Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 416 of 862
So happy for u mummadj - enjoy your beautiful home
MummaDJ
Hi All, I thought the blog had been quiet for a while an obviously missed my email notification, you have all been super busy chatting away and I didn't realise!! I have been busy comparing phone companies, energy companies, TV Antennas, still blinds and still landscaping. Been packing boxes and tidying the rental house for inspections (future renters! - just what I needed). Feeling quite tense about tomorrow, don't know why! I have the cheque ready to go, been speaking with SS, majority of issues, just a couple of things that may carry over.
A little tip for others, when you have the time, start researching your energy companies, internet/phone providers etc etc. It is the owners responsibility to hook up the telephone line from the street to the house - I wasn't quite aware of that. Note though that you don't have to do this with Telstra if you don't want a plan with them. I spoke with Internode and they can hook it up (they just order a Telstra Tech person in). If you get Telstra to hook you up, then you have to go on one of their plans. Can take up to 10 business days for this to happen. So I still haven't done this one yet!

So BackPocket and everyone else - thanks for all the words of support - tomorrow is handover day!! Woo Hoo, I will have the keys by Midday! Tad excited. Will start moving stuff straight away. Have removal company booked in for Sunday for the big heavy things.

It actually all feels quite surreal.
I may be offline from next week sometime for a couple of weeks, but promise to update the blog and send photos. I know how much I love to see other peoples homes when they are finished.

We have been very happy along the journey, some stresses at different times, but I dare someone to tell me a time when their build has been perfect with no flaws or mishaps along the way.....

We have been lucky to have a great team in our BC and SS - a huge thanks to them. They know this as we have ensured that we have told them along the way when we are happy, they have also known if we haven't been. Remember out there, we are all quick to criticise when things go wrong, but if things are also going right - make sure you give the positive feedback, this is equally important for the PD staff to hear. (Can you tell I worked in Human Resources!)

Okay, I am procrastinating packing boxes and getting ready for handover inspection, so better get on to it.

good luck for tomorrow. Can imagine how excited you must be. Good to know most things will be sorted out for handover.
Good luck MummaDJ!!!

Our land has finally titles... Hopefully we can settle next Friday...

one step closer to start out build!
Hi Guys,

I just have question regarding commencement date. It says in the contract that PD must commence within 21 days after we provided all the documents. Ours is 9 days out. Is there any compensation we could get from this?
bLeb
Hi Guys,

I just have question regarding commencement date. It says in the contract that PD must commence within 21 days after we provided all the documents. Ours is 9 days out. Is there any compensation we could get from this?

From my reading of the HIA contract:

1) The 21 days is from when you have provided all documentation, all necessary planning and building approvals have been granted and the deposit has been paid.
2) Furthermore, a delay to the commencement date is allowed if there has been any variation requested by the owner, inclement weather, disputes with neighbouring properties or civil/industrial action.

Seems like there would be quite a few 'loopholes' for PD to exercise if they wanted to justify the late start
bLeb
Hi Guys,

Not sure if you have house and land contract, which maybe different? The standard PD contract when they build on your land, says the commencement date is site scrape. This is the specific piece that they insert into the contract.
Serenity_Now
From my reading of the HIA contract:

1) The 21 days is from when you have provided all documentation, all necessary planning and building approvals have been granted and the deposit has been paid.
2) Furthermore, a delay to the commencement date is allowed if there has been any variation requested by the owner, inclement weather, disputes with neighbouring properties or civil/industrial action.

Seems like there would be quite a few 'loopholes' for PD to exercise if they wanted to justify the late start

Yes, we had new drawings done after contract signing. But that was more than a month before I gave them all the requested documents, which by then all the new drawings would be ready. I have raised the question to my BC, still no reply.

Back Pocket
Not sure if you have house and land contract, which maybe different? The standard PD contract when they build on your land, says the commencement date is site scrape. This is the specific piece that they insert into the contract.

It is house & land package. Ours still says commencement = site scrap = start of building period.

BC said that the 21 days was to transfer the files to construction (doesn't mean site start). @_@
I am just about ready to cry.
12 December completion date has now been blown out to a February completion date.
I am beyond disappointed.
Has anyone here dealt with trying to claim "damages for late completion" in the Contract. I have a feeling i will have a fight on my hands.
skye02
I am just about ready to cry.
12 December completion date has now been blown out to a February completion date.
I am beyond disappointed.
Has anyone here dealt with trying to claim "damages for late completion" in the Contract. I have a feeling i will have a fight on my hands.

Skye02, shattered for you.

I believe that it just "comes off" your final payment, rather than PD giving you any money. Have they given you any reasons for this or why the hold up? I know that there is almost a month over christmas where nothing happens, but this is just amazing. Has your BC got any answers?
Their reasons are weather (of course) and the fact that we asked for a three week slab cure time (which was allowed for in the contract). Then they close down four weeks over Xmas but at the end of the day they are still late because weather and our cure time was accounted for!
You should be able to claim $250 per week, but unfortunately as you are close to Xmas with original completion date and now it is after xmas I imagine they will definitely be able to take 4 weeks off the total they are over...are they.well behind where you expected them to be at this point?

meowsy
You should be able to claim $250 per week, but unfortunately as you are close to Xmas with original completion date and now it is after xmas I imagine they will definitely be able to take 4 weeks off the total they are over...are they.well behind where you expected them to be at this point?

Thats what i am concerned about but i figure my handover day should have been BEFORE xmas so the 28 day close down might give them an excuse to close down over that time but they should still be paying me. Im still required to pay my current rent over that time. Might need to get some legal advice if it comes to that. I am so disappointed. A 6 month build is now being dragged out to 8 months and im only building a 27 single storey home
Skye, that sucks, it really does. I hope they can sort out what ever problem you are having sooner. With regards to the contract - if the date of completion was before Xmas and they haven't incorporated the xmas shut down period in the contract you should be entitled to the $250. I know we had a three weeks xmas shut incorporated which added 3 weeks to the date.

I hope they can sort it out quick...

Mummadj - how did you go today?

Claire - your place is flying along now... Looks great... when was your PCI scheduled?

Hi to everyone else...
Keys in our hands.......I am exhausted. We had a little fish and chip picnic on the floor with the kids whilst DH and I sipped champagne. Thank you to everyone again for your wishes for today. I felt quite apprehensive until I had the keys in my hand....
Now we just need to work out where to put everything. Especially in the kitchen. I LOVE my 900mm oven - fab feature in deed! Also received a lovely T2 present from PD.

Have moved several loads this afternoon and still going now. I am packing boxes whilst husband drives them over to the house. Lucky only 4 streets away! The professionals come in on Sunday to move all the bulky heavy stuff!

Skye - that is disappointing, hopefully something amazing happens and they get back on track.

Ally - great news about land titles, as you mention a big step closer. It is amazing how time flies and I thought it would take forever to get to the point where we are now!
MummaDJ
Keys in our hands.......I am exhausted. We had a little fish and chip picnic on the floor with the kids whilst DH and I sipped champagne. Thank you to everyone again for your wishes for today. I felt quite apprehensive until I had the keys in my hand....
Now we just need to work out where to put everything. Especially in the kitchen. I LOVE my 900mm oven - fab feature in deed! Also received a lovely T2 present from PD.

Have moved several loads this afternoon and still going now. I am packing boxes whilst husband drives them over to the house. Lucky only 4 streets away! The professionals come in on Sunday to move all the bulky heavy stuff!

Skye - that is disappointing, hopefully something amazing happens and they get back on track.

Ally - great news about land titles, as you mention a big step closer. It is amazing how time flies and I thought it would take forever to get to the point where we are now!

Congratulations Mumma DJ.
Hope you and your family spend many happy times to come in your new home. All the best.
Cheers, Helen
SS said late feb for pci - he is away for 4 weeks over chrissy.

Lock up this week though.

And some awful awful teens have puked upstairs, and knocked a noggin out - lucky in a way the vandalism wasn't worse but still gross none the less and I think I will have to clean it as SS said they don't really have provision for such occurances and I can't say I blame him - I don't much want to deal with it either and I doubt any tradie will clean it up.
Ummm, WT? How come they don't clean it? It is there site ATM? Sorry, but that is wrong? They need better security if that is the case? Tell me I am not understanding something????
Well being a mum of 5 I have cleaned enough of it and at least can rest easy knowing its cleaned up now as it could have been there for days as it was upstairs etc...no biggy just super gross - I had a chat to a neighbour and will drop my number to her so she can contact if she see anything amiss at night.
clairemumto5
Well being a mum of 5 I have cleaned enough of it and at least can rest easy knowing its cleaned up now as it could have been there for days as it was upstairs etc...no biggy just super gross - I had a chat to a neighbour and will drop my number to her so she can contact if she see anything amiss at night.

That is ridiculous to know that SC asked you to clean this while it's under construction. PD must take responsibility for such incidents before handover.
MummaDJ

Many congrats mummaDJ, hope all your stuff would have moved by now. Oh what a feeling!!!!!

It's time to celebrate in your new kingdom

All the very best.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum