. God sake this stuff makes my blood boil, I really feel for you. Best of luck.
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum